Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun safe in the attic ? good or bad idea

Options
  • 18-02-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello there

I'm getting a gun safe for a shotgun and I'm thinking of mounting it in the attic. I'd like it out of sight, will this be bad for the gun ? damp, cold etc . And if so would insulation help. Any other ideas welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The attic will usually be colder than the rest of the house, so when you bring cold guns into the warmer air there will be condensation on them or they'll "sweat". If you leave them a while before you case them and wipe off the condensation they will be fine. The opposite is then the case when you ring them back from the warm air back into the colder air of the attic. You can also buy a cheap dehumidifier made especially for gunsafes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 twowheels

Thanks Rowa , that makes sense
    rowa wrote: »
    The attic will usually be colder than the rest of the house, so when you bring cold guns into the warmer air there will be condensation on them or they'll "sweat". If you leave them a while before you case them and wipe off the condensation they will be fine. The opposite is then the case when you ring them back from the warm air back into the colder air of the attic. You can also buy a cheap dehumidifier made especially for gunsafes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

rowa wrote: »

Plus 1 on that,have mine in attic for years no probs, have a few bags of silica gel to absorb moisture

Plus 1 on that,have mine in attic for years no probs, have a few bags of silica gel to absorb moisture

Thanks. , I'll give it a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I have mine in the attic, find it a pain in the ass going up to get the gun or put it away,
    My attic isn't floored or wired properly for light and pull down ladder acces,
    I'll be moving it downstairs as soon as i do up the house.

I also herd not to mount the safe to a chimney breast hot/cold transfers through the safe,????
    Not sure where I herd that, could be bullsoup though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jennyartelle

Just buy a new one:D http://www.topgunsafereview.com/

The Winchester Big Daddy , my wife would love that in the house !! :)

Advertisement