Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm/CCTV Quote

Options
  • 18-02-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

I moved into my house four years ago and there was an alarm already wired up. I never used it but now herself wants it set up so I'm going to put up cameras aswell to have the lot done together. I had someone out to go through what I want and do me up a quote and below is the basics of the quote. I know nothing about either topic so I'm looking for guidance as to wether the price I got is good bad or average. The quote I got is €1950

1x Quvis 8 Channel DVR c/w1TB,enabled for remote access.

5x 700TVL 2.8mm-11mm vari focal dome cameras

5x Sets of baluns

1x HKC 10/70 alarm panel

1x ESM for alarm panel

4x MC Sensors

2x Key Fobs

1x External Bell Box

1x Battery

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I moved into my house four years ago and there was an alarm already wired up. I never used it but now herself wants it set up so I'm going to put up cameras aswell to have the lot done together. I had someone out to go through what I want and do me up a quote and below is the basics of the quote. I know nothing about either topic so I'm looking for guidance as to wether the price I got is good bad or average. The quote I got is €1950

1x Quvis 8 Channel DVR c/w1TB,enabled for remote access.

5x 700TVL 2.8mm-11mm vari focal dome cameras

5x Sets of baluns

1x HKC 10/70 alarm panel

1x ESM for alarm panel

4x MC Sensors

2x Key Fobs

1x External Bell Box

1x Battery

How are we supposed to put a price on something without actually seeing the premises ib which it is being fitted?
    Now by all means if you just want the equipment that is a different story.
    I trust you got at least 3 quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

kub wrote: »
    How are we supposed to put a price on something without actually seeing the premises ib which it is being fitted?
    Now by all means if you just want the equipment that is a different story.
    I trust you got at least 3 quotes.

I priced all the items on various sites and it added up to €1460. Another quote came in today at €1860.

I was just wondering if the installation was of a straight forward nature would the quote I received be in line with same. I know it's not possible to say in absolute terms whether the quote is bang on or not. I'm just looking for guidance in general terms for your average installation of the above equipment in a 4 bed semi detached house as I know nothing about the topics

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

buy 3 hd ip cameras fit them yourself don't buy 640x480 it sends video to your phone or email

re use the alarm,you getting charged to much,let local person

if wires are ok it would take 2 hours to fit box and 2 bell boxes,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_kk_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A720p+ip+camera&keywords=720p+ip+camera&ie=UTF8&qid=1392755218

I priced all the items on various sites and it added up to €1460. Another quote came in today at €1860.

I was just wondering if the installation was of a straight forward nature would the quote I received be in line with same. I know it's not possible to say in absolute terms whether the quote is bang on or not. I'm just looking for guidance in general terms for your average installation of the above equipment in a 4 bed semi detached house as I know nothing about the topics

Sorry OP but did you get quoted by a PSA licensed installer who visited your home and discussed various options with you? Then based on this did he provide you with a system design proposal?
    I don't mean to be a smart arse or anything but I would recommend that you get quotes from at least 3 PSA licensed installer's.
    Now having said all that and assuming that your home is a typical 4 bed semi then that quote seems about right, does it include vat?

Sorry OP but did you get quoted by a PSA licensed installer who visited your home and discussed various options with you? Then based on this did he provide you with a system design proposal?
    I don't mean to be a smart arse or anything but I would recommend that you get quotes from at least 3 PSA licensed installer's.
    Now having said all that and assuming that your home is a typical 4 bed semi then that quote seems about right, does it include vat?

Iv 2 quotes and they are both licensed installers I checked up the website to make sure and they were both on it and their licences are current.

Vat is included. I was shown different options and how they would work. Where we would put cameras depending on whether I had the budget for the 4 or 8 camera DVR and additional cameras. I was told about the sensors and where it was suggested to put shock sensors and the normal ones. Where there was new ones needed the pros/cons of wireless v wired. Then the info regarding remote access and monitoring of the systems.

I couldn't believe how much you can do with the systems remotely. I never had an alarm when I was at home so I really knew nothing about them.

I didn't take you up as being a smart ass and very much appreciate your input as iv seen your contributions in other threads in the forum and I'm presuming your in the business as you know exactly what your talking about.

• Advertisement

Well if you throw enough mud at a wall, some will invariable stick. I am indeed in the trade and have been for a long while.

Go for one of those, I can only say based on your spec, it seems around right to me.

Just one item, please be mindful of assuming that an activation text-ed to your mobile from your GSM unit is false. People sometimes are very quick to switch the alarm off remotely without considering the insurance implications if the activation is genuine. Switching a system off via text messaging does not conform to EN50131, we all know how insurance companies like to walk away when something like this pops up in a claim situation.
    Also I trust those lads mentioned the vulnerability of GSM units?

Well if you throw enough mud at a wall, some will invariable stick. I am indeed in the trade and have been for a long while.

Go for one of those, I can only say based on your spec, it seems around right to me.

Just one item, please be mindful of assuming that an activation text-ed to your mobile from your GSM unit is false. People sometimes are very quick to switch the alarm off remotely without considering the insurance implications if the activation is genuine. Switching a system off via text messaging does not conform to EN50131, we all know how insurance companies like to walk away when something like this pops up in a claim situation.
    Also I trust those lads mentioned the vulnerability of GSM units?

By vulnerability I take it your talking about people jamming the signal

By vulnerability I take it your talking about people jamming the signal

Correct, once you are aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

if your alarm goes off just log on to the cameras in the house to check false/real alarm and I have still to see a house GSM jammed not saying it never happens but I have not heard of it happening but if anyone else has a better option to command and control an alarm remotely I have not seen it yet price seems right to me aswell

stuartkee wrote: »
    if your alarm goes off just log on to the cameras in the house to check false/real alarm

That's the plan alright, hopefully there's no problems

• Advertisement
Advertisement