Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Annes Park Planning Application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No but a person with a Google camera can walk the pathways

That makes sense. I didn't know that they did this. It certainly would be interesting seeing a street view going through parks

EDIT I had a look. Pretty cool
    This Is where we'd come from the fields to the park

Sleeper12 wrote:
    I'm sorry but you are getting confused. This was my playground growing up. St Pauls my school for 2 years. It's also where you will find my wife everyday walking the dogs. The fence went up about a year ago.

Sorry I was wrong. I just asked my wife as she told me about "the new fence" less than a year ago. The new fence she was talking about was a new fence erected inside the grounds dividing the field itself.

Sorry for confusing things

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

jay0109 wrote: »
    The classic NIMBY right there
    Classic keyboard warrior there.

The parklands and green areas are the lungs of the city and an integral part of the Dublin Bay Biosphere.

Crying Nimbyism from your computer at home at the people that care about the city, the people that got up off their arses, paid to lodge complaints, protested and won a small battle against a cynical developer that was using fast tracking and a housing crises to make a quick few billion is lazy, weak and a petty way of trying to degenerate local activism.

Up you get off the couch, brush the crumbs off your belly and organise a protest march in favour of the development if you care that much.

I know you won't. ;)

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    There has always been a fence to some extent. When I was in Paul's there was a wire fence with concrete pillars about 5 or 6 feet high. All that was left in 81 was the pillars. when we did cross country runs for PE we ran out of the gym through the field and into the park. There have been several fences over the years.

There is a new fence only up a year or so. It was put up by the developers. 18 months ago you could get from the park to the field.

I was brought up on All Saints Road, opposite the park, 40 years ago the fence was about 3 ft high, and was easily just stepped over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

To Rambo:

Sticks and stones and all that :rolleyes:

I don't live in that side of the city so I don't care either way. But don't let me hear the locals in teh yars to come bemoaning the fact their offspring have to move to Portlaoise to buy a house.
    Or the local politicians (especially the left wing hypocrites) on the media crying about the lack of housing.

As for getting off my a55...I'm just back from coaching an underage team for the past couple of hours in my local park. A good few years ago the religious order bordering the park sold off their lands to build apartments. I'm sure the NIMBYs were out in force then as well but the building went ahead.
    And you know what, there' still a big park and the apartments take nothing away from it. The sky didn't fall in and hundreds of people got a home close to town thus saving urban sprawl, benefitting public transport etc

But hey, keep going with the generalisations

• Advertisement

I was brought up on All Saints Road, opposite the park, 40 years ago the fence was about 3 ft high, and was easily just stepped over.

40 years ago I was 10. It looked bigger than 3 foot. :)

But hey, keep going with the generalisations

Ah, go on, if you didn't care why are you trolling? Just looked at your post history, de Nigerians, de travelers, de government, de Brazilians... etc etc. Keyboard wailing is what you do.

You're lucky you still have a local park because of people that care about them.

I'm being stalked by Rambo.
    Whatever.

Keep objecting to housing, keep the crisis going. And if challenged, get personal.

No
    Keep objecting to housing, keep the crisis going. And if challenged, get personal.

Lots of development going on in the area. We only objected to the one that needed to be stopped. We were vindicated, we were right. I challenged you on your name calling and trolling on a subject you admit you "don't care about either way" and one you obviously don't know much about.

Nobody is stalking you, you simply got called out, nothing personal, move on, build a bridge, get over it. ;)

John_Rambo wrote:
    Lots of development going on in the area. We only objected to the one that needed to be stopped. We were vindicated, we were right. I challenged you on your name calling and trolling on a subject you admit you "don't care about either way" and one you obviously don't know much about.

That's an understatement. We're tripping over crains in Raheny & Clontarf at the moment.

It's important to point out that DCC who were side stepped in this said that it goes against the development plans for Dublin & every single member of DCC were against development. This in itself is a unique situation.

It just goes to show how the fast tracking of the planning system is flawed. I think Dublin will be paying for the mistakes of the fast track system in the decades come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Traffic at the junction of sybill hill and howth road was absolutely ridiculous this morning. Can only imagine what it would be like with 500 apartments dumped right next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

That's an understatement. We're tripping over crains in Raheny & Clontarf at the moment.

It's important to point out that DCC who were side stepped in this said that it goes against the development plans for Dublin & every single member of DCC were against development. This in itself is a unique situation.

It just goes to show how the fast tracking of the planning system is flawed. I think Dublin will be paying for the mistakes of the fast track system in the decades come.
    Its the next "scandal"

btw can we all stop pretending it was about the Geese?

jon1981 wrote: »

Too soon yet I'd say :D

jon1981 wrote:

It's not. DCC who objected to it from the get go says that it goes against the City Development Plan. They would have refused it point blank if the government didn't come up with the fast track planning or fast track bad planning as it appears to be

It's not. DCC who objected to it from the get go says that it goes against the City Development Plan. They would have refused it point blank if the government didn't come up with the fast track planning or fast track bad planning as it appears to be

I know it's not, it's not for me. I'm tired of hearing my neighbours bleat on about the fecking Geese!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Traffic at the junction of sybill hill and howth road was absolutely ridiculous this morning. Can only imagine what it would be like with 500 apartments dumped right next to it.
    Was grand on the bike though

I cycle 99% of the time (I own 3 bicycles) but this morning I couldn't. Please don't start with that annoying cycling argument.

There are times when cars are a necessity such as ferrying a sick baby to the doctor, as was the case this morning.

I cycle 99% of the time (I own 3 bicycles) but this morning I couldn't. Please don't start with that annoying cycling argument.

There are times when cars are a necessity such as ferrying a sick baby to the doctor, as was the case this morning.
    Only messing. It was pretty bad traffic this morning to be fair, possibly the weather. Unusual for a Friday.

I grew up in the area and have recently bought a house near St Annes, and use the park frequently (although never use the piece of land in question as it is fenced off from the general public and has been for quite some time now). I'm just wondering what do people expect to happen with this land now though? The developer is unlikely to become a philanthropist and donate the land to the public. It is far more likely that a new plan will be put together to build housing on this land.

Personally, I am resigned to the fact that this land will eventually be built on, and this should not be delayed given the lack of housing supply in Dublin. I would like to see this development be built with an emphasis on apartments, and minimal car parking facilities as they just aren't needed in an area that has regular bus and DART facilities a short walk away. Several GoCars, plenty of bike parking and BleeperBikes would suffice.

And I could not care less about the geese, as there are plenty of other green spaces and football pitches in Dublin 3 and Dublin 5 that they will migrate to instead.

I'm just wondering what do people expect to happen with this land now though? The developer is unlikely to become a philanthropist and donate the land to the public. It is far more likely that a new plan will be put together to build housing on this land..

This is my gripe, no effort was made to develop the land by adding amenities to the area. A pool was removed and replaced with apartments. A community gym/pool/pitches/tennis/kids camps would be great for the location. If you've ever used the DLR leisure facilities on the southside you'd see what I mean.

http://dlrleisure.ie/meadowbrook/

• Advertisement

I'm just wondering what do people expect to happen with this land now though? The developer is unlikely to become a philanthropist and donate the land to the public. It is far more likely that a new plan will be put together to build housing on this land..

This is my gripe, no effort was made to develop the land by adding amenities to the area. A pool was removed and replaced with apartments. A community gym/pool/pitches/tennis/kids camps would be great for the location. If you've ever used the DLR leisure facilities on the southside you'd see what I mean.

http://dlrleisure.ie/meadowbrook/
    Completely agree. Do you think the public would accept a redesigned proposal that includes hundreds of apartments, some retail area for a café and small supermarket (nearest are Super Valu Killester and Raheny, Nolans Clontarf or Tesco/Lidl in Artane), childcare, and a facility similar to DLR?

In my opinion, such a development would be a welcome addition to the area, and far more beneficial than a fenced off field of overgrown grass that will continue to lie idle until eventually planning permission for a residential development is granted.

Completely agree. Do you think the public would accept a redesigned proposal that includes hundreds of apartments, some retail area for a café and small supermarket (nearest are Super Valu Killester and Raheny, Nolans Clontarf or Tesco/Lidl in Artane), childcare, and a facility similar to DLR?

In my opinion, such a development would be a welcome addition to the area, and far more beneficial than a fenced off field of overgrown grass that will continue to lie idle until eventually planning permission for a residential development is granted.

I think so because it stinks less of "greedy developer" and smells more of "developer who cares about the community" ... though I'm sure the objections would still be high. I certainly would be more open to it.

Judging by this new development about 50m away, i cant see many of these houses helping the housing crisis unless u have a spare 700k lying around.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/green-belt-living-by-st-anne-s-park-1.3618093?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

kona wrote: »
    Judging by this new development about 50m away, i cant see many of these houses helping the housing crisis unless u have a spare 700k lying around.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/green-belt-living-by-st-anne-s-park-1.3618093?mode=amp

Every new house, regardless of price, helps to free up houses further down the property ladder. Empty nesters will move from 3/4 bedroom homes to 1/2 bed apartments.

Every new house, regardless of price, helps to free up houses further down the property ladder. Empty nesters will move from 3/4 bedroom homes to 1/2 bed apartments.

Or some of the the 10s of thousands of adults living with parents will move in but I do get your point. More buildings + A good thing

Where are the prices listed for those properties? I can't see them on the link or i can't access it.

Sure they will :rolleyes:

Half the people on the road i grew up on are over 60 and living in 5 bed houses of which 3 or 4 of the bedrooms are empty.

Where are the prices listed for those properties? I can't see them on the link or i can't access it.

It starts at 380k for a 1bed and ends at around 700k for a 3 bed house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

kona wrote: »
    Sure they will :rolleyes:

Half the people on the road i grew up on are over 60 and living in 5 bed houses of which 3 or 4 of the bedrooms are empty.

Maybe we need some of those housing activists to protest outside aul wans houses. That'll soon shift them. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

New development on St Brigids road in Killester has 3 bed terrace houses priced at 550k. Currently at planning stage. 1 bed Apartments @ 250k up to 450k for a 3 bed Apartment. Its on the grounds of the Holy Faith Convent Killester.

Advertisement