Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAMMOCKS AND TARPS

Options
  • 18-02-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, other than online, are these available anywhere? I would imagine they should be in some store in Dublin, but haven't been able to locate any?? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Try army surplus places, if you don't want to buy online.

Army Bargains (Little Mary Street, off Capel Street) sells tarps. http://armybargains.com/

I think that you should be able to pick up a hammock in Millets.

There is an Army Surplus place in Midleton, Cork, that sells all sorts of army surplus and camping gear. I think that they may be prepared to post stuff, if you want to ring them to ask. www.armysurpluswarehouse.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

Much obliged the Mustard! I thought Millets were shut down though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Seems you are right. Sorry about that, leddpipe.

https://www.facebook.com/milletsmarystreet
    it went to a receiver and the stock was liquidated and store closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

The great outdoors do a range of tarps. As for hammocks try the outdoor adventure store or army bargains. I got mine in one of these cant remember which. Its a rope style one not solid material. Cheap enough too and i have it years its good for sleeping in or storing gear off the ground or as a handy seat if you have a tent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

thanks guys!trying to get set up for the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

I went on the hunt for a tarp a few days ago in woodies B & Q and a few other spots but im reluctant to buy one of these as they are very noisy when it rains and when its windy. Also the grommits aren't in ideal locations. I have toyed with the idea of using the heavy duty canvas drop cloth and water proofing it with bees wax and linseed oil. The plus side is you can cut it and sow it to any size you want then wax it and add grommits but its a fair bit work. Another point i noticed with these tarps is there isn't a grommit on the center line so an A frame set ups are not even for use with hammocks.

Let us know how if fairs in the field anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Just bite the bullet and buy the industry standard in this part of the world
    http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/dd-tarp-basha---3m-x-3m-1542-p.asp

Or if you want something more discrete http://www.thearmystore.co.uk/acatalog/British-Army-DPM-Basha---Used-Army-Surplus.html

The woodies and B&Q stuff is grand for a the back garden, but if it's blowing and you're in the woods or hills, you'll wish you spend a few a few more quid and bought a tarp designed for that specific purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Was going to start a new thread, but this suits seeing as it's new enough anyway.

Has anyone done any/much hammock ad tarp camping in Ireland. I like the idea, and I plan on giving it a shot on the run up to the warmer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Just got a cheap hammock on ebay for 25, cames with a mosquito net aswell. Fingers crossed it stays up. Need a tarp for a tenner now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Noblong wrote: »
    Just got a cheap hammock on ebay for 25, cames with a mosquito net aswell. Fingers crossed it stays up. Need a tarp for a tenner now :)

Which one did you get if you don't mind me asking? Looking to pick one up in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lanzecki

Since Hammock camping a few years ago I've always hung unless I'm with the family.

Things I've learnt about Hammocks.

You can sleep in your side.
    String spreader bar Hammocks (Like you see on the beach on the caribbean) should be burnt.
    You will be much cooler then sleeping on the floor. Use a camping mat or self inflatable mat.
    For really cold use an under quilt as well.
    A properly hung Hammock will not throw you out. Noblong's is a good hang :) Essentially you want a slack hammock.
    People will ask the obvious if stupid questions. "How do you get in?", "How do you stop yourself falling out?" and so on.
    Sleep diagonally. Not inline with the straps. If you get it right you'll have a near flat lay. This requires a slack hang.
    You don't need 2 trees, or even one. But it's harder to hang. :)
    Hammocks (with all the extras, Underquilt, Tarp, Straps etc) are not usually lighter then a small tent, but are much more comfortable.
    Hanging a hammock can be done in Minutes. I've used mine on daily hikes with friends. They are still looking for a tree stump or a rock to have lunch on, and I'm already hanging (no tarp).
    Anyone that's tried my hammock has been negative.

All that said, sometimes a tent is the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

I've used my hammock (Byers brazillian mosquito net hammock) and tarp (2mx3m British army camo basha) for loads of weekends in the woods and can highly recommend them. For comfort and a good nights sleep, you can't go wrong. The tarp set up is very handy as you can take the hammock down during the day and have standing room out of the rain and with a bit of practice your talking minutes from picking your spot to fully set up. Then again, I've been camping in the woods, lots of trees to hang the hammock and tarp off. You can set up the tarp without trees once you find a stick or use a walking pole and you can sleep in your hammock on the ground if you want a ground sheet and bug protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jonp4161

Got mine from Tarps Now and I usually have their camo tarp for outdoors and hunting. Holds up pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not good form to dig up a zombie thread. It's 10 years old....

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement