Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Considering the weather: linen suit, tie if you feel like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

234 wrote: »
    Considering the weather: linen suit, tie if you feel like it.

Any tips on where to buy a linen suit?
    Don't want to spend a load as I don't know how often it would be worn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 24 Hours From Tulsa

where can i get Chelsea boots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone come across any decent rain jackets lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

frash wrote: »
    Any tips on where to buy a linen suit?
    Don't want to spend a load as I don't know how often it would be worn.

Zara, since all the clothes are designed in Spain. Personally I would wear Chinos(maybe navy), nice shirt and brown shoes. Italians go for simplicity. As do Americans. You dont see any Americans really wear waist coats. Maybe a decent bow tie and no waist coat? They look extremely unflattering on most people, if they arent tailored.

This is what New Yorkers wear in the heat. Its about 30-35 degrees in NYC and Super humid

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2015/09/01/fashion/foraging-for-fashion/s/01RUNWAY-slide-KVK0.html

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/fashion/mens-style/index.html?action=click&region=TopBar&pgtype=SectionFront&module=SectionsNav&version=BrowseTree&contentCollection=Fashion%20%26%20Style%2FMen%27s%20Style&contentPlacement=2&t=qry157

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Maybe this is the wrong place for it, but does anyone know if Boots still have that Driclor anti-perspirant stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    Maybe this is the wrong place for it, but does anyone know if Boots still have that Driclor anti-perspirant stuff?

Yes they do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Has anyone seen any open backed driving gloves anywhere?

Would prefer a B&M rather than online as ice off sized hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Any idea where to get good quality t shirts ? Nothing expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Tesco/F&F

I wear tshirts around the house and every six months or so get myself a fresh batch of them from Tesco for a few quid each.

• Advertisement

H&M have decent cheap t-shirts, keep their shape a lot better than the ones in Pennys anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

T shirts from GAP are good quality. At least the plain ones are for me and nice fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I don't think H&Ms V necks keep their shape very well tbh - so far as roundneck tees are concerned - I'd recommend dunnes - nice fitting, plain tees that're cheap enough

D'Agger wrote: »
    I don't think H&Ms V necks keep their shape very well tbh - so far as roundneck tees are concerned - I'd recommend dunnes - nice fitting, plain tees that're cheap enough

They are fine, you have a weird shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

keane2097 wrote: »
    H&M have decent cheap t-shirts, keep their shape a lot better than the ones in Pennys anyway.

Considering they don't really have any shape to them when they are in the shop, I can't seem them lasting a couple of washes!

keane2097 wrote: »
    They are fine, you have a weird shape.
    The massive chest stretches the V alright :pac:

BDJW wrote: »
    Considering they don't really have any shape to them when they are in the shop, I can't seem them lasting a couple of washes!

What shape are you expecting a cheap t-shirt to have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Anyone read a good fashion blog/website that gives ideas for outfits (casual or
    smart casual) for males in their early twenties? I follow a few threads on reddit and pinterest but they're not great. What are you reading?

I've read a few others in the past they all seem to think I'd go to Coppers or college in a fresh suit that cost 4 grand.

BOHtox wrote: »
    Anyone read a good fashion blog/website that gives ideas for outfits (casual or
    smart casual) for males in their early twenties? I follow a few threads on reddit and pinterest but they're not great. What are you reading?

I've read a few others in the past they all seem to think I'd go to Coppers or college in a fresh suit that cost 4 grand.

I know what you mean, a lot of the online forums are geared towards an older audience and seem to think that everyone needs a few suits/sports coats/wool slacks. mfa on reddit is great for a a younger more casual style.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean, a lot of the online forums are geared towards an older audience and seem to think that everyone needs a few suits/sports coats/wool slacks. mfa on reddit is great for a a younger more casual style.
    MFA on reddit is a solid repository of articles, tips and info however the issues there are - discussion of companies that only deliver in the states or aren't accessible on high streets in Europe, sizing etc. then there's the added cost of shipping to Europe & potential returns issues that may spring up.

Might be an idea to get a thread for decent fashion deals throughout the country? Like a fashion version of bargain alerts :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

MFA on reddit is a solid repository of articles, tips and info however the issues there are - discussion of companies that only deliver in the states or aren't accessible on high streets in Europe, sizing etc. then there's the added cost of shipping to Europe & potential returns issues that may spring up.

Might be an idea to get a thread for decent fashion deals throughout the country? Like a fashion version of bargain alerts :pac:

Great idea! And if we could get it stickied at the top of the page that could be a great idea. I know sporadically Topman and Jack Wills(for instance) have offers for students or for members who sign up to their emails giving them pretty big discounts (25%+). There'd be times I'd walk in with no cash on me but just to see what they have and it would be the last day of their sale and I couldn't utilise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I saw someone wearing a great pair of Dessert boots yesterday, chocolate brown suede(?) with a tiny metal tab/label on the outside side just below and in front of the ankle. Anyone else seen them before? Any idea what brand?

I saw someone wearing a great pair of Dessert boots yesterday, chocolate brown suede(?) with a tiny metal tab/label on the outside side just below and in front of the ankle. Anyone else seen them before? Any idea what brand?

Not sure Dingle. Clarks would be the classic desert boot but to honest the quality is not great and the crepe soles get filthy looking very quickly. I have my eye on a pair of these boots from Loake. £99 sterling which is about the same as pair of Clarks will cost you.

I hear that. Buying stuff online from the states with shipping charges and customs is an absolute pain.

Speaking of deals, I'm a huge fan of military style jackets and picked up one today from Timberland's EU website.
    6964J_019.jpg?sw=600&sh=600&sm=fit

I went for the navy but they also have green and tan colours available also. Reduced from €179 down to €89 with free delivery and returns to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Thanks for the heads-up, bought this jacket on the Timberland website for €94. Great value!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Anyone recommend where to get a nice pair of slippers, new apartment is a bit colder than my parents house so no more just socks :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

astonaidan wrote: »
    Anyone recommend where to get a nice pair of slippers, new apartment is a bit colder than my parents house so no more just socks :(

I swear by Homeys, they're ridiculously comfortable!

http://www.homeys.co.uk/the-lads/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

What are the best type of jeans which are just tighter below the knee toward the bottom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

OriginV wrote: »
    What are the best type of jeans which are just tighter below the knee toward the bottom?

Tapered?

OriginV wrote: »

Jack and Jones do very nice tapered jeans.

• Advertisement

Any kind of slim fit jeans will have a taper Origin. Avoid if you're any bit heavy on top as you'll look like a upside down carrot.

What footwear looks well with jeans and s shirt.

Clarks desert boots. I'm partial to suede but the beeswax leather is perhaps more practical for winter.

Whatever you do, don't get something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Anyone know where I could get a coat like this:

wAfKd7d.jpg

Been searching online but no luck so far!

They're nice, wouldn't pay 60 for them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

wAfKd7d.jpg

Crombie is well about my price range unfortunately! Saw these coats in River Island last year for about €150. This would be more my budget if one can be got now for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

wAfKd7d.jpg

That's a Canali coat in case you didn't know. It's out of stock everywhere and was most likely in the F/W 14 collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Lads, anywhere decent to buy a Tuxedo for a decent enough price in Dublin? Would be willing to go up to 150.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Lads, anywhere decent to buy a Tuxedo for a decent enough price in Dublin? Would be willing to go up to 150.

Better off renting to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

TheBiz wrote: »
    Better off renting to be honest.

Depends how often you will use it. Rentals aren't cheap and a tux would pay for itself after 3-4 events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

I try and do reasonably formal if out with jeans. A good brown brogue maybe - these are from Aldo currently €110

Whats your opinions on brown suede Chelsea boots? Being a younger lad it will probably be with skinny/slim jeans and a jumper..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

M&S. I got my dinner suit there a few years ago and it's already paid for itself.

http://m.marksandspencer.ie/mt/www.marksandspencer.ie/Dinner-Suits/IE_SubCategory_1012587,en_IE,sc.html?sz=24&un_jtt_redirect

Whats your opinions on brown suede Chelsea boots? Being a younger lad it will probably be with skinny/slim jeans and a jumper..

There's a thread in the fashion and appearance forum on this at the moment, I posted a few suggestions. If you get suede, invest in a good waterproofing spray. Don't get leather soles unless you're not going to be doing a lot of walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Chelsea boots for me must be black leather.

Thanks, I was looking at Trigger Brown Suedette Chelsea Boots from Topman as I'm not too sure how they will suit etc.
    I was looking for something with a thinner sole but they're all leather (and expensive) so thats a no go.

Thanks, I was looking at Trigger Brown Suedette Chelsea Boots from Topman as I'm not too sure how they will suit etc.
    I was looking for something with a thinner sole but they're all leather (and expensive) so thats a no go.

As Cary Grant put it:
    I’m reminded of a piece of advice my father gave me regarding shoes: it has stood me in good stead whenever my own finances were low. He said it’s better to buy one good pair of shoes than four cheap ones. One pair made of fine leather could outlast four inferior pairs, and, if well cared for, would continue to proclaim your good judgment and taste no matter how old they become.

I don't know what your budget is, but shoes are one of those things that you should never skimp on. If your budget is limited then you need to be careful with how you use your resources. €50 for a pair of topman shoes that fall apart in three months is €50 wasted. €100 for a reasonable pair of boots that last you a year is a good investment. €300+ for a pair of goodyear welted boots that last you the best part of a decade is an extremely wise investment. Hang on until the January sales and see if you can find a good pair. Ebay is also a good hunting ground as you'll often find people who have bought shoes and then decide they don't like them/don't fit etc.

• Advertisement

Thats definitely some solid logic, thanks I'll leave it to the sales and then go from there with your advice in mind. Thanks

Advertisement