Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Raw Food Diet for puppy; Looking for steps on how to ;)

• 18-02-2014 5:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I have searched a bit about raw feeding and I am looking to change over. I just have a few questions which I can't find answers to online. Maybe I'm not searching enough :P

How much could I buy? I mean, I know the more I buy the cheaper but don't the food go bad? I saw the 40lbs raw food package on dog food direct and thought I could afford it but I am unsure if it would still be fine after a bit of time. Obviously as my puppy is still a puppy, he won't be eating a lot yet.

Is dog food direct's raw food good quality?

Where can I buy additional supplements like fish oil and all the others?

How is the raw food given, microwave heated, from frozen or just defrosted(is microwaving okay?:confused:)?
    My sister owned a dog before and I was a teeny tiny child back then. I couldn't remember if the chicken bone(I think it was the leg bone) was cooked or raw but whatever it was, our vet said that the dog had died due to the bone. This was years ago and it was in my home country. However, this incident had the idea stuck to my head that bones are bad for dogs. I know people recommend to feed dogs bones too if they're on a raw diet so I'm guessing the idea is wrong but I just have to ask.
    TL;DR: What kind of bones are okay for dogs and what aren't(if any, raw or cooked)?

Thanks you for your time and responses. They're appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

If your on Facebook, look up dogs first or check here http://dogsfirst.ie/. They have lots of information on raw feeding. Unfortunately the owners not on here anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

sparky63 wrote: »
    If your on Facebook, look up dogs first or check here http://dogsfirst.ie/. They have lots of information on raw feeding. Unfortunately the owners not on here anymore.

Ah. Thanks a lot. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What kind of pup is it? You'd be surprised how much they eat! For my pup I decided to take my chances and do a straight swap over without fasting and we had no problem. Dogsfirst had a buy one get one free offer just before I got her so I got 2 boxes of gRAW and fed her that, then moved her onto duck necks the same as my other dog eats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Hi everyone. I have searched a bit about raw feeding and I am looking to change over. I just have a few questions which I can't find answers to online. Maybe I'm not searching enough :P

How much could I buy? I mean, I know the more I buy the cheaper but don't the food go bad? I saw the 40lbs raw food package on dog food direct and thought I could afford it but I am unsure if it would still be fine after a bit of time. Obviously as my puppy is still a puppy, he won't be eating a lot yet.

Do you have freezer space? You can buy bulk and freeze it. It works out far cheaper.
    Is dog food direct's raw food good quality?
    I don't know, I haven't tried it. Although they posted up a picture of what they claimed were chicken necks last week that looked nothing like the chickens necks that I feed my dog!
    Where can I buy additional supplements like fish oil and all the others?

I buy my salmon oil from healthy hounds, kelp/herbal supplements available from dogsfirst.

[QUOTEHow is the raw food given, microwave heated, from frozen or just defrosted(is microwaving okay?:confused:)?[/QUOTE]

Never microwave it, it will cook the food, and if there's bones in it then it can be very dangerous.
    My sister owned a dog before and I was a teeny tiny child back then. I couldn't remember if the chicken bone(I think it was the leg bone) was cooked or raw but whatever it was, our vet said that the dog had died due to the bone. This was years ago and it was in my home country. However, this incident had the idea stuck to my head that bones are bad for dogs. I know people recommend to feed dogs bones too if they're on a raw diet so I'm guessing the idea is wrong but I just have to ask.
    TL;DR: What kind of bones are okay for dogs and what aren't(if any, raw or cooked)?

Thanks you for your time and responses. They're appreciated. :)

Never feed cooked bones, they can splinter and perforate the stomach and the intestine and that's how they can kill a dog.

Raw chicken bones are very safe, nice and soft and easily digestible. Duck would be similar but some parts of turkey (legs) can be too hard because of the weight they have to bear and turkeys are given a longer life than smaller poultry. Raw fish is fine, but lamb/beef/pork weight bearing bones can be too hard and can damage teeth - If you get butcher bones ask for ribs, shoulders if possible.

tk123 wrote: »
    What kind of pup is it? You'd be surprised how much they eat! For my pup I decided to take my chances and do a straight swap over without fasting and we had no problem. Dogsfirst had a buy one get one free offer just before I got her so I got 2 boxes of gRAW and fed her that, then moved her onto duck necks the same as my other dog eats.

We aren't sure but the vet said he's definitely half collie. And we were also told he was definitely half terrier. He kinda looks like a cross breed of the two breeds so maybe he is maybe he isn't. He does look like a collie and short legged which I'm guessing is from the terrier side. Here's a picture so you could judge for yourself :P 4sed52.jpg

He's 5.5kg at around 9 weeks(age approximated by the vet).

Looked at dogsfirst but it is dearer than the price I seen at dog food direct. Might not be able to afford it if it cost that much. Any comment about quality?

What does the G stand for at gRaw..? No clue :confused:

• Advertisement

Do you have freezer space? You can buy bulk and freeze it. It works out far cheaper.

I don't know, I haven't tried it. Although they posted up a picture of what they claimed were chicken necks last week that looked nothing like the chickens necks that I feed my dog!

I buy my salmon oil from healthy hounds, kelp/herbal supplements available from dogsfirst.

Never microwave it, it will cook the food, and if there's bones in it then it can be very dangerous.

Never feed cooked bones, they can splinter and perforate the stomach and the intestine and that's how they can kill a dog.

Raw chicken bones are very safe, nice and soft and easily digestible. Duck would be similar but some parts of turkey (legs) can be too hard because of the weight they have to bear and turkeys are given a longer life than smaller poultry. Raw fish is fine, but lamb/beef/pork weight bearing bones can be too hard and can damage teeth - If you get butcher bones ask for ribs, shoulders if possible.

Great answers. Thanks a lot. I will take notes :)

About the microwaving thing, I meant microwave it to defrost. How do you prepare the raw food? Would I have to defrost it for a few hours(without microwave) prior to feeding?

EDIT: I just googled healthy hounds and a lot of stuff came up. What did you mean by healthy hounds? Is that a website or a place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What does the G stand for at gRaw..? No clue :confused:

It's pronounced grá like the irish for love... Although everyone I know calls it g-raw lol! :p

Lovely little pup btw :)

tk123 wrote: »
    It's pronounced grá like the irish for love... Although everyone I know calls it g-raw lol! :p

Lovely little pup btw :)

Oh. Haha. I pronounced it graw. Lol. Thought it could be an actual acronym like BARF or something.

So, what did you think of the quality of the gra? ;)

Thanks I get that a lot :P

Great answers. Thanks a lot. I will take notes :)

About the microwaving thing, I meant microwave it to defrost. How do you prepare the raw food? Would I have to defrost it for a few hours(without microwave) prior to feeding?

EDIT: I just googled healthy hounds and a lot of stuff came up. What did you mean by healthy hounds? Is that a website or a place?

Sorry, should have linked -

https://www.facebook.com/HealthyHoundsSalmonOil

Thanks again. :)

Just to ask again as I really have no clue:

• Advertisement

Thanks again. :)

Just to ask again as I really have no clue:

I wouldn't use the microwave at all, even on defrost mode, I just wouldn't trust it. Just defrost the food as you need it, if you get caught short a tin of sardines, a raw egg mixed with a bit of spud will be a stopgap. If my meat hasn't thawed and my pair are waiting for their food I'll put it in it's bowl in a basin of boiling/hot water for a short while to speed up the defrosting:)

I wouldn't use the microwave at all, even on defrost mode, I just wouldn't trust it. Just defrost the food as you need it, if you get caught short a tin of sardines, a raw egg mixed with a bit of spud will be a stopgap. If my meat hasn't thawed and my pair are waiting for their food I'll put it in it's bowl in a basin of boiling/hot water for a short while to speed up the defrosting:)

I think I have to just be really careful with my defrosting schedule at first as I have to keep it at one protein source initially to get him used to the raw food, right? But if he is used to, I'll definitely use this tip. Thanks a lot yet again. Great great help. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

What I do OP is take out tomorrows food when feeding the evening meal and its fully defrosted by the morning.

Except yesterday I forgot so she got sardines, scrambled egg and rice! :p

toadfly wrote: »
    What I do OP is take out tomorrows food when feeding the evening meal and its fully defrosted by the morning.

Except yesterday I forgot so she got sardines, scrambled egg and rice! :p

Fridge it during the day after defrosting through the night, yeah?

Are they okay eating cold food?

Is there a list of absolute no-no food? I know a little of them but would like a full list.

When you say sardines, would it be the sardines with sunflower oil or brine? Would you give her the sardines with the oil too yeah?

Thanks a lot for the great help. Can't stress how much I appreciate all your replies guys. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Fridge it during the day, yeah?

Are they okay eating cold food?

Is there a list of absolute no-no food? I know a little of them but would like a full list.

When you say sardines, would it be the sardines with sunflower oil or brine? Would you give her the sardines with the oil too yeah?

Thanks a lot for the great help. Can't stress how much I appreciate all your replies guys. Thanks again.

I take it out around 6pm and leave it on the counter until I feed the morning half at 7am, then into the fridge until 6ish and then take another portion out of the freezer. I bought a small chest freezer and get around 3 months worth of food at a time. She eats around 450-500g a day.

I buy sardines in tomato sauce from Aldi, think they cost around 55c. I always keep a supply of sardines, eggs and microwave rice in the press so I always have a quick meal for her if I have forgotten to take the raw out.

toadfly wrote: »
    I take it out around 6pm and leave it on the counter until I feed the morning half at 7am, then into the fridge until 6ish and then take another portion out of the freezer. I bought a small chest freezer and get around 3 months worth of food at a time. She eats around 450-500g a day.

I buy sardines in tomato sauce from Aldi, think they cost around 55c. I always keep a supply of sardines, eggs and microwave rice in the press so I always have a quick meal for her if I have forgotten to take the raw out.

So give it to them with the sauce?

Thanks yet again. :)

Here's a big thread that started about 18 months ago with loads of info :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80681796

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

I feed my dog a mix of different things, and for my cats just duck hearts (they get dried food as well). I freeze the stuff bagged up in 1kg portions, and thaw the bags out in a coolbox in the kitchen. After 24 hours in the coolbox they are ready to feed, and go in lunchboxes in the fridge. All this keeps the stuff safe from maggots or other contamination, and I have never had a problem with this system. I'd say it would thaw out quicker without the coolbox, but after seeing flies visit during the summer I was not happy with that, as you can imagine, and actually found keeping a coolbox for it the easiest way, plus from a microbiological viewpoint, it is always better to thaw meat a bit slower anyway.

As regards the tinned sardines, either the brine or the tomato are better than the sunflower oil, as the latter contains Omega 6, rather than Omega 3 fatty acids, which is not only not terribly good for them, but will block the action of the Omega 3 from the sardines.

Advertisement