Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible HIN1 (Swine Flu) is back in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I don't need to use science, I'm not trying to persuade anyone not to take the vaccine. It's simply my choice not to take the swine flu vaccine. You can back up your view with all you want, I'm still not going to take it until I personally feel its safe to do so.

In my mind, any new vaccines are a bit like a minefield. If you and me are standing at the edge of a minefield, ill quiet happily let you go first, if you make it through without stepping on a mine, I'll know its safe.

I don't need to prove anything, it's my choice not to take it, I'm not trying to persuade you not to. OP asked people's opinions, I gave mine. I'm not here trying to prove anything.

Your analogy is broken, when it comes to vaccines we have to skip through the minefield holding hands. My path may be clear (I took the vaccine) but I may still push you onto a mine.

Ofc your choice affects me, how else am I gonna know its safe to take if people like you don't have blind faith in science and money making organisations.

I'll try not start a global pandemic, promise.

Blind faith is for religions - this is science.

And the pandemic is out of your control unless you take the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Jernal wrote: »
    There's no difference. All flu vaccines are manufactured the same. You pick the strain of flu, then grow the vaccines the same way you do all others. The testing standard is identical.

Identify virus.
    (Very often vaccines for this virus will be mostly identical ingredients wise.Why? Because they're deemed safe and understood. The adjuvant for most flu vaccines is identical.)
    Identify strain.
    Construct vaccine.
    Test it.

All vaccine for each flu season are more or less the same process. All that varies is the strain and any minor changes it will entail.

Finally, the flu can cause narcolepsy. So unfortunately that means that some vaccines carry the risk of it too. Worth pointing out though that a banana is generally safe for everyone too. Unfortunately you're also at risk of an allergic reaction.

Now, your question is how likely? My answer is 300 times more likely than being killed by Jose Mourinho. My point?
    Why do people say something is X times more likely to kill you?
    Why can't they say it is has Y chance of killing you?
    Because generally if they use Y it doesn't sound scary at all. Especially when compared to everyday risks.

Sounds good to me. Be sure and get your annual flu vaccination. Why do people think I'm trying to dissuade others from flu vaccinations. If you have faith in them, go and get them, I don't get flu vaccinations and have no plans to get them.

I have not had the flu in nearly twenty years, if you feel by getting the flu vaccination is in your best interests, nothing is stopping you from getting one.

MadsL wrote: »
    Your analogy is broken, when it comes to vaccines we have to skip through the minefield holding hands. My path may be clear (I took the vaccine) but I may still push you onto a mine.

That is were your wrong, my analogy stands, I don't have to skip through the minefield holding hands with you, it's called choice, a lot of people have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not trying to persuade you one way or the other. It is your choice and I respect that. Just trying to ensure you have accurate perceptions before making that choice.

Swine flu jab is a moot point anyway. Vaccine long since rendered obsolete.

• Advertisement

That is were your wrong, my analogy stands, I don't have to skip through the minefield holding hands with you, it's called choice, a lot of people have it.

So how long are you erpared to wait? 3 months or a lifetime, since the virus mutates every year.

Still no rational reasoning being made I see.

Blind faith is for religions - this is science.

And the pandemic is out of your control unless you take the vaccine.

Duh, I thought the subtle sarcasm wasn't so subtle.

But if it helps, if I ever do get the swine flu I'll promise not board a plan to every capital city on the planet.

So how long are you erpared to wait? 3 months or a lifetime, since the virus mutates every year.

So it's my job to make you understand why I didn't and won't take the vaccine, eh no.

Again OP asked people's opinion, I gave mine - am I going to fast.

I didn't say my opinion was right, but it's mine to give - keeping up with me?

If your want to go out and take every vaccination available, be my guest - still with me.

I don't have to make any rational reasoning, I'm not trying to argue for or against vaccines. I gave my opinion, it's something you do when asked for it, it doesn't have to be the right answer for you, I'm not trying to persuade you of anything. Hope that was easy to follow.

Jernal wrote: »
    Not trying to persuade you one way or the other. It is your choice and I respect that. Just trying to ensure you have accurate perceptions before making that choice.

Swine flu jab is a moot point anyway. Vaccine long since rendered obsolete.

Fair enough, point taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I don't have to make any rational reasoning, I'm not trying to argue for or against vaccines. I gave my opinion, it's something you do when asked for it, it doesn't have to be the right answer for you, I'm not trying to persuade you of anything. Hope that was easy to follow.

Reasoning is generally required for a discussion to take place. . .

• Advertisement

Duh, I thought the subtle sarcasm wasn't so subtle.

But if it helps, if I ever do get the swine flu I'll promise not board a plan to every capital city on the planet.

You won't need to, being infectious is enough, that's how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I died once of man flu.

But I'm alright now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ShaneSheep555

Oh dear. Some people just have a lot of difficulty understanding.

Are you referring to me?
    Well sorry if you find it difficult to understand me, I just don't see any point in ' developing ' a vaccine and later finding out that you MIGHT develop narcolepsy.

38 British people who developed narcolepsy after receiving the "Pandemrix" swine flu vaccine in 2009 - 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

On the plus side, MadsL has shown that he does not have narcolepsy because he stayed up all night arguing his point. I doubt he persuaded many reluctant people to sign up for the swine flu jab. It's interesting to see all the people that did take the jab wanting everyone else to sign up asap, this is how religions start...

On the plus side, MadsL has shown that he does not have narcolepsy because he stayed up all night arguing his point. I doubt he persuaded many reluctant people to sign up for the swine flu jab. It's interesting to see all the people that did take the jab wanting everyone else to sign up asap, this is how religions start...

Look at this :rolleyes: http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2014/01/the-reasons-these-nurses-give-for-avoiding-the-flu-vaccine/

Are you referring to me?
    Well sorry if you find it difficult to understand me, I just don't see any point in ' developing ' a vaccine and later finding out that you MIGHT develop narcolepsy.

38 British people who developed narcolepsy after receiving the "Pandemrix" swine flu vaccine in 2009 - 2010.

So we acknowledge that we have about 3.6 cases of narcolepsy per 100.000 vaccinated subjects based on Swedish studies. In one flu vaccine. Big whoop.

Did you miss the part about half a million people dying in 2009?

I really enjoyed the other "Topics Covered at Top Secret Writers"

Amazing Adventures
    Conspiracy Theories
    Corruption and Crime
    Environment
    Fringe Science
    General Scams
    Government Intelligence
    Illuminati
    Inside China
    Religion and Cults
    Research Tips
    Science Scams
    Secret Military Bases
    Space Exploration
    Spy Gadgets
    Stories from the Web
    Strange History
    The MJ-12 Myth
    Top Secret Projects
    Ufology
    Vampires

I'll add it to my comedy news site lists along with examiner.com, naturalnews.com, and rabble.ca that Chucken pointed out.

So we acknowledge that we have about 3.6 cases of narcolepsy per 100.000 vaccinated subjects based on Swedish studies. In one flu vaccine. Big whoop.

Did you miss the part about half a million people dying in 2009?

I really enjoyed the other "Topics Covered at Top Secret Writers"

Amazing Adventures
    Conspiracy Theories
    Corruption and Crime
    Environment
    Fringe Science
    General Scams
    Government Intelligence
    Illuminati
    Inside China
    Religion and Cults
    Research Tips
    Science Scams
    Secret Military Bases
    Space Exploration
    Spy Gadgets
    Stories from the Web
    Strange History
    The MJ-12 Myth
    Top Secret Projects
    Ufology
    Vampires

I'll add it to my comedy news site lists along with examiner.com, naturalnews.com, and rabble.ca that Chucken pointed out.

It may be comedy news to you :cool:

It may be comedy news to you :cool:

If you want a serious discussion, link to a serious respected source, not a website that runs stories about UFOs, the Illuminati and Vampires, otherwise you just look foolish.

If you want a serious discussion, link to a serious respected source, not a website that runs stories about UFOs, the Illuminati and Vampires, otherwise you just look foolish.

What do you want? A link about ''The Reasons These Nurses Give For Avoiding the Flu Vaccine'' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What do you want? A link about ''The Reasons These Nurses Give For Avoiding the Flu Vaccine'' ?

Hmmmm

Headline Obamacare causes forced vaccination

And the title of the website "Top Secret " writers aka Fortran times

Seriously

Come back when you have real scientific verified in journals or other proof

Not a bunch of weido alien abduction Obama is really from Mars !!! Websites

• Advertisement

How about facts, rather than proof that there are at least five crazy people working in the medical sciences field.

That or "Ten Reasons Why These Nurses Will Not Wash Their Hands", like whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Also that article was written by a Feng shui practitioner who runs paranormal workshops :pac:

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Also that article was written by a Feng shui practitioner who runs paranormal workshops :pac:

Stop. Too funny.

Gatling wrote: »
    Hmmmm

Headline Obamacare causes forced vaccination

And the title of the website "Top Secret " writers aka Fortran times

Seriously

Come back when you have real scientific verified in journals or other proof

Not a bunch of weido alien abduction Obama is really from Mars !!! Websites

Here we go :) Would the Guardian.com be factual enough?
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/aug/18/nurses-swine-flu-vaccine-safety

How about facts, rather than proof that there are at least five crazy people working in the medical sciences field.

That or "Ten Reasons Why These Nurses Will Not Wash Their Hands", like whatever...

Here we go... Would the Guardian.com be factual enough?

That article is from August 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Here we go :) Would the Guardian.com be factual enough?

30% based off a magazine's online poll

Madsl wake me up when Elvis announces his come back in Croke Park

30% based off a magazine's online poll

Based on an unreleased vaccine before H1N1 went on to kill half a million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Just because someone is a nurse doesn't make them immune to stupidity.

Of course if we flip it around we could have the headline as 'Overwhelming majority of nurses approve of the flu jab'....

• Advertisement

Madsl wake me up when Elvis announces his come back in Croke Park

Bord Gáis Energy Theatre do ya?

http://www.aikenpromotions.com/component/eventlist/details/9972-elvis-presley-on-stage-live.html

Advertisement