Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible HIN1 (Swine Flu) is back in Ireland?

Options
12345679»

Comments

"And especially with ' the Risk of narcolepsy 13 times higher after the vaccine' "

Journalists love writing this kind of alarmist carp.

The risk of something goes from 1 in 100 million to 1 in 10 million and the headline is '10 times higher risk!!'

Its still a risk of 1 in 10 million. Buy a lottery ticket when you get your vaccine, You're more likely to win the jackpot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Shane. Shane..oh dear. You have probably twigged by now that Dihydrogen Monoxide is in fact water.

Perhaps you might treat that as an object lesson in not believing everything you read on the internet without verifying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

H2O would be unlikely to cause cancer.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    H2O would be unlikely to cause cancer.

Well a number of cancer diagnoses have been found linked to Hydrogen Hydroxide, often patients have high levels in the bladder, removal is indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

HOH - the direct cause of hundreds of thousands of deaths over the last decade.
    But you might want to take care that a certain smugness of certainty doesn't come back to disprove everything you hold dear.

This seems to have become quite an emotive thread full of animosity in what should be a fairly standard scientifically based discussion.
    This is probably due to personal circumstances and experiences.
    When someone close to you is immunity compromised you can end up fighting the world, because the world is relatively well and carefree.

It is general consensus we are in line for a big flu outbreak but much like the weather you can predict all you like until the big storm strikes, everyone dismisses it as not likely to affect them,
    Contrary to the norm Spanish flu affected the young and healthy disproportionally and the concern is same could happen again. Ironically death was due to a strong immune response in a healthy individual, older weaker people stood a better chance
    In other outbreaks older people had better resistance due to exposure to previous milder flus. So outcome isn't always as expected.

I had a fair bit knowledge of the 2009 vaccine because I needed to at the time.
    Most of the problems with flu vaccines are probably down to method of manufacture rather than the vaccine itself. The majority were produced in eggs so people with egg allergies should avoid these. There were no major issues with the alternative versions that I'm aware of.
    Guillain Barre and narcolepsy are real and of some concern, but statistically fairly insignificant to the number that would die if infected with flu.

Now here's the scientific part - to quote Dr Cox - "Statistics mean nothing to the individual"

If you life is destroyed by a bad reaction it is just as real as if you had it destroyed by the flu itself.
    And because vaccines rely on large numbers, a tiny percentage but significant number can be affected.
    I've seen a child destroyed by vaccine, I've seen children badly damaged by negligence at birth. All the stats in the world wont mitigate against the person in front of you.
    I don't believe science knows enough about a lot of things that end up in general medicine, particularly in reaction to fast changing public health scenarios, and you always have to consider people are humans too, and all the faults that's goes with that. I've seen enough of them.
    In 20 years time, todays cancer treatment will probably be considered almost barbaric.

At the end of the day, if it was my child, given the choice between the chance of death from the disease or risk reaction to a vaccine, all things considered and risks weighed, it's hard, it feels like the bet on a sure thing, but.... Would I?
    Yes, I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Seriously? Are we supposed to take anything on this site seriously?
    Hardly impartial now, is it.

Natural news is a particularly nasty website. They are campaigning against breast screening because of a bullsh1t belief that screening for breast cancer causes cancer.

This kind of propaganda kills women.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

MadsL wrote: »
    Shane. Shane..oh dear. You have probably twigged by now that Dihydrogen Monoxide is in fact water.

Perhaps you might treat that as an object lesson in not believing everything you read on the internet without verifying it.

I was reading your exchange and having a genuine WTF!! moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Akrasia wrote: »
    Natural news is a particularly nasty website. They are campaigning against breast screening because of a bullsh1t belief that screening for breast cancer causes cancer.

NaturalNews.com is a complete lunatic anti-science, conspiracy site ran by nutter, Mike Adams.

Seriously, if a person links anything from that site it has to be instantly dismissed, the misinformation and agenda-driven articles twisting studies and generally making things up should be a warning light to the weakness of a person's argument if they're willing to wheel out anything from that site to back them up.

Where do you start, it's anti-vaccine, AIDs denialist, germ theory denialist, Colorado shootings / Boston bombings / Sandyhook massacre were false flags done by the government, breast cancer screening causes cancer (which Big Pharma then profits from), Physics is a conspiracy theory, Bill Gates is a eugenicist, chemtrails, homeopathy cured the 1918 influenza outbreak, anti male contraception because it's cause mass sterilisation............basically, it's anti-everything that contains rationality and logic.

Then it has the gall to advertise herbs, oils, and spiritual woo that claim to definitely cure cancer or batshìt crazy stuff like the Crystal Matrix Transmitter which you can download for only $50!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I wonder how many people that did not take the vaccine in 2009 are regretting their decision now after reading this thread. My guess is zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You should have strung him out for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Birroc wrote: »
    I wonder how many people that did not take the vaccine in 2009 are regretting their decision now after reading this thread. My guess is zero.

Emm... I'm guessing a lot of people who might regret not taking a flu vaccine are probably dead.

The ones that are alive to not regret taking one, dodged the bullet, so to speak.

I do regret not getting the vaccine. It was unavailable in the country I was in at the time, I got the flu, and was very sick for a couple of weeks. I was in an 'at risk group', so if the vaccine had been available to me, I would have gotten it for sure. I actually contemplated traveling to another country to get it, but the logistics didn't work out in time.

You should have strung him out for longer.

In fairness he googled it and found all the dangers on his lonesome... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In fairness he googled it and found all the dangers on his lonesome... :D

Brilliantly played though

The CDC just issued an urgent warning of threat from Swine flu. They are saying this years flu season is particularly deadly.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2014/02/20/urgent-cdc-warning-of-threat-from-h1n1-swine-flu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Jake1 wrote: »
    The CD just issued an urgent warning of threat from Swine flu. [/url]

And what is the risk in blu-ray?

Gatling wrote: »
    Brilliantly played though

Oh dear, he was so embarrassed he closed his account....

Come back Shane...we love you really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Its worse again since xp is being unsupported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

AH3 and AH1

apparently its After Hours themed viruses that are predominant in Ireland at the mo.

Maybe evolved from some particularly nasty thread.:pac:

Ah the HSPC, grand bunch of lads. I often wonder how many calls they get for financial services though...

Advertisement