Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harness training a kitten, any advice?

• 18-02-2014 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of harness training our foster kitten. She's determined to get out to see where our other cats are going to. I'd rather that she stays as an indoor only cat but I'd like to be able to let her have a look around our gardens without worrying that she'll do a runner, she's got no sense.

I'd love to hear from anyone whose harness trained their cat/kitten.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I bring Dude out on the harness, he's usually good to get it on because he knows it means we're going for a walk. Initially I would put the harness on him and then feed him and take it off again. I kept doing this for about a week then left it on him after he fed. Initially he would just flop down and try get it off but if he left it alone he would get a treat. After another few days of that he would get up and walk around with it on so I clipped the lead to it and let him walk around the house with it trailing. Then progressed to bringing him out. If he lunges we stop walking and now generally he will stay by my side unless I drop the lead to let him have a good run chasing sticks or Cream! You can get specific cat ones that tie around the neck and belly but I personally don't like them because if they do lunge or run off and get caught in something there's a risk of choking so I use a chihuahua harness on him that fits under his chest and around his shoulders. It used to impede him walking a bit but he's used to it now. He will occasionally slip his legs out but it catches around his belly so he doesn't get free. Good luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Cinnamon is harness trained! Well, kind of. She won't walk on a lead like a dog or anything, but she happily lets us put the harness on her and loves to go out for a sniff around.
    We used to pop it on her and take her to a local park/pond when we lived in the city but now we have one of those metal cork-screw-like contraptions with a long line we attach he to so she can investigate the yard.

We started her on it when she was fairly young, we would put in on her regularly and let her just get used to the feel of it on her, and to get her used to us putting in on/off then after that just lots of standing there while she sniffed everything/ate grass :pac:

Advertisement