Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving Test Situation

• 18-02-2014 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,
    I'm hoping to sit my test in the next few weeks and Im wondering about how to approach a few specific situations in a test environment.
    The first one is speed bumps, more specifically the ones which stretch the whole length of the road with just a small gap at the kerbs. In my day to day to riding I would go close to the kerb to avoid the speed bump, however I'm not sure if this is the correct way in the test situation? Then there is the other kind of bumps, the stand alone bumps. I'm talking about the ones where there is three individual squares across the road, I believe these are the most common around the finglas area(where I'll be taking my test). Which way should you approach these in the test? Go with the space closest to the kerb? (obviously assuming theres no car parked on the kerb) or go with the space in the middle?
    I'm also not too sure what to do with the gears while stopped at the lights. For my car test I was thought to keep it in gear if you are 1st/2nd in the que or put it in neutral anywhere after that. Does the same apply for bikes?
    Sorry for the long winded post, just want to get the most accurate answers possible.
    Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Is there anywhere I can rent a bike just for the test as I have a varadero 125 and wont be able to take my test on this, cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi guys,
    I'm hoping to sit my test in the next few weeks and Im wondering about how to approach a few specific situations in a test environment.
    The first one is speed bumps, more specifically the ones which stretch the whole length of the road with just a small gap at the kerbs. In my day to day to riding I would go close to the kerb to avoid the speed bump, however I'm not sure if this is the correct way in the test situation? Then there is the other kind of bumps, the stand alone bumps. I'm talking about the ones where there is three individual squares across the road, I believe these are the most common around the finglas area(where I'll be taking my test). Which way should you approach these in the test? Go with the space closest to the kerb? (obviously assuming theres no car parked on the kerb) or go with the space in the middle?
    I'm also not too sure what to do with the gears while stopped at the lights. For my car test I was thought to keep it in gear if you are 1st/2nd in the que or put it in neutral anywhere after that. Does the same apply for bikes?
    Sorry for the long winded post, just want to get the most accurate answers possible.
    Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Is there anywhere I can rent a bike just for the test as I have a varadero 125 and wont be able to take my test on this, cheers!

Get some lessons and rent the bike off the school for the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Real life I try avoid going over the bumps. During the test I went directly over them. Obviously brake beforehand to let the examiner know that you have recognised the hazard. That is what I was told to do and didn't have any marks for doing so.

As for the gears you can do what you like afaik. Some instructors say leave it in gear permanently, others tell you not to bother. It is like the left foot down, you do not lose marks for using the right foot. Yes the left is the pc way of doing it but everyone is different. Do what you are most comfortable with. Once you are making progress and not holding things up. All you need to do is have a break covered at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

On the wide ramps just ride over them and on the spaced one, stay on your side of the white line. coming to lights i put the bike into neutral but years ago an instructor was watching me and told to me to stop doing it and to keep it in first and that if i was going to do that i should practice the henderson shuffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

left foot down so that you have your right foot covering/on the brake. this is so when its uphill from the junction you dont have to use the throttle hand for holding the brakes. in gear with clutch in at the lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Rolliepoley,
    The correct name of the shuffle is : the hendon shuffle.
    Nowadays, for the test, it is more correct to have the bike in 1st gear before you put your left foot down while pressing the rear brake with your right foot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement