Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Irish

Options
  • 18-02-2014 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm looking for some serious help with the junior cert irish course. My teacher is the worst I have ever come across and he puts in little or no effort in class. I can't be moved into a different class because there is no space and my parents won't let me drop down to pass. It's so bad that we have most of the course left to cover before June and having just finished my pres, it looks likely that I failed. If anyone could give me some sample answers for letters, essays, poetry and prose it would be a huge help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭vcshqkf9rpzgoe

Buy a revision book from your local book store around €9

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Billyxjfg

Buy a revision book from your local book store around €9

I already have 2 and can't understand anything because they're all in irish hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭MRledzepo

My teacher : Middle aged guy , been teaching for 35+ years , probably feels he's wasted his life teaching irish , thinks he's been in the school so long that he's a genius , everyone in my class is ****ed for irish , he literally gave us sheets in first year and spent about 1 class talking about them and expects us to remember them , says we should be constantly revising , about 6 people in my class actually understands all the tenses .

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

Well if you're in the position where you don't actually understand the Irish, you basically need to learn vocabulary, like for other languages. Your parents SHOULD let you go down to pass, it's your Junior Cert and it's hardly going to stop you getting into college if you're in pass Irish.

For Cluasthuiscint (Aural), just practice from past exam papers
    For Léamhthuiscint (Reading), exam papers also help
    For the grammar question on Paper 1, learn past/present/future/conditional tenses, and some other rules. Again, look at past exam papers
    For Ceapadóireacht, scéal/eachtra would probably be the easiest because it is always in the past tense
    For Prós and Filíocht (Paper 2), make sure you understand and can write on your studied stories/poems, and make sure you can understand the unseen prós/filíocht
    For litir, learn the layout and make sure to include all points needed.

So basically, the most important thing is do past exam papers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Magenta7

Irish is quite a tough subject especially when you have a bad teacher, but there are several ways to improve your grade.
    For the listening, practise is key, get used to the sound of spoken Irish by practising exam papers or even just watching tg4.
    Write out a list of vocabulary each time you do an exam paper and keep going over them.
    I found the leamhthuiscint the easiest part of the exam and you should aim for close to full marks here. Practise exam papers again and learn the vocabulary.
    For the grammar section, know the tenses inside out (they will help you out in other sections also) Part B is tricky but just practise.
    I would recommend doing the story as it is easiest, learn an opening paragraph, ending paragraph and nathanna cainnte and make sure you know them extremely well. Learn off vocabulary for common topics that appear, concerts, accidents etc.
    For paper 2, I found the studied pros an poetry quite tough and for each I learned off 2 different sample answers. However, you must be able to adapt these to fit the question. Practise changing them around and maybe get someone to correct them.
    For the letter just make sure you're not writing a story, learn opening and end paragraphs and general vocabulary.
    This is how I studied Irish and I managed to get and A. There is still plenty of time, best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

ugh irish. just learn off phrases for your story and most people usually learn off their studied poetry and pros.
    I personally really hate irish, as im never gonna use it outside skwl and they make the exam/course so complicated. If most people can't even speak and have a conversation in irish, what's the point in moving on the poetry and comprehensions. So f**ked up!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Have you done your seen poems and pros? If he hasn't given you any good sample answers I can email you a few! We've done An Tádh and Díoltas an Mhada Rua and for poetry we've done Ted and An Gleann Inár Tógadh Mé. If you've done these but don't have notes let me know :)

Advertisement