Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Jose going too far?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

greendom wrote: »
    Fabregas "some people will have to shut up for a few days" - wonder how Mourinho will respond to that ?

He'll love it. It will keep the media attention on Mourinho, which is exactly what he wants, attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

He doesn't need approval or doesn't seek it. He's a WUM in the greatest sense of the word.

But is he any worse then Ferguson was? There was a vile creature at times if I ever saw one. Got worse with age too. At the end of the day Ferguson is most successful manager in the British football. I think by the end of his career Mou will be the most successful manager of all time and that's all that'll matter to him.

If anyone has read anything about him or heard stories it's pretty plain to see his media image and how he presents himself is completely different to what he's actually like in real life. All part of the package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Its 100% to take any pressure off his players really as nobody is talking about them as a team, just him. He has always done it. A top top manager
    I have never bought this argument.

I think we have ended up in a situation (don't know how it happened) where people believe he says this stuff to take the pressure off his players, but actually he just has a licence to say what he wants, with Chelsea fans and press dressing it up as cunning management.

I don't really think his Chelsea team of proven winners from different countries really need to be shielded from the media. I also think the only media attention he takes is the attention he creates.

If the argument you make is correct, then all the other managers who don't make the kind of/amount of comments he does are not doing their job properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

All Jose has done is be honest.

Wenger had a dig at him and Jose told the truth, Wenger has failed at winning trophies for 8 years now.

Asked about Barca, he replied with what everyone knows and says, that Barca are at their worst for a few years.

Im happy hes being honest rather than listen to managers talking absolute shiite each week and being nice to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

All Jose has done is be honest.

Wenger had a dig at him and Jose told the truth, Wenger has failed at winning trophies for 8 years now.

Asked about Barca, he replied with what everyone knows and says, that Barca are at their worst for a few years.

Im happy hes being honest rather than listen to managers talking absolute shiite each week and being nice to everyone.

1) No he didn't. Watch Wenger's press conference in full rather than Sky Sports News or the Sun and you will clearly see that wasn't the case. But I have a feeling you won't as it will discredit your argument. Thankfully the vast majority of supporters outside of Chelsea saw through Mourinho's reaction for what it was.

2) No they aren't. They are top of La Liga, in the Copa Del Rey Final and just beat Man City away 2-0.

Last year they lost 7-0 to Bayern on aggregate and yet Jose's Real Madrid finished 15 points behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

1) No he didn't. Watch Wenger's press conference in full rather than Sky Sports News or the Sun and you will clearly see that wasn't the case. But I have a feeling you won't as it will discredit your argument. Thankfully the vast majority of supporters outside of Chelsea saw through Mourinho's reaction for what it was.

2) No they aren't. They are top of La Liga, in the Copa Del Rey Final and just beat Man City away 2-0.

Last year they lost 7-0 to Bayern on aggregate and yet Jose's Real Madrid finished 15 points behind them.

I apologise in advance as im a Chelsea fan but from the summaries ive read (not in no Sun rag) it suggests he only mentions Chelsea in regard to being afraid of failure. Maybe what you say is correct but why would any football fan other than an Arsenal one want to watch a full Wenger presser Jaysus time well spent I'd imagine.

The fact that Barca are top of La Liga is no surprise its not exactly the most competitive of leagues the fact that not the usual one but 2 teams are close to them says something they lost at home to Valencia recently. Could well lose the Kings cup and if they meet Bayern meet the same fate, Real wont finish finish 15 points behind them this year.They might be the worst Barca side in years that dont be fooled into thinkin that means they are terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I apologise in advance as im a Chelsea fan but from the summaries ive read (not in no Sun rag) it suggests he only mentions Chelsea in regard to being afraid of failure. Maybe what you say is correct but why would any football fan other than an Arsenal one want to watch a full Wenger presser Jaysus time well spent I'd imagine.

The fact that Barca are top of La Liga is no surprise its not exactly the most competitive of leagues the fact that not the usual one but 2 teams are close to them says something they lost at home to Valencia recently. Could well lose the Kings cup and if they meet Bayern meet the same fate, Real wont finish finish 15 points behind them this year.They might be the worst Barca side in years that dont be fooled into thinkin that means they are terrible.

He didn't actually mention Chelsea or Jose, that's the whole point.

All he gave was a philosophical answer, as in they are probably afraid to fail, its not a personal attack, its true of most managers, including himself.

Nothing wrong in been afraid to fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's no way his response was apropriate to the claim "afraid of failure". That's not even an insult. That's like claiming they "only know how to win".

Anyone who thinks this is gas, is more than likely bored by the game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Loadsa people talking about Jose's comments, very few non-Chelsea fans actually talking about the team. He'll consider that job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

He's the same bullsh1tter he's always been. The problem is that the British media lap it up and make out like he's some kind of Machiavellian because he insults Wenger. Both the press and the public in Spain saw through his pettiness and childish behaviour but for some reason they just lap it up in Britain.

Spot on.

All I hear is how good he is at mind games and how he does it to get the attention away from his team.

I just think he's a bad loser (which is not necessarily a bad thing mind you) and he can't keep his mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Loadsa people talking about Jose's comments, very few non-Chelsea fans actually talking about the team. He'll consider that job done.

Is that true really??

There is plenty of talk about how poor their forwards have been like the same talk about Arsenal being short up front.

The rest of the Chelsea team doesnt really have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

A Chelsea vs Barcelona quarter final would be absolutely smashing, probably one of the few times I would shout for Barcelona.

It's the first time in a long time that I feel Mourinho is surfing a wave with his comments, he's not sure where he's going or how long it will last. He went from describing his team as the "also rans" to launching direct attacks on his two main title rivals. If Chelsea don't win the Premier League he will look like a bit of a fool if the media elect to remember this series of press conferences.

The non Chelsea fans are talking about the City and Arsenal teams as much/little as the Chelsea team.

You'd swear Mourinho was hypnotising people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Take him too seriously? I don't want football to be the WWF. Like I said, there must be people bored of watching the game of football.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Pighead wrote: »
    Think people get a bit too worked up about what players/managers say sometimes. The game is designed to entertain and these little sideshows which Mourinho tends to become involved in only add to the entertainment factor. Give me a press conference with a manager saying something controversial over a bland 'yes/no/maybe' dullfest anyday.

I am all for the added spice these little sideshows add to the atmosphere, and kinda liked Mourihnho the first time around.
    I genuinely thought the PL was worse off without him when he left.

But...

this time around this Mourinho is nasty and there is nothing gamesmanship about his antics, and if anything have now turned into more brinksmanship type manoeuvres for no apparent reason but his own ego which is extremely boring if I am honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Until he sacrifices a small child or animal in the middle of the pitch I couldnt give a bo**ocks what he does as long as he wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I am all for the added spice these little sideshows add to the atmosphere, and kinda liked Mourihnho the first time around.
    I genuinely thought the PL was worse off without him when he left.

But...

this time around this Mourinho is nasty and there is nothing gamesmanship about his antics, and if anything have now turned into more brinksmanship type manoeuvres for no apparent reason but his own ego which is extremely boring if I am honest.
    I find these types of replies quite funny as it sounds like the poster is genuinely affected by Mourinho's words. I mean 'this Mourinho is nasty'! Come on. Throw out a list of his dastardly crimes this season.

All managers are bad losers and can come across as petty and childish when defending their team. Look at Pellegrini last night and his rant against the ref. at least Jose mixes the pettiness with a bit of humour occasionally.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

When Jose (and previously Fergie) talks ****e about other teams in the media, it's "Keeping the pressure off their players"

If a less successful manager does it, they're cracking up or bitter (See Rafa Benitez, Alan Pardew etc).

So the lesson is, if you're going to slag off other teams, make sure you're a damn good manager.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I find these types of replies quite funny as it sounds like the poster is genuinely affected by Mourinho's words..

not affected just an observation- well kinda affected as its nauseating and boring.

I don't think I am on my own when I say that Mourinhos antics (this time around) are a little bit bizarre/nasty for no apparent reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

He's hardly the first manager to talk a bit of self-serving nonsense, but I agree - there's a nastiness to some of his comments that comes off very badly, particularly since his Real Madrid days.

He's always seemed to dislike Wenger and Barca quite personally, and I can partly understand: when Arsenal or Barca lose, a lot of their fans/players/officials start giving out that the other team didn't play 'the right way'. I hate that kind of childish kant, and imagine Jose does too. Still no excuse for some of his comments about Wenger, and I think he'll look very silly if Barca sweep all before them...

not affected just an observation- well kinda effected as its nauseating and boring.

I don't think I am on my own when I say that Mourinhos antics (this time around) are a little bit bizarre/nasty for no apparent reason.

It seems if you have an opinion on his behavior been out of line you're "affected" by his comments and should be embarrassed by this.

He has got to you.

geeky wrote: »
    He's hardly the first manager to talk a bit of self-serving nonsense, but I agree - there's a nastiness to some of his comments that comes off very badly, particularly since his Real Madrid days.

He's always seemed to dislike Wenger and Barca quite personally, and I can partly understand: when Arsenal or Barca lose, a lot of their fans/players/officials start giving out that the other team didn't play 'the right way'. I hate that kind of childish kant, and imagine Jose does too. Still no excuse for some of his comments about Wenger, and I think he'll look very silly if Barca sweep all before them...
    Wasn't he only giving out that west ham don't play the right way two weeks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

geeky wrote: »

Chelsea 0-0 West Ham.

"This football is from the 19th century"

not affected just an observation- well kinda affected as its nauseating and boring.

Honest question. When you hear murmurings that Jose has said something controversial do you
    a/ completely ignore it. You know he's spouting nonsense and simply couldn't care less what boring crap he's come out with now.

or

b/ log on to boards/google/YouTube to find out exactly what he has said and who he has pissed off this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

He suits Chelsea, a team I just can't warm to. But for him to talk of Chelsea as the "little horse" is a joke. Bankrolled by a Russian oligarch, with the squad he has, that comment is either disingenuous or shows he lacks ambition. And we all know he doesn't lack ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I think its great people get so wound up by Mourinho – long may it continue :D

Football is in the entertainment business and Jose certainly adds to it.

I think most people just find him more boring and predicable than a loveable cage-rattler, lately.

Mourinho is gone the way of Ian Holloway.

Funny at the start but once the novelty wears off he's just annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

He's the same bullsh1tter he's always been. The problem is that the British media lap it up and make out like he's some kind of Machiavellian because he insults Wenger. Both the press and the public in Spain saw through his pettiness and childish behaviour but for some reason they just lap it up in Britain.

Pretty much this. I;m a regular listener to the Sunday Supplement which has UK journalists in every weekend talking about the big stories. There has been a noticeable shift in tone the last three weeks, where it has gone from

"He's box office and we love it" to "Ok we love it, but its getting over the line now".

Mourinho only does it because he feels it can cause a little stir, he chips away. He doesn't do it for the laugh imo, he doesn't randomly say stuff in the heat of the moment, it's calculated on his part to try unsettle or even just get a rise out of people.

I'm always indifferent to Mourinho, I respect him as a coach and the work he has done, but I think he sometimes looses the track of himself,and some of his own failings.

I think his comments against Wenger were out of line. Not only down to disrespect, but due to possibly him very much having an obscured view of his own success.

Wenger has operated a number of years within a confined budget and wage structure, being forced to source and locate young bright talent to hopefully transform into first team stars. It's no co-incidence that the revenues streams being opened finally by the new stadium, resulted in a big money signing this summer, and could see Arsenal spend big going forward. A change from buying nurtured youth, into buying proven stars. If that does happen, I can see Arsenal being right back in the mix indefinitely.
    Mourinho has a horrendous track record working with youth. He has been lucky in that since he got a move to Porto based only of getting a team in Portugal punching above their weight, was able to win the CL and domestic league. Fair play. But how often do Porto NOT win the domestic league. And it wasn't an outragously competitive Champions league that year : /

That put Mourinho on the manager merry-go-round of elite clubs. I don't think it's any co incidence that anywhere he went, he had a pretty large transfer budget to operate with. Buying in ready made players rising/peaking in Europe that was no secret, that he got in to mould succesfull squads. Mourinho hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to make any longterm impact at a club. However he does have a habbit of leaving disjointed or in somecases ageing squads with alot of deadwood, when he leaves a club.

I think Madrid is a really interesting case study for Mourinho, one which in due course, we can look back on and analyse properly. But armed with an outragous budget, one of the two best players in the world, he managed to wrestle the league away from Barcalona (who were stink that year). Yet failed to capitalise and establish a defence, being out of the running by nearly December.

Mourinho has had outragous success, is a succesfull manager. But his success can be directly linked with certain parameters, including big budgets and short term success, and no requirements or pressure to imprint a playstyle on a club, deal with a youth acadamy or focus his attention anywhere outside of the first team. Something he's been heavily critised for by Madrid and Milan youth coaches.

I think it's a bit narrow minded of him making those comments about Wenger. As much as they are potentially correct, there is a good arguement that Wenger could have achieved the same success as Mourinho if not more, had he had the budgets made available to him. It's also becoming a bit evident that he really only has one style of play he is comfortable with, a fast direct counter attacking style. One which a La Liga manager openly critised when asked "how do you plan to beat Madrid?". "Beat Madrid, easy...give them possesion, they don't know what to do if they arn't breaking". It's been evident in his career that all his teams simply play counter attacking, direct football. And when in possesion, seem to struggle. I think the only saving grace for him is the ability to buy or have big players who can throw in a moment of magic to change the tide.

Without Hazard this year, Chelsea would be struggling imo.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Mourinho is gone the way of Ian Holloway.

Funny at the start but once the novelty wears off he's just annoying.
    Funny you mention that 'cause I think thew people who get bored with Holloway are the same types who get worked up by Mourinho.

I think they both need to be taken a lot less seriously than they are. Just ignore him if you don't like him. By discussing what he's said to death, you're just giving him oxygen and he'll come back with more next time. And I do believe it shifts the focus from his team to the ridiculous comments that he comes out with.

He's like Dunphy in a way, he spouts utter garbage (which he knows is utter garbage) and people get all worked up about it and start talking about it and challenging him on it (as he should be) but ultimately it does deflect the attention from how his team are doing or other questions that he'd rather not discuss.

Funny you mention that 'cause I think thew people who get bored with Holloway are the same types who get worked up by Mourinho.

I think they both need to be taken a lot less seriously than they are. Just ignore him if you don't like him. By discussing what he's said to death, you're just giving him oxygen and he'll come back with more next time. And I do believe it shifts the focus from his team to the ridiculous comments that he comes out with.

He's like Dunphy in a way, he spouts utter garbage (which he knows is utter garbage) and people get all worked up about it and start talking about it and challenging him on it (as he should be) but ultimately it does deflect the attention from how his team are doing or other questions that he'd rather not discuss.

Just because you think someone is boring doesn't mean you get worked up by them.

Dunphy is great entertainment tbh. Mourinho not fit to lace his boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

v3ttel wrote: »
    Chelsea 0-0 West Ham.

"This football is from the 19th century"

I said he was justified in disliking the moaning - never claimed that he isn't a hypocrite ;)

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Just because you think someone is boring doesn't mean you get worked up by them.
    Oh I agree, I don't see anyone getting worked up by Holloway, just people saying that he should go away. In fairness, he has probably never said anything offensive but some people think that he's just too full of himself and has too much to say so he gets boring very quickly and that's why they don't like him.
    Dunphy is great entertainment tbh. Mourinho not fit to lace his boots!
    Personally, I can't stand Dunphy so I just don't watch what he has to say 'cause I know it's going to get me going. Similarly, I can't understand why people don't just ignore Mourinho, it's really not that hard to do.

I haven't read Mourinho's latest comments, just by reading forums I can get the gist of it and I can easily imagine why people are getting worked up about it. Tbh, it's nothing more than I expected from him. He is a wind-up merchant.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Mourinho has a horrendous track record working with youth. He has been lucky in that since he got a move to Porto based only of getting a team in Portugal punching above their weight, was able to win the CL and domestic league. Fair play. But how often do Porto NOT win the domestic league. And it wasn't an outragously competitive Champions league that year : /

That put Mourinho on the manager merry-go-round of elite clubs. I don't think it's any co incidence that anywhere he went, he had a pretty large transfer budget to operate with. Buying in ready made players rising/peaking in Europe that was no secret, that he got in to mould succesfull squads. Mourinho hasn't stayed anywhere long enough to make any longterm impact at a club. However he does have a habbit of leaving disjointed or in somecases ageing squads with alot of deadwood, when he leaves a club.

I think Madrid is a really interesting case study for Mourinho, one which in due course, we can look back on and analyse properly. But armed with an outragous budget, one of the two best players in the world, he managed to wrestle the league away from Barcalona (who were stink that year). Yet failed to capitalise and establish a defence, being out of the running by nearly December.

Mourinho has had outragous success, is a succesfull manager. But his success can be directly linked with certain parameters, including big budgets and short term success, and no requirements or pressure to imprint a playstyle on a club, deal with a youth acadamy or focus his attention anywhere outside of the first team. Something he's been heavily critised for by Madrid and Milan youth coaches.

I think it's a bit narrow minded of him making those comments about Wenger. As much as they are potentially correct, there is a good arguement that Wenger could have achieved the same success as Mourinho if not more, had he had the budgets made available to him. It's also becoming a bit evident that he really only has one style of play he is comfortable with, a fast direct counter attacking style. One which a La Liga manager openly critised when asked "how do you plan to beat Madrid?". "Beat Madrid, easy...give them possesion, they don't know what to do if they arn't breaking". It's been evident in his career that all his teams simply play counter attacking, direct football. And when in possesion, seem to struggle. I think the only saving grace for him is the ability to buy or have big players who can throw in a moment of magic to change the tide.

Without Hazard this year, Chelsea would be struggling imo.
    Woah! I can understand why people don't like him as a person and have tired of his press persona but to denigrate his achievements like you have above is plain wrong. You put all his success down to money/luck/opposition not being up to much yet not once do you mention his dedication/work ethic/intelligence/man management/tactical know how and his ability to make pretty average players (relatively speaking) play way beyond their norms.

Surely you can't be so one dimensional as to say throwing money at a manager guarantees success? There have been plenty of managers handed open chequebooks who haven't achieved nearly as much as Mourinho has thus far. He's a born winner, an incredibly hard worker and blessed with a huge intellect. I would wager that those three attributes along with the big budgets are the reasons he has been so successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mourinhio is footballs version of Katie Hopkins. I'd love to ignore him, but anything he says is repeated constantly, in the papers, on SSN, before games etc. Its boring, its got to the stage where i can't watch any analysis, i just turn on for ko.

Woah! I can understand why people don't like him as a person and have tired of his press persona but to denigrate his achievements like you have above is plain wrong. You put all his success down to money/luck/opposition not being up to much yet not once do you mention his dedication/work ethic/intelligence/man management/tactical know how and his ability to make pretty average players (relatively speaking) play way beyond their norms.

Surely you can't be so one dimensional as to say throwing money at a manager guarantees success? There have been plenty of managers handed open chequebooks who haven't achieved nearly as much as Mourinho has thus far. He's a born winner, an incredibly hard worker and blessed with a huge intellect. I would wager that those three attributes along with the big budgets are the reasons he has been so successful.

I'm not disregarding his success, as I clearly stated in my post.

But I feel when Mourinho makes those disrespectful comments to managers, which he also did in Italy and Spain, he sometimes forgets just how lucky he is.

Of course he is successful and as I said a good coach. But there is just as many things he is not good at, that is well documented.

There is no "great" managers anymore, just managers good in certain situations. Mourinho is one of them. this Chelsea stint is going to be interesting, to see if it's actually him looking into the longterm, planning, developing and utilising his youths, or if its just another short term plan before he ships out again.

Similarly, I can't understand why people don't just ignore Mourinho, it's really not that hard to do.

Ignoring might be easy for some, but avoiding is impossible. One of the biggest stories yesterday before the City Barcelona game involved his quotes. Now, for me most of the blame lies with the media, but he plays his part and loves it.

I'm not disregarding his success, as I clearly stated in my post.
    That's the problem. You didn't clearly state it. You talked about how he was lucky with Porto and only won the Champions League as it 'wasn't outrageously competitive that year'. How he only won La Liga because 'Barca were stink that year'. You say you're indifferent to Mourinho but it sounds like you dislike the guy and find it hard to give him praise without taking a piece of it back immediately afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

but to denigrate his achievements like you have above is plain wrong....
    I'm not disregarding his success, as I clearly stated in my post....

No you didn't. But you did denigrate them as Pighead suggested. :)

That's the problem. You didn't clearly state it. You talked about how he was lucky with Porto and only won the Champions League as it 'wasn't outrageously competitive that year'. How he only won La Liga because 'Barca were stink that year'. You say you're indifferent to Mourinho but it sounds like you dislike the guy and find it hard to give him praise without taking a piece of it back immediately afterwards.

If its the Champions League in 2010 thata being reffered to, then I dont know how it can be claimed it wasnt competitive.

Inter beat 2010's English champions Chelsea, they knocked out Barcelona and beat Bayern in the final. The Bayern side that was runner up and then winners in the next 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

As a lot of people have stated Mourinho is a pure wind up merchant. He doesn't believe most of what he says and, personally, I find him hilarious and entertaining. Some of his quotes are comedy gold. Hating him for them would be like hating Anthony Hopkins for eating people.

On the Wenger quote, I thought it was funny. Bit crass but that's welcome in a world where blandness usually rules. I did think Wenger had been humiliated a bit but Wenger's response was unusually good and made Jose look a bit silly. It's all part of the fun. They are both world class coaches and everyone knows it - including the two of them.

From my post
    Mourinho has had outragous success, is a succesfull manager.

Granted I didn't dedicate a paragraph to his success, I just felt it wasn't a topic for debate. I think we all know he is a highly successful manager, with the trophy count to prove it. Apologies if that's not coming accross clearly, I see it might not.

But I think there is good grounds to somewhat debate and in certain aspects argue the scenarios and situations of his success. For as much silverware and trophies he was won, there are areas he has defininitly being weak and failed.
    And on that basis I think that it gives him a skewered vision of his abilities and success, and in the latest instance of outbursts, I feel he needs to reign it in a little.

I agree with Wenger in his comments too, Mourinho is taking himself out of the race, to take some pressure of and maybe re-align some expectations. Chelsea are fully capable of winning the title this year, and if they don't it will be down to slipups and points dropped to weaker sides, which Mourinho will need to take the blame for.

So in relation to the original topic "Has he gone to far" I think yes, in some regards he has. While he has oodles of trophies and medals, there are some aspects of coaching and management he has never proven himself with, or has failed with, or maybe its pure doesn't care about. But it just so happens in this instance, in the comments to Wenger, he made them to a man who has outshone pretty much everyone in those areas Mourinho has struggled or ignored.

At the end of the day I doubt anyone actually cares. I don't think Wenger had a cry over it, I doubt the players are impacted. It's media and fans making a deal out if it, Wenger is long enough in the game to not let this stuff bother him.

Chelsea bore alot of hatred from neutrals due to the antics, audacity and attitude of Mourinho, which mellowed after he left, but it's starting to move back to the way it was now, which as much as people will say it doesn't matter, it does matter when the attitude of your manager turns your club into a focal point of hatred and somewhat dislike by the neutral.

But I think there is good grounds to somewhat debate and in certain aspects argue the scenarios and situations of his success. For as much silverware and trophies he was won, there are areas he has defininitly being weak and failed.
    And on that basis I think that it gives him a skewered vision of his abilities and success, and in the latest instance of outbursts, I feel he needs to reign it in a little.

I agree with Wenger in his comments too, Mourinho is taking himself out of the race, to take some pressure of and maybe re-align some expectations. Chelsea are fully capable of winning the title this year, and if they don't it will be down to slipups and points dropped to weaker sides, which Mourinho will need to take the blame for.

Chelsea bore alot of hatred from neutrals due to the antics, audacity and attitude of Mourinho, which mellowed after he left, but it's starting to move back to the way it was now, which as much as people will say it doesn't matter, it does matter when the attitude of your manager turns your club into a focal point of hatred and somewhat dislike by the neutral.

On the above, every manager has weakness, its what makes the human, no manager is perfect and some of there success can be argued if you really wanted to nit pick.

Well thats fairly clear cut, any team that slips up and drops points usually dont win the league, its very rarely the team that win as many games as possible that finishes 2nd, 3rd. If Chelsea dont finish top someof it will be down to his decisions in certain games, like utd at Old Trafford for example.

It really doesnt matter what any other set of fans think, neutral, rival, it doesnt matter a jot, as long as Jose has the Chelsea fans on side thats all that matters, his antics and actions can wind up everyone for all I care, as long as hes doing a good job results wise, thats all that matters in football.

GavRedKing wrote: »

It really doesnt matter what any other set of fans think, neutral, rival, it doesnt matter a jot, as long as Jose has the Chelsea fans on side thats all that matters, his antics and actions can wind up everyone for all I care, as long as hes doing a good job results wise, thats all that matters in football.

There's a difference between Chelsea fans not caring if he's winding up everyone, and Chelsea fans arguing that he's not actually winding up anyone, and is being honest / deflecting attention from his players.

Maybe you don't care which it is, but you can't speak for all Chelsea fans. Quite a few on here clearly do care.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    There's a difference between Chelsea fans not caring if he's winding up everyone, and Chelsea fans arguing that he's not actually winding up anyone, and is being honest / deflecting attention from his players.

Maybe you don't care which it is, but you can't speak for all Chelsea fans. Quite a few on here clearly do care.

Im a Chelsea fan and id agree with Gav, and dont know any that disagree on this subject so please find them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Im a Chelsea fan and id agree with Gav, and dont know any that disagree on this subject so please find them

You don't know any that disagree on what? The purpose of his comments, or that they don't care about the purpose of them?

Did managers used to pull this "mind games" stuff back in the day?

Or has it only been facilitated by 24 hour news cycles etc. It is pretty tiresome at this stage

osarusan wrote: »

I'll make it clearer so, I couldnt give a f**k what he says or who he upsets as long as he wins games and trophies.

His job is to win as much as possible if a by product of his winning attitude is to wind people up then so be it, I dont really care and you'll struggle to find Chelsea fans who do care either way, they're certainly the miniority.

• Advertisement
Advertisement