Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambay Island opening up to the public

Options
  • 18-02-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭

Though it sounds like you'll need to spend a pretty penny to stay there in the castle on the island
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/private-island-lambay-aims-to-entice-rich-guests-30018117.html
    I never knew it was owned by the Baring family, of Barings Bank infamy, iirc the Queen of England lost a fair few million when Nick Leeson collapsed the bank.

Anyone know is Lambay the island off Dublin with a load of wild kangaroos on it ? Or is that Ireland's Eye ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Though it sounds like you'll need to spend a pretty penny to stay there in the castle on the island
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/private-island-lambay-aims-to-entice-rich-guests-30018117.html
    I never knew it was owned by the Baring family, of Barings Bank infamy, iirc the Queen of England lost a fair few million when Nick Leeson collapsed the bank.

Anyone know is Lambay the island off Dublin with a load of wild kangaroos on it ? Or is that Ireland's Eye ?

Lambay has a colony of wallabies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Muahahaha wrote: »

irelands eye has colonies of rats

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Believe the plan is to rent out some of the houses around the castle. I believe that this is done now on a limited basis to people in the know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Believe the plan is to rent out some of the houses around the castle. I believe that this is done now on a limited basis to people in the know

Thought you said "people I know" was about to send you a PM :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Apparently there is also a "Real Tennis" court on the island. One of only a few left in the uk & ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Google earth gives a good look at the island

neris wrote: »
    Apparently there is also a "Real Tennis" court on the island. One of only a few left in the uk & ireland

It is derelict

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It is derelict

The island has a working farm and two people live there full time to look after things, when it's buzzy workers are also brought over to help out, it has it's own power supply by wind turbine. It is also a bird sanctuary and sometimes has bird watchers staying there.

These do trips out to the island if you want to go and have a look http://www.skerriesseatours.ie/

fergal.b wrote: »
    The island has a working farm and two people live there full time to look after things, when it's buzzy workers are also brought over to help out, it has it's own power supply by wind turbine. It is also a bird sanctuary and sometimes has bird watchers staying there.

These do trips out to the island if you want to go and have a look http://www.skerriesseatours.ie/

I meant the Real Tennis Court was derelict

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I meant the Real Tennis Court was derelict

Sorry my mistake :)

lambayislandcourt1.jpeg

lambayislandcourt2.jpeg

• Advertisement

fergal.b wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake :)

lambayislandcourt1.jpeg

lambayislandcourt2.jpeg

Would take a lot of money to restore it and the wall to the right has metal bars and other stuff sticking out. When I was on the Island a few months back they said real tennis had not been played there for about 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

neris wrote: »
    irelands eye has colonies of rats

I think Lambay has black rats
    The ones on the mainland and other islands are brown rats

Did the Barings get their manning? Or is it still ongoing?

Advertisement