Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL- Manchester City v FC Barcelona - 19:45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Don't think City are out of it yet. Should be a good return leg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Barca are way overrated - can't see them getting much further than this round if they go through.

How many of them half-hearted dips from outside the box when someone's made a burst forward only to realise he's no support?

And Barcelona couldn't even manage that many in the 1st half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Have you not cum yet?

Can't stop laughing at that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Mascherano was immense. Valdes was solid when called upon. Alves was markedly better in the match compared to previous games. Messi took his time to get into the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Barca and psg already through and the second legs yet to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Terrible and boring match,

if this is the beautiful game of football from the school of barcelona, I look forward to seeing Bayern give them another hammering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Paully D wrote: »
    Can't stop laughing at that. :pac:

Same here... cracked up laughing. :D Great reply!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And Barcelona couldn't even manage that many in the 1st half.

They didn't have to, they're away from home in the first leg of a Champions League knock-out tie. The first half was exactly what they would have hoped for. City showed no ambition short of containing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Wave after blaugrana wave have smashed against the sky blue dam, finally it has cracked to the overwhelming force of beautiful nature.

Man you really should write this stuff for a living, more entertaining then the game, always gives me a chuckle :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

klose wrote: »
    Barca and psg already through and the second legs yet to go.

Cheers for ruining the highlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's like AIG is a Real Madrid employee trying to make as many people as possible hate Barcelona with his tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Barr wrote: »
    Barca are way overrated - can't see them getting much further than this round.

They're not overrated and never were. They're just not the team they were. Everyone seems to accept this. I was surprised to see them whipping in corners and taking long goal kicks. 18 months ago they would have never risked losing possession like that. They're still pretty classy when they turn it on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Putting andersonisgod on ignore is pointless. Almost every post the man makes is quoted by someone and I end of reading his sh*te :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Job half done for city went out looking for a nil nil and got one of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Wow, the amount of anti Barca sentiment in this thread is a suprise to me. it was a job well done by them away from home imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Barr wrote: »
    Barca are way overrated - can't see them getting much further than this round.

Barca are like a mythical warrior bringing their freedom to the scorched world of football. They have liberated the minds of millions as the peasants watch and gaze at the master performance of the Catalan men. Heros walking amongst us. /AIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

300 million and they still can't buy the champions league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Barca were poor enough I thought. Did not look like a second goal was on the cards for the longest time. City would have been in with a shout going to the nou camp only a goal down. Harsh on them.

Pelligrini gets what he deserves for fielding di michelis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's like AIG is a Real Madrid employee trying to make as many people as possible hate Barcelona with his tripe.

What's this AIG people keep saying? What am I missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

monkey9 wrote: »

CorkMan in disguise.

Kompany talking nonsense tbh

They didn't have to, they're away from home in the first leg of a Champions League knock-out tie. The first half was exactly what they would have hoped for. City showed no ambition short of containing them.

Yeah, not sure what some people were expecting.

City are exceptional at home and Barca made it look easy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Red Crow wrote: »
    Barca are like a mythical warrior bringing their freedom to the scorched world of football. They have liberated the minds of millions as the peasants watch and gaze at the master performance of the Catalan men. Heros walking amongst us. /AIG

You didn't mention La Masia, sacrilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I read that Helder Postiga has scored more goals against Barca this season than Real, Athletico and City combined :p

Martinez is painful to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I don't get why everyone is so surprised by Barcelona. They've been playing this boring suffocation style since 2009. It's effective, no doubt, but I've never enjoyed watching them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

At the end of the day, Barcelona have gone to the Etihad, they've not conceded a goal and they are taking two away goals back to the Camp Nou. They dominated the game, had far more possession and limited City to very few chances, indeed I'd say there was no outstanding chance for City in the entire match, how many other teams have done that?

At the same time, Barcelona have refuted some claims. This is still aside who can handle big European matches against physical sides, it was a lesson in game management from the Catalan club. This is still a side with hunger, with the fitness to compete at highest level. This remains a side who can dominate the biggest matches.

Busquets, absolutely terrific in front of the back four. Alba and Alves provided width and solidity, Mascherano and Pique rocks at the back and Valdes fantastic in his shot stopping and handling. Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas and Messi all linked well and that shows in the possession stats. Neymar also looked bright when he came on.

It's a huge victory for this group of Barcelona players, it's proven a point to themselves, if there ever was any doubt, and to the world.

I get the feeling that a lot of people on here only see Barca play when they're live on terrestrial television. Tune in to Sky every weekend and you'll see that they're a team in transition. Saying they under performed tonight is misinformed. It's a great result. They beat arguably the best team in England 0-2. Give credit where it's due and stop being so bitter.

• Advertisement

I like Kompany but I think a portion of blame can be attributed to him for the goal. If he was more aware of where the line was he could have stepped up or not ran so far back in order to avoid playing Messi onside. Maybe a bit harsh, but I feel he should be more aware in that situation.

Anyone agree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Chagan wrote: »
    I don't get why everyone is so surprised by Barcelona. They've been playing this boring suffocation style since 2009. It's effective, no doubt, but I've never enjoyed watching them.

Been saying it for seasons now, they are the most boring team to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Advantage Barca. Demichelis shouldn't have dived in like that. Legit goal disallowed probably cancels penalty. Hard decisions to get right anyway.

Game not over. Man city can go for broke at nou camp! Should perhaps lead to a better spectacle.

Have to say I thought both teams defended a lot better than their repertoire would suggest. Barca were really good at snuffing counter attacks. City excellent, up to a point before Demichelis,, at stifling Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

your man's chair is awful creeky

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

300 million and they still can't buy the champions league.

I'll look forward to seeing Utd playing thursday night football next year

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

How do you watch the match while furiously masturbating at the same time?

Am I the only one that scans these threads looking for posts by a certain pro-barca user and then looks for the fcuking quality responses like the above ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I think a lot of people are confusing 'boring' with 'predictable'.

Do Barcelona play a predictable style in every single game ? Definitely.
    Is it boring when they score great goals and win a lot ? Not even close.

Can't agree that's boring. It's more exciting than Utd and Chelsea this season to name two English teams.

The amount of work the Barca players put in is phenomenonal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I get the feeling that a lot of people on here only see Barca play when they're live on terrestrial television. Tune in to Sky every weekend and you'll see that they're a team in transition. Saying they under performed tonight is misinformed. It's a great result. They beat arguably the best team in England 0-2. Give credit where it's due and stop being so bitter.

City underperformed. Barca weren't anything special, it was a fairly standard performance from them this season. A lot of City players were at nothing, far too reliant on Toure to create things for them and it was an all round nervy performance from the vast majority of City players. That Barca team are definitely beatable, City were poor, but a 2-0 win at the Etihad can't really be argued with... a good nights work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Clear penalty all day long..

BgyYc90CUAAcnFu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

That was as easy as you like for Barca never got out of 3rd gear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Headshot wrote: »

I guess it takes all sorts. I really enjoy watching Barca.

Shame Aguero wasn't out there. I don't think it's over anyway. Hopefully get a good second leg out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I'll look forward to seeing Utd playing thursday night football next year
    If they even qualify for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see why people are blaming Barcelona for the game being dull. Manchester City are at home, the onus is on them to take the game to Barcelona but they just didn't have the ambition to do so. Barcelona were there to be got at, they're not the team they were, but City looked as if they were playing for a 0-0 and in doing so played right into their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are confusing 'boring' with 'predictable'.

Do Barcelona play a predictable style in every single game ? Definitely.
    Is it boring when they score great goals and win a lot ? Not even close.

Im not confusing anything

simpsons-soccer-gif-o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

The match thread matches the game I see.

City are rattled since the Chelsea game, no doubt about it. Gone from unstoppable to stuttering.

Don't get the Demichelis hate. Thought he was pretty good actually - don't forget the level they're playing at - and the red card wasn't even his fault really.

Fabregas not happy with Jose :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Apparently Barca are going to appeal the Demichelis red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Bit surprised with the comments that both teams played poorly. It was a game of chess. Both players did their roles exceptionally well. One mistake swung the tie.

Credit to both teams for trying and making it appear boring.

Headshot wrote: »

I don't think they're boring at all, but I know exactly what you're talking about. When they were at their peak I was tuning in to see them move the ball around. I wasn't expecting a competition. Real Madrid are a bit more interesting to look at in that they're liable to concede 2 goals in the first 10 minutes. You could even say the same about Man U over the years. Awfully predictable at times but endless fun because they always make it hard on themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Ardent

Red Crow wrote: »
    Martinez is painful to listen to

Could listen to him all day, think he's great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement