Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible HIN1 (Swine Flu) is back in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I have taken many other vaccines and would encourage people and children to do but not swine flu when it was first produced.
    Pharma have made mistakes before and will again.

So how did you come to the conclusion that the swine flu vaccine was the one to avoid while others were A-ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Big Money trumps regulations every time!

Any evidence for that? What specific regulations were broken, by whom, when and where?

And you didn't answer my previous question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

El Guapo! wrote: »
    So how did you come to the conclusion that the swine flu vaccine was the one to avoid while others were A-ok?

Simple;
    The speed of it's production and release to market. 2009 outbreak, 2009 cure...alarm bells!
    The hype put on swine flu to enable the release.
    I have trust issues and do not like to be the first to try anything!
    I am young and healthy and knew I would survive it and get immunity the natural way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

MadsL wrote: »
    Is the cure worse than the disease in this case? Serious question.

Thalidomide is still on the market and is used in leprosy and canncr treatment. The 50s and 60s example lead to more structured drug regulations and controls.

Science learns from its mistakes. Fear simply replicates without basis in fact.

I can't say I've ever met anyone with "normal" flu, let alone swine flu, bird flu or the next new flu BUT one of my best friends has no arms due to her mother being prescribed thalidomide in the 60s.

So excuse my scepticism that the great pharmaceutical companies have all the answers.

Any evidence for that? What specific regulations were broken, by whom, when and where?

I determined both of them stupid questions and I am immune to those.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    I can't say I've ever met anyone with "normal" flu, let alone swine flu, bird flu or the next new flu BUT one of my best friends has no arms due to her mother being prescribed thalidomide in the 60s.

So excuse my scepticism that the great pharmaceutical companies have all the answers.

That's not what I said. And if they had 'all the answers' they'd stop funding research now wouldn't they?

I determined both of them stupid questions and I am immune to those.

So you cannot answer them. OK.

Where do you get your information from then about this 'untested' vaccine or the 'inadequate' nature of the testing.

You know, the facts that you base this opinion on. Where does that information come from?

So you cannot answer them. OK.

Where do you get your information from then about this 'untested' vaccine or the 'inadequate' nature of the testing.

You know, the facts that you base this opinion on. Where does that information come from?

Post #64. I need to go now, the Mentalist is starting soon.

Do let me know if you grow a snout and curly tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Simple;
    The speed of it's production and release to market. 2009 outbreak, 2009 cure...alarm bells!
    I am young and healthy and knew I would survive it and get immunity the natural way.

The speed with which it was released doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe.
    Personally, I'd rather base my opinion on scientific fact.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    The speed with which it was released doesn't necessarily mean it's unsafe.
    Personally, I'd rather base my opinion on scientific fact.

:D Now you're thinking...:eek:;)

• Advertisement

Simple;

2009 production is useless in 2010 as the virus mutates.
    2010 production in 2009 is impossible due to temporal vortex malfunctions.

Yeah, all the people they killed to make it look like the flu is deadly.
    If you were taking the vaccine in Ireland you are not the first by a long shot.

Epidemics do work that way, at the cost of killing off the old and vulnerable. We can reintroduce measles, mumps, chicken pox and plague if you prefer to do it "the natural way".

Post #64. I need to go now, the Mentalist is starting soon.

Do let me know if you grow a snout and curly tail.

Your level of critical thinking is breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Never took the vaccine and have no intention of taking it. Unless its tried and tested im not putting my faith in the people who make these vaccines and just presume its going to work without side effects. Im quiet happy to let other members of the general public be guinea pigs.

Well this is disturbing. http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/j-j-pay-2-2b-end-drug-label-kickback-probes-f8C11518989

Don't you think?

It's all about the money.

Never took the vaccine and have no intention of taking it. Unless its tried and tested im not putting my faith in the people who make these vaccines and just presume its going to work without side effects. Im quiet happy to let other members of the general public be guinea pigs.

It is "tried and tested".

And you are quite happy to spread the virus to young children and the elderly and let them die are you? Almost 579,000 people could have been killed by it in 2009.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

What ever happened to the other flu epidemic which some suggested would wipe out half the world? For example, bird flu - were there vacines for bird flu? I know some of them caused panic in China and elsewhere and then just went away after killing a few old people. Shure wouldn't the "Irish" flu kill old people? Was the Spanish flu the one that killed loads after WW1?
    I did not take the H1N1 vacine yet. I probably will not take it. I've heard it isn't that bad.

Well this is disturbing. http://www.nbcnews.com/business/business-news/j-j-pay-2-2b-end-drug-label-kickback-probes-f8C11518989

Don't you think?

Regulators gonna regulate. They are doing their jobs. This is a good thing and will increase controls.

Where am I arguing for no controls on drug companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

It is "tried and tested".

And you are quite happy to spread the virus to young children and the elderly and let them die are you? Almost 579,000 people could have been killed by it in 2009.

Thanks.

It may come as a total shock, but side effects dont just happen over night. And id have to have to virus to start going around killing people.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ShaneSheep555

Don't you think?

I seen this a few minutes ago!
    It's a money racket in MY OPINION (Caps because some people don't understand the word) ;)

• Advertisement

Birroc wrote: »
    What ever happened to the other flu epidemic which some suggested would wipe out half the world? For example, bird flu - were there vacines for bird flu? I know some of them caused panic in China and elsewhere and then just went away after killing a few old people.

It did not make a significant species jump. H5N1 simply killed millions of poultry, we got lucky.

Shure wouldn't the "Irish" flu kill old people?
    Flu can kill anyone.

Was the Spanish flu the one that killed loads after WW1?
    50 million to 100 million
    I did not take the H1N1 vacine yet. I probably will not take it.
    Why?
    I've heard it isn't that bad.
    Did you miss the part about the latest outbreak killing 200+ in LA?

I seen this a few minutes ago!
    It's a money racket in MY OPINION (Caps because some people don't understand the word) ;)

Based on what evidence? That drug companies get paid?

On that basis doctors are a money racket, so are dentists, so is the water in your tap.

On that basis doctors are a money racket, so are dentists, so is the water in your tap.

Did you even glance at the links in post 80?

Kickbacks!!!!!

Have you not read the links Chucken posted? Maybe he should post them again? :)

Did you even glance at the links in post 80?

Kickbacks!!!!!

Yes. Every single drug that is branded gives some form of incentive to doctors. That is how the patent system works.

Did you think drug companies do this out of altruism. Is this really news to you?

Once a patent expires we get generics which only have a place on the market because of the advertising of the original branded drugs.

Have you not read the links Chucken posted? Maybe he should post them again? :)

Yes I read them. I saw regulation working as it should.

Did you read the questions I posed to you, or should I post them again.

You think that top scientists who convinced the World Health Organization (WHO) to declare H1N1 a global pandemic held close financial ties to the drug companies that profited from the sale of those vaccines.

Thats regulation working??

I answered all your questions in full? What questions did I not answer? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

It did not make a significant species jump. H5N1 simply killed millions of poultry, we got lucky.
    Flu can kill anyone.
    50 million to 100 million
    Why?
    Did you miss the part about the latest outbreak killing 200+ in LA?

So a flu like Spanish flu I need to worry about. From all accounts, swine flu was over-hyped. No I did not hear about the LA 200. I am not going to worry about it. You are probably worrying enough for all of us.

• Advertisement

You think that top scientists who convinced the World Health Organization (WHO) to declare H1N1 a global pandemic held close financial ties to the drug companies that profited from the sale of those vaccines.

Thats regulation working??

I'd be more surprised if "top scientists" in the epidemiology field didn't work for companies producing vaccines.

But while you are there perhaps you might give me a figure on the numbers of children who died as a result of the totally spurious scare data about MMR and autism?

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.c5347

Advertisement