Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BATTLEFRONT (by DICE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I think its a mess, personally. Game modes are very poor. The weapons are rubbish. The spawn points in walker mode are horrific to say the least. I think I'll be staying with Destiny for a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Mad_Dave

Thoughts so far:

Drop Zone is ok, gets boring very quickly. Most matches finish 5-0 which says a lot.

Walk Assault is just a bloody mess. BlitzKrieg already covered the bad points, and yes the spawn points are horrendous.

Weapons are pretty poor, no recoil, no real need to ADS most of the time, if at all.

Hit reg is questionable at best, although that's just my opinion and I may be wrong. battlenonsense is doing a video tonight about it, should make for interesting viewing.

Also judging by the amount of fairfight bans popping up now the hackers are hard at work.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Only played a few minutes of it.

First impressions--meh!!
    I was thinking of a Gpu upgrade solely for this game from my old 6870 but its running it fine at medium albeit in windowed mode.

Its not the game I thought I would upgrade for.

Graphics are amazing though. But its more like a consoley type FPS than a fully fledged one that you`d play as a clan.

Thought this might have brought me back to more online PC gaming.As it stands I think Ill just play it on the XB1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

It is a fun game, solid shooting, and possibly the best optimised/best performing DICE game, EA will be launching.

However, there is a strong novelty sentiment coming from the game and I am afraid I have already sampled everything this game has to offer. Vehicles and weapons can not be modded, 12 maps, and less vehicles than a conventional Battlefield game. Apart from a change in scenario, what else does Battlefront have that we haven't already tried in this beta?

Don't get me wrong, it is a solid game (technically), but it feels very stripped down when compared to a Battlefield and I honestly do think I have experienced all that is on offer - except for a change in locale.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Falthyron wrote: »
    It is a fun game, solid shooting, and possibly the best optimised/best performing DICE game, EA will be launching.

However, there is a strong novelty sentiment coming from the game and I am afraid I have already sampled everything this game has to offer. Vehicles and weapons can not be modded, 12 maps, and less vehicles than a conventional Battlefield game. Apart from a change in scenario, what else does Battlefront have that we haven't already tried in this beta?

Don't get me wrong, it is a solid game (technically), but it feels very stripped down when compared to a Battlefield and I honestly do think I have experienced all that is on offer - except for a change in locale.

Couldnt agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Agree with Falthyron

Its an arcadey game that will find its niche, Battlefield gamers are not it tho.

Doubt I will buy it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Noticed some of our old pal "rubberbanding" creeping in earlier on PS4 one - I would hope it was because that console isn't hardwired ATM, but hey it's DICE, did they not just port over BF4s now working engine for it?

Other than that, nope - I'm glad they released the beta as other than the "fcuk me, shiney" graphics I don't think it would keep my interest very long - pretty disappointing I must say...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The card stuff is stupid tbh

Maps are quite poor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Enjoying the beta. The melee is so clunky. I hope they make it a bit more fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

After playing the game for a few hours with my flatmate I really enjoyed it. It's very cinematic and not serious. Quite arcadey but that was to be expected.
    I think as more people relaise the objective for the rebels in assualt walker they will win more.
    All in all im looking forward to buying the compete game in November

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm getting horrible freezes and stutters, game is totally unplayable, even on the main menu. I see a lot of people with the same issue, and all have AMD cards as well. Pain in the ass because I can't play the game at all. Drivers don't make a difference.

I'm getting horrible freezes and stutters, game is totally unplayable, even on the main menu. I see a lot of people with the same issue, and all have AMD cards as well. Pain in the ass because I can't play the game at all. Drivers don't make a difference.

Try uninstalling Origin and then re-install it.

I had the same issues and this fixed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually found that by just leaving the game for a few minutes it actually works fine eventually. the other modes worked grand it's just Walker Assault takes a while to sort itself out for whatever reason.

So after playing over an hour of Walker Assault, the game itself...it's grand but it's really disappointing coming from Battlefront 2 and considering it's a DICE game.

There's a bit of craic to be had but overall it's just such a poor relation to Battlefront 2. Never thought I'd be saying that Hoth on the 10 year old Battlefront 2 is a million times better than Hoth in Battlefront 2015 - but it is.

Also....Battlefront 2 heroes on Hoth were also Vader and Luke. Luke was clad in his rebel flight gear as per Empire - but in this it's Return of the Jedi Luke? Would it have killed them to make it the Luke it should be? :confused:

This was a day one purchase for me from the moment it was announced but after playing the Beta for two hours, it's one I will skip. I'm sure I will pick it up when it's €15 or whatever.

The most positive thing is that the graphics and sound effects are brilliant - really, really immersive. Just a shame that the gameplay is just so half-baked and dumbed down.

As someone who put 100's of hours in Battlefront and Battlefront 2 this is the biggest gaming disappointment I've had in ages. :(

I wonder is this has good as its going to be. I think they might have chosen the best parts of the game to entice people to pre-order.

I am hoping the retail release will be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

I wonder is this has good as its going to be. I think they might have chosen the best parts of the game to entice people to pre-order.

I really hope not. If that's the best of the game I'll go nowhere near it even for significantly dropped price. Tbh I was hoping they'd have a few surprises up their sleaves when the game launches and this is just a stress test on the servers. Thinking about it though they did beta operation metro on bf3 which was one of the better maps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm finding it a bit of fun. Though anything Star Wars gets me excited.

The Hoth battle mode is not right, of course. Maybe with more weapons and vehicles and some balancing it'll play better.

Yeah, there's not much to the Beta, but sure that's to be expected. Throw in a rake more maps, modes and weapons and happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I don't find the walker mode that bad, the rebels have won a lot of the matches I've played.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

The Empire seems to wipe the floor wipe the rebels everytime I play anyway. The machines are very unbalanced, the at-st and ties are far to strong. I also think they need to reevaluate spawning points as you're either a mile away from the action or else dropped right in the middle of the chaos just to be cannon fodder!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Beta extended until Tuesday

Interesting. As soon as I opened Origin today the game started updating. Beta patch maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

weiland79 wrote: »
    Beta extended until Tuesday

Tomorrow you mean?

I only downloaded it last night :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Doesnt look like a day 1 purchase for me, might wait until its bundled with all DLC in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I try to avoid Day 1 purchases anymore, But I would get this.

Hopefully I will just get stuck into my backlog and wait for a sale, but I see myself cracking and getting this at launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

"Battlefront has stopped working", yea I won't be buying this shít heap. Exact same issue with BF4. Every so often it would work for a prolonged lenght of time (anything over 1 day).

"but it's only in Beta", yea good one. I can guarantee you, a small minority of people will be plagued with constant issues with this game and it will not be an enjoyable experience.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Final conclusion for me on the beta after 15+ hours of play which lets be honest is not a beta its almost what we will play in the final build,its merely a preview.
    Far too shallow gameplay, walker assault mode is allover the place , a total mess,simplistic gameplay to applease the console masses,pickups are a total joke,flying and vehicle controls are beyond broken[coming from dice thats just shocking].
    Ofcourse we will see the blinkered folk who see the shiney graphics and the star wars theme and then hear the soundtrack and sound effects and duely wet themselves,totally blind to how shallow this game is and is likely to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/653623737363922944

Not my thing but some may be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I said for months that I was sceptical of this game, especially after I saw footage at E3. I did want a new Battlefront game but I didn't want it to feel like Battlefield. Since I found out DICE were developing it, that's when I started to lose interest. And it was almost exactly as I expected when I played the beta on Saturday. To me, it does feel like a Battlefield game. I do like Battlefield but I also loved the original two Battlefront games by Pandemic. It almost feels like what they did with Medal of Honor. I honestly could barely see any difference between that game and Battlefield 3 at the time.

I was very underwhelmed by Battlefront and I do not think this will be an early purchase for me - especially at full price. Personally, I don't like the idea of paying 60-70 quid on an online-only multiplayer game, especially a shooter. After I found out Need for Speed was going to require an always-online connection to play I instantly got turned off. This game is joining it, unfortunately.

I was excited, but seeing gameplay footage, being fearful of broken servers during launch period, à la Battlefield 4 (and SIMCITY), and experiencing the game first hand has just put me off the game. There's something about EA's developers I have just lost trust in recently. FIFA's no angel. I have FIFA 16 and I love it but how many times do those servers need to crash? I also experienced a horrible glitch that lasted throughout FIFA 14 and FIFA 15 and only got patched out in this instalment. But that's a rant for another day. And I suppose EA isn't the only company that has had broken games on launch (looking at Rocksteady, Evolution Studios and 343 Industries)

Battlefield 4 is heavy stable now, but how long did it take?
    Halo MCC is only barely stable online, but it still takes a while to join a game. And I still cannot continue my single-player playlist after it glitch-launched be back to the first mission and it still hasn't been fixed....

The best multiplayer experience I have had throughout this entire year has been Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on the Xbox One but I digress again.

I don't want to fork out full price for Battlefront. The customer is always right so I will, at the very least, look at everyone's final opinion of their experience and updates on how the game plays, before I even consider buying this game, and even then, I won't be paying full whack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/653623737363922944

Not my thing but some may be interested.

I hate season passes. Well avoid it if I get the game until the pass is on sale.

Edit: Season Pass is 49.99 in the XBOX store. Ultimate edition is 129.00. Got to be the most expensive title yet.

• Advertisement

Oddly enough I played about 3 hrs of Drop Zone tonight and absolutely loved it. Hopefully Drop Zone has plenty of maps in the full game. Walker assault puts me to sleep.

The battles over capturing pods were fierce. I'd like to see what the full game will over. EA Access will help with that since it gives subscribers a 10 hr trial of the retail game.

Edit: 11hrs played during the beta.

Advertisement