Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Co. Lough - where to live?

Options
  • 18-02-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

As the title states moving to the area and looking to buy a house but not sure where is best. Like the look of Carlingford, Ravensdale and around that area but have also seen a few houses in Ardee.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Depends where you are working really. Carlingford would be my first choice, small village, nice restaurants/pubs lovely scenery but about 20 mins drive from Dundalk on bad road.
    Ravensdale is about 10mins from town, nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 corky2014

Currently renting in Newry, working in Dundalk. Would consider a commute for the right kind of house/location. Not a lot for sale in Carlingford at the moment.

Any knowledge of Ardee or Castlebellingham?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Getting the spelling of the name of the County right would be a good start,UP LOUGH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

corky2014 wrote: »
    Any knowledge of Ardee or Castlebellingham?

What would you like to know? :)

Wow typing error and I get a response but asking about knowledge of an area and nothing! Says a lot really.

peejay1986 thank you for your response. Really wanted to know if it is a nice place to live. Any areas I should avoid? We have children so what are the schools like?

Did a drive around Ardee and seems OK but when mentioned to a colleague he said avoid like the plague.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

What about south of the county? If you are working in Dundalk, you could try Dunleer? Only 20 mins away from Dundalk, ideally located close to the M1, it's a nice village, plenty of houses & young families, lots of community spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Blackrock is nice with decent facilities for families. Knockbridge also very pretty although quite quiet. Both close to town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

What age are the kids, you could find yourself spending a lot of time transporting them to events, friends etc.
    Blackrock has a good bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

peejay1986 thank you for your response. Really wanted to know if it is a nice place to live. Any areas I should avoid? We have children so what are the schools like?

I've lived in Ardee all my life (apart from 6 years college in Chester, UK). Ardee has it's flaws, like most towns, but overall it's a nice place too live. When I say flaws, I mean the normal stuff - can be boring sometimes, shops closing down, traffic. Otherwise though it's nice.

School-wise you're covered well. Got a boys and girls school, then a mixed Educate Together school as well. There's already the Community School for secondary level.

I don't like to tell people to 'avoid' specific areas. There's nowhere in Ardee that you should feel unsafe in. However, I personally wouldn't be a fan of Ferdia Park. I think a couple of people who live there have given me a blanket view of the entire estate, which is a shame. Some really nice new estates around the town and of course the old favourites; De la Salle Crescent, Cherrybrook and Sleibh Breagh.

Did a drive around Ardee and seems OK but when mentioned to a colleague he said avoid like the plague.

A lot of people have a bad opinion of Ardee, but if you ask people from Ardee the same question they'll give you a similar answer about another town. Louth seems to be that way, there's strange 'rivalries' amongst towns. Incredibly odd like that. Mostly banter though.

Ardee is in a perfect location. Just off the motorway and in 20 mins from Dundalk or Drogheda. You can be in Dublin in 40 mins. Town is eFibre enabled as of a couple of months ago too.

Personally there's nowhere in Louth I'd rather live. As nice as Carlingford is, it certainly has it's downsides; lots of stag/hen do's, extreme weather, expensive. I've always seen Carlingford as somewhere nice to visit rather than a place to live.

If there's anything else, just shout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Anywhere but Blackrock unless your "upper class" Snobs the lot of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Shows how much you know!

If you're working in Dundalk then you have every open to you. It might be hard to find somewhere good in these places but I'd go

1) Town
    2) Cooley
    3) Annagassan
    4) Castlebellingham

You should be able to get something there. South Louth is beautiful and an easy commute, don't forget the commute! South Louth is lovely and there should be something available. If you're working in Dundalk there's no sense in living in or south of Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

It all depends on what you're looking for, have kids etc
    Carlingford is lovely but a good spin into Dundalk, ravensdale is a beautiful area, would love to live in it myself!
    Blackrock is a lovely community, house prices would be more expensive than haggardstown so that could be an option?

All depends on if you want country house, town estate etc really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I knew somebody would start this.....

What absolute nonsense. I'm not from Blackrock but I know many who are. They are decent hard working people with what seems to be a tremendous community spirit.

Shoe lover will have a look on Daft later to see what is available in Dunleer.

MonkeyTennis we had already looked at Blackrock again not much available but not looked at Knockbridge.

CarrickMcJoe both are Primary age but tend to do a lot of after school activities so don’t really want to spend all my evening driving to and fro. That being said would prefer a more village setting opposed to a town setting.

Peejay1986 thank you for your detailed response. One of the main reasons for coming on here was to get the ‘locals’ point of view. I understand what you are saying. Think I will arrange some viewings and see where that leads.

Mrs W yes we have 2 primary aged children and would prefer a country/village setting as opposed to the town.

Thank you for all your replies.

Is there any other website I should be looking at other than Daft for house for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

My home dot eye e but in fairness, daft gets the biggest if not most footfall

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Mrs W

Haggardstown has a lovely primary school but I'm a little biased, there's a good few houses for sale around the area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

You should just move to Dundalk. Not only is it the greatest town in Louth it may just be the greatest town on the planet. ;)
    Otherwise Blackrock is a good shout. Has that small seaside town feel but a stones throw from Dundalk. Plenty of nice bars and restaurants too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Hi there Corky and welcome,
    I just came across this thread, Louth is a small enough county and its split in two by the M1 so you can get from one end to the other north to south or east to west in a short space of time and from Mid Louth, Dunleer or castlebellingham you are in the centre of the county and close to The M1.
    If its a small town or village then your choices are limited to Dunleer, Castlebellingham, Tallanstown, Knockbridge, Louth village, Clogherhead, Annagassan, Tenure, Tullyallen and Termonfeckin.
    What type of house are you looking for ?

Just for correctness. You will not get from CarlIngford to Knockbridge for example in under 35 minutes. Carlingford to the Lourdes hospital is just over an hour. That's all driving legally of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

In a similar situation ourselves looking at the rock / ravensdale. Both have pros and cons! Reared in ravensdale and all my poor folks remember is looking at us in the back of the jammer but cracking spot to visit- hill walking/ biking etc! Good luck with your decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Orian

I just came across this thread so I'm not sure if you have already decided but I decently moved to Haggardstown and would highly recommend it, it's a nice quiet community with a good school, a few mins from blackrock and also a short drive in to Dundalk town, I feel I made a great move buying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Orian wrote: »
    I just came across this thread so I'm not sure if you have already decided but I decently moved to Haggardstown and would highly recommend it, it's a nice quiet community with a good school, a few mins from blackrock and also a short drive in to Dundalk town, I feel I made a great move buying here.
    Thanks for the reply! We are looking at de mo also in around country areas. Hard to beat haggardstown it is with those amenities! I have heard good reports about the school and close to the rock/ town for amenities!
    Good luck in your new home'

Just for correctness. You will not get from CarlIngford to Knockbridge for example in under 35 minutes. Carlingford to the Lourdes hospital is just over an hour. That's all driving legally of course :)

Ya must be using a sit on lawnmower to get from Carlingford to Drogheda in 1 hour. 45mins tops

Ya must be using a sit on lawnmower to get from Carlingford to Drogheda in 1 hour. 45mins tops

62km of which over 20 km is non motorway. You must be breaking the speed limit all the way, as 45 minutes would be an average speed of 82kph. I drive it regularly - at the speed limit. I know how long it takes. The usual is one hour to one hour five minutes. My lawnmower is a 2 year old 2 litre 176bhp and it can't do it much quicker legally. I did it considerably quicker in an emergency but only by greatly exceeding the speed limit all the way.

62km of which over 20 km is non motorway. You must be breaking the speed limit all the way, as 45 minutes would be an average speed of 82kph. I drive it regularly - at the speed limit. I know how long it takes. The usual is one hour to one hour five minutes. My lawnmower is a 2 year old 2 litre 176bhp and it can't do it much quicker legally. I did it considerably quicker in an emergency but only by greatly exceeding the speed limit all the way.

It takes 20 mins tops Dundalk to Drogheda, so unless it takes you 45 mins from Dundalk to Carlingford, Your wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

It takes 20 mins tops Dundalk to Drogheda, so unless it takes you 45 mins from Dundalk to Carlingford, Your wrong

Without wishing to take it further off topic but the best time I've done Lourdes from Fitzpatricks is 39 mins. There is no chance that Dundalk to Drogheda is 20 mins, the best an ambulance can do it from Louth County to Lourdes is 22! Add in from the Dundalk town itself you're saying near 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Google Maps shows Dundalk to The Lourdes as 27 Minutes.

Interestingly it shows Carlingford to The Lourdes as 47 minutes. (Who'd have thought)

Nonetheless, the topc is residing in Louth, not commute times. :)

Advertisement