Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[what do you think ?]muzzle for any dog - is it worth getting them used to wear one

• 18-02-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭

If this is too controversial topic, please close as appropriate.

The thread titled 'Muzzle for Rottweiler' made me think and I just want to get some opinions without hijacking the thread.

I've a great Weimaraner, 9 months old and from the start, I try to get him used to wear a muzzle.
    He's not on the RB list so it is not mandatory.

I didn't do it early on my previous dog (a basset) but I found out later on that it may have been a good idea when later on we had to go to the vet/care for some small wounds.
    Adding the stress of the muzzle to the one of being touched when in pain and so on.
    At least with this one, he would not have that.

Now, it's true that when walking him with the muzzle (either on his snout or dangling from the collar), you get different looks from bystander.
    I don't care at all but what do you think ?

Is it worth doing it ?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Im just wondering why would you consider getting your dog used to a muzzle if he is not on the RB list, and if he is not aggressive to other dogs when out walking? Hopefully he will not need to go to the vet more often than for his booster shots. I have never muzzled any of my dogs - only because it never entered my head to do it. I live in a quiet rural area. My elderly dog hates the vet so much (hes had a tough time down through the years at vets) that the vet automatically muzzles him with a cloth muzzle when he goes for check-ups or when he's not well. I dont believe it stresses him any more than the dreaded vet (and that bum-thermometer). I do think non-dog-people look askance at a muzzled dog. But I suppose if you have a well-fitted/suitable muzzle, and he is used to it from an early age, its not an issue. Or am I missing something here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

You could train your dog to use one in case of emergency, like if he was injured or in pain. My dog, who is RB, is happy to wear one if I feel he needs it on and it doesn't phase him too unduly. But people do look at your dog differently, and worse, other dogs do, which in my view completely undermines the entire exercise.

Advertisement