Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

separating, how long to get money

Options
  • 18-02-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

Myself and my partner are about to separate (no date yet). Were both unemployed and currently draw JSA in her name. So my allowance is included in hers.

What I hope to find out is, once we separate, and I put in my own claim for JSA, how long it will take before things get sorted out and I get my money from the point of putting in my application.

I went and asked at the benefits office today, and they gave me the forms for what looks like a new application, that's a scary thought as I know that it can be 8 weeks upwards, and there is no way I can survive a week without money let alone 2 months odd. (no backup funds and I don't have anyone I can ask to help)

We've 2 children, 1 hers 1 both of ours, he will be staying with me at weekends.

Hope someone can help, maybe you've been through the process yourself, all the benefits office said was when we separate bring the forms in that morning (It didn't instill me with much confidence.

ATB.
    Chris

PS If anyone has a job going near Goresbridge,Kilkenny, even if it's picking up dog ****, I'll do it!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

You can ask the dept to separate your claims now,ie you will both get half.when your separated you should stay with the half payment until your new claims are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 christopherb

Hi thanks for that, I wonder why they didn't suggest this. I thought I explained the situation to them pretty plainly.

I'll try, do you know if it can be done by email, or would we both have to attend the local benefits office (signing on office) or would the local cwo be a better bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

If you are not living at the same address you can't have separated payments. You would need to make a new claim in your own right. Because it will be a separation case it might be referred to the Social Welfare Inspector to verify the separation. Once you make your own claim you can go to the CWO to help with payment until your claim is sorted. Kilkenny is an INTREO office so this process should be easier as they are all in the one office.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 christopherb

We will be living at the same address for the time being, so hopefully separate payments would be the way to go, until my partner gets a new place and actually moves, I guess then is the time to make the new application.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

Separate payments is the best way for now. You can apply for your own claim in the mean time and they can be making a decision. As you are living together you will have to have your partner give permission for you to recieve a potion of the payment as it is her claim. The payment amount will remain the same for the entire time you remain living together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement