Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible HIN1 (Swine Flu) is back in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ShaneSheep555

MadsL wrote: »
    That article is from August 2009.

Yes? In 2009, the nurses (Yes the people that treat the sick) are refusing to get the vaccine because they didn't know what was in it.

This was my original point - In 2009 people were cautious about the vaccine as they did not know what was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Just because someone is a nurse doesn't make them immune to stupidity.

Or reluctance to answer yes to a poll that asks would you take a vaccine that had not yet licensed for public use.

Or reluctance to answer yes to a poll that asks would you take a vaccine that had not yet licensed for public use.

And of course people would say no?

And of course people would say no?

What do you think that article proves NOW in 2014?

Please do enlighten us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Based on an unreleased vaccine before H1N1 went on to kill half a million people.

Quit your jibber jabber hype and show me proof of the 500,000 death certs showing Swine Flu as cause of death. How can you even tell whether it was swine flu or the normal flu which kills many people (particularly old and weak) every year!?

• Advertisement

What do you think that article proves NOW in 2014?

Please do enlighten us.

Here is something from 2013 :)http://blogs.naturalnews.com/20-reasons-why-the-flu-shot-is-more-dangerous-than-the-flu/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Victim apparently died after receiving this years vaccination not apparently the H1N1 vaccine and didn't state if there was any underlying previous condition that could have contributed to the deaths,

** the most significant study of all involving H1N1 was a study conducted in the U.S. and published in 2013. Microbiologist Dr. Hana Golding of the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research at Bethesda in Maryland conducted a study on piglets vaccinated for H1N2, and then later exposed to H1N1. As Lin Edwards of Medical Xpress reports:

They vaccinated “naive” piglets (those that had never been exposed to flu viruses) against the H1N2 influenza strain and later exposed them to the rare H1N1 virus, which is the virus responsible for the 2009 swine flu pandemic.

When the piglets were vaccinated they produced a wide range of antibodies to block the H1N2 virus, but these “cross-reactive” antibodies not only failed to provide protection against the second virus, H1N1, but appeared to actually help the H1N1 virus infiltrate lung tissue and cause more severe symptoms and respiratory system complications such as pneumonia and lung damage. The unvaccinated controls suffered milder pneumonia and fewer other complications. (Source.)

So vaccinating for certain flu strains can actually cause the H1N1 virus to create even more severe complications, such as pneumonia and lung damage, which is exactly what we are seeing here in 2014 with the current H1N1 outbreaks.****

Now from the article posted above and my own personal experiences with H1N1 I was hospitalised in an isolation room , suffer pneumonia and and lung damage now the important part i wasn't vaccinated for any influenza variants

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

In the interests of balance I think I might start providing some links to WaterfordWhisperNews and The Onion.

Gatling wrote: »
    Victim apparently died after receiving this years vaccination not apparently the H1N1 vaccine and didn't state if there was any underlying previous condition that could have contributed to the death

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    In the interests of balance I think I might start providing some links to WaterfordWhisperNews and The Onion.

Well your funny but that link provides facts as you can read below...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Troll alert

Troll alert

Troll alert

• Registered Users Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I have taken many other vaccines and would encourage people and children to do but not swine flu when it was first produced.
    Pharma have made mistakes before and will again.

The reason why everyone is so freaked out about Swine flu and Bird Flu is because of this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

In one year, one particularly deadly strain of flu (a version of H1N1 by the way) infected 500 million people globally and killed between 50 and 100 million of them.
    This was when the population of the world was only 2.5 billion and there was much less international travel.

It is no laughing matter. Most years the flu 'only' kills hundreds of thousands of people, but if we see an outbreak of a particularly virulent strain that also has a high morbidity then we could see hundreds of millions of people die in one year.

Pharmaceutical companies are pretty efficient at producing new flu vaccines each year if there was to be another 1918 style outbreak, then the kind of anti vaccine propaganda that we see regularly on the conspiracy theories forum of this site would make the death toll far higher than it otherwise would be. Unnecessary delays in rolling our vaccines could turn a local ourbreak into a pandemic.

Simple;
    The speed of it's production and release to market. 2009 outbreak, 2009 cure...alarm bells!
    The hype put on swine flu to enable the release.
    I have trust issues and do not like to be the first to try anything!
    I am young and healthy and knew I would survive it and get immunity the natural way.
    With spanish flu, the young and the healthy were just as badly affected as those who are traditionally more vulnerable to illness.

'I'm alright jack' doesn't always apply, sometimes we're all in it together.

Never took the vaccine and have no intention of taking it. Unless its tried and tested im not putting my faith in the people who make these vaccines and just presume its going to work without side effects. Im quiet happy to let other members of the general public be guinea pigs.

Translation 'I'm happy to incubate a deadly disease and potentially pass it on to a newborn baby who is too young to get vaccinated just so I don't have to take a miniscule risk to my own health'

It may come as a total shock, but side effects dont just happen over night. And id have to have to virus to start going around killing people.

Thanks.

The flu is contagious before symptoms start and sometimes you can be infected by the flu and be contagious to others without developing any symptoms yourself.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm

Well your funny but that link provides facts as you can read below...

Here is the conclusion of that research team led by Dr Danuta M. Skowronski.

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/52/6/831.long

It is thus premature to conclude a single mechanism for the increased risk of pH1N1 associated with prior TIV receipt, observed in multiple studies from Canada

I am waiting for a response to my question Madsl - I believe you are throwing around numbers with no backup.

I used to have a lot of respect for the World Health Organisation until I saw how they succumbed to big business and ratified the rushed roll out of the vaccine in 2009. However even the WHO official figures report that just under 18,500 people died in the 2009 flu pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Akrasia wrote: »
    With spanish flu, the young and the healthy were just as badly affected as those who are traditionally more vulnerable to illness.

'I'm alright jack' doesn't always apply, sometimes we're all in it together.

It wasn't Spanish Flu! By any comparison.

Would you jump off a cliff I did it? Are you saying we should all have held hands and risked potential side effects (e.g. narcolepsy) without even questioning it?

I for one am glad I did not get that 1st vaccine. Obviously people that did take it can't be too pleased.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Quit your jibber jabber hype and show me proof of the 500,000 death certs showing Swine Flu as cause of death. How can you even tell whether it was swine flu or the normal flu which kills many people (particularly old and weak) every year!?

Sorry, just saw your post now.

The half million is an estimated level of global deaths (estimated because many deaths occur in the third world where cause of death is not recorded in mainly riral populations) you can basically pick a number in the 151,700 to 575,400 range.

If you want to know how such estimates are derived;

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2012/06/cdc-estimate-global-h1n1-pandemic-deaths-284000

• Advertisement

Birroc wrote: »
    It wasn't Spanish Flu! By any comparison.

Would you jump off a cliff I did it? Are you saying we should all have held hands and risked potential side effects (e.g. narcolepsy) without even questioning it?

I for one am glad I did not get that 1st vaccine. Obviously people that did take it can't be too pleased.

Let's have a sense of perspective. Approx 3 in 100,000 people are not pleased.

Narcolepsy is not life threatening, I've known someone with it, his major impact was getting thrown out of bars because people thought he was drunk (which he generally was as well ;D).

Sorry, just saw your post now.

The half million is an estimated level of global deaths (estimated because many deaths occur in the third world where cause of death is not recorded in mainly riral populations) you can basically pick a number in the 151,700 to 575,400 range.

If you want to know how such estimates are derived;

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2012/06/cdc-estimate-global-h1n1-pandemic-deaths-284000

From your article
    "I don't know if the number is right, but certainly any reasonable estimate would be far above the WHO number of confirmed deaths," he added."

"For comparison, they observe, the WHO estimates that 250,000 to 500,000 people (0.004% to 0.008% of the population) die of seasonal flu annually"

So where did you get the number 500,000 for swine flu? Is that your own hype?

Narcolepsy is not life threatening, I've known someone with it, his major impact was getting thrown out of bars because people thought he was drunk (which he generally was as well ;D).

That is unbelievably irresponsible!
    I'm sure some individuals suffering with Narcolepsy would find that statement highly ignorant on your part.

I also know a person suffering from this illness and he would strongly disagree with you. You or I do not know what these people have to go through day-to-day.

Maybe have a look at this article and see what you think... http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Have-Narcolepsy/2275786

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭opiniated

So we acknowledge that we have about 3.6 cases of narcolepsy per 100.000 vaccinated subjects based on Swedish studies. In one flu vaccine. Big whoop.

Did you miss the part about half a million people dying in 2009?

Eh?

Hmm. If your 16 year old, intelligent daughters future was at risk, I wonder if you would think it wasn't a big deal?
    I'm sure some individuals suffering with Narcolepsy would find that statement highly ignorant on your part.

I also know a person suffering from this illness and he would strongly disagree with you. You or I do not know what these people have to go through day-to-day.

Maybe have a look at this article and see what you think... http://www.experienceproject.com/stories/Have-Narcolepsy/2275786

+1000.

I have a daughter who developed a sleep disorder after the swine flu vaccination.
    She's gone from getting all A and B grades to Cs and Ds.
    She can't stay awake all day, and her concentration is sadly lacking!
    I worry about whether she'll pass her leaving cert.

But it seems that some people think that Pharma can do no wrong, and sacrificial victims are acceptable:mad:

opiniated wrote: »
    Eh?

Hmm. If your 16 year old, intelligent daughters future was at risk, I wonder if you would think it wasn't a big deal?

+1000.

I have a daughter who developed a sleep disorder after the swine flu vaccination.

But it seems that some people think that Pharma can do no wrong, and sacrificial victims are acceptable:mad:

I'm so sorry to hear that!
    From what I have seen (A mate of mine) it really does have a big impact on your life.
    As it was said earlier in the post - This is why they should have spent a little more time researching the vaccine.
    Did Pharma say to us in the very beginning that there may be a risk of developing Narcolepsy OR will Pharma explain to the Educational department that your daughter has this illness because of the vaccine - I don't think so.

So where did you get the number 500,000 for swine flu? Is that your own hype?

Which number would you like me to use?

It is not life-threatening though is it? Yes, you can die from accidental causes like getting caught in fires, but it is not directly life-threatening in the way influenza threatens those with respiratory deseases.
    opiniated wrote: »

Hmmm..have you been data-mining my posts. My daughter had the flu jab this year.

Sacrificial victims? Whilst I am sorry to hear of your daughter's troubles please do realise that some drugs cause reactions - for example a friend of mine is kept alive by taking Abacavir, yet "a hypersensitivity reaction occurs in association with initiation of abacavir therapy as part of combination antiretroviral therapy in ∼3.7% of patients. "

So the risk of deadly reaction (not narcolepsy) is 1000 times greater in him taking this drug and not knowing if he will have a severe reaction. Yet this drug is still on the market. Why? Because it is damned effective at making you not die of AIDS.

If you want a safe alternative where there are no side effects ever, perhaps homeopathy is for you.

And if we are trading concerns for loved ones my wife's respiratory system is badly compromised by asthma, H1N1 would probably kill her. That's why our family is vaccinated, as is (thankfully) her workplace.

B]This is why they should have spent a little more time researching the vaccine[/B].

utter nonsense, read back for the process of development as pointed out to you. This risk has nothing to do with length of development.

I think this thread needs to be locked now. It's pointless.

Which number would you like me to use?

It is not life-threatening though is it? Yes, you can die from accidental causes like getting caught in fires, but it is not directly life-threatening in the way influenza threatens those with respiratory deseases.

Hmmm..have you been data-mining my posts. My daughter had the flu jab this year.

Sacrificial victims? Whilst I am sorry to hear of your daughter's troubles please do realise that some drugs cause reactions - for example a friend of mine is kept alive by taking Abacavir, yet "a hypersensitivity reaction occurs in association with initiation of abacavir therapy as part of combination antiretroviral therapy in ∼3.7% of patients. "

So the risk of deadly reaction (not narcolepsy) is 1000 times greater in him taking this drug and not knowing if he will have a severe reaction. Yet this drug is still on the market. Why? Because it is damned effective at making you not die of AIDS.

If you want a safe alternative where there are no side effects ever, perhaps homeopathy is for you.

And if we are trading concerns for loved ones my wife's respiratory system is badly compromised by asthma, H1N1 would probably kill her. That's why our family is vaccinated, as is (thankfully) her workplace.
    utter nonsense, read back for the process of development as pointed out to you. This risk has nothing to do with length of development.

So you are basically saying if the length of development was increased slightly they might have found out the dangers?

• Advertisement

I think this thread needs to be locked now. It's pointless.

It's a pity!
    I have pointed out numerous times that the point of this thread was to get other people's opinions on the vaccine.

And then we have people who just won't back down and realize that it is about OPINION'S.

Advertisement