Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 Problem

Options
  • 18-02-2014 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a problem when playing my PS3.

Basically, when I am playing an online game, a white circle icon comes up in middle of the screen with what looks like a plug or charger icon, and I am unable to do anything, as in no buttons work until it goes away, then comes back again, and again, really annoying.

I thought it was something to do with a bad charging cable or a problem with the controller, so I got a brand new charging cable and controller and the same thing is happening.

Anyone have suggestions or simply know how to fix? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

Its alright, got it sorted by restoring PS3 to factory settings, Thanks for all your help :D

Actually that didn't work, can anyone help please :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Can you post a picture as it could be your Internet connection. As when its lost you can not move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

A picture might help??

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

Are you playing uncharted 3?

• Advertisement

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    Can you post a picture as it could be your Internet connection. As when its lost you can not move.

Thanks, thats more than likely the problem.

I recently changed from Eircom to Vodafone Broadband.

I ran an internet connection test and the Download speed says 1.7 Megabytes per second, and I guess that must be fluctuating.

Is 1.7 Mb /sec enough for online play?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Is 1.7 Mb /sec enough for online play?

its a bit slow, might be a bit of lag, but whats your upload speed and ping ?

johndoe99 wrote: »
    its a bit slow, might be a bit of lag, but whats your upload speed and ping ?

Upload speed is 203 Kilobytes per second

Where do I find Ping and what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

I say its the internet connection as it shows as a triangle in some games or a unplugged plug sometimes.
    Thinking of changing to Vodafone but not looking good for their internet connection.

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    I say its the internet connection as it shows as a triangle in some games or a unplugged plug sometimes.
    Thinking of changing to Vodafone but not looking good for their internet connection.

Is there any way I can speed up the internet connection other than by upgrading to a more expensive broadband package?

Would a wireless repeater or something like that work?

• Advertisement

203 kb/sec is extremely poor for online gaming, speedtest.net will give you download/upload and ping

Ping is how fast you can send and receive data, a ping is sent to and back that time is measured in milliseconds

203 kb/sec is extremely poor for online gaming, speedtest.net will give you download/upload and ping

Ping is how fast you can send and receive data, a ping is sent to and back that time is measured in milliseconds

Thanks, Ping says 84ms, download speed 1.7mb and upload speed is 0.17 mbps

Thanks, Ping says 84ms, download speed 1.7mb and upload speed is 0.17 mbps

your upload speed is not good enough for online gaming a ping that high will give you terrible lag as well, if you were playing lets say black ops other players with a much lower ping and higher upload speed would have a huge advantage over you.

your upload speed is not good enough for online gaming a ping that high will give you terrible lag as well, if you were playing lets say black ops other players with a much lower ping and higher upload speed would have a huge advantage over you.

What upload speed and ping is good enough then?

about 7 years back when i first signed up to UPC the speed i had then was 3mb download 1mb upload and my ping if memory serves was about 40, i was able to play online no problem on that speed. I've never been below that so couldn't say what the least would be.

Vodafone have a line speed test:

http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/

have a go and see what speed your line is capable of handling

also what speed were you told you would have?

about 7 years back when i first signed up to UPC the speed i had then was 3mb download 1mb upload and my ping if memory serves was about 40, i was able to play online no problem on that speed. I've never been below that so couldn't say what the least would be.

Vodafone have a line speed test:

http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/

have a go and see what speed your line is capable of handling

also what speed were you told you would have?

It says my line can receive speed up to 24mb.

Not told any speed

It says my line can receive speed up to 24mb.

Not told any speed

you should give Vodafone a ring tomorrow, they might run a few tests on your line, to see if there's any interruptions on your line.

Vodafone must be capable of giving you better speeds than what your getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

My line is eligible for upgrade to efiber, my max possible speed with fibre 15meg my current speed 10meg. they say my line is old and not capable of high speed net, joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

What upload speed and ping is good enough then?

For ping I think less that 40 is good for gaming. I must say though that BB package you're on is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

For gaming you ideally want at least 3mb download with ping as low as possible. Anything lower than this and you will suffer the symptoms you described. Ring your ISP and ask them to test the line. My neighbour has Vodafone broadband and to be honest its shockingly bad. So bad I dont bother using his wifi when I`m there.
    Also try having your PS wired if your using a wireless connection.
    Best of luck ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement