Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Hands up. I'm just a Complete Fashion Victim. But, to these Bog Betches of Leitrim? I'm their vision of Don Draper!

Chic_zpsdcd56b58.jpg

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Whats all of your thinking on Rayban Aviators, thinking of getting a pair, usually I go with Oakley but might change it up

Rayban Aviators ooze cool. But, I could see their ownership being fraught with stress. What if they fall? Dare ye put them down on the bar?

That's a whole Lot of money in a pair of shades. Why I decided not to get a pair myself :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone kno a ood outlet for nice country chic clothes? shirts, junpers or wax jackets? without being totally over the top price wise, I know dubarrys have a new outlet somewhere in Dublin. people in England seem to have a great range in this sort of clothing espically among race going crowds but seem to be somewhat lacking in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

There used to be a shop called Racing Green that does that type of clothing but I'd say if you pop into Arnotts, Clerys or the like you would find what you are looking for as they have extensive menswear that cater for that type of conservative wear.

The Dubarry shop is next to Abercrombie and Fitch on College Green (opposite Trinity and the Bank of Ireland).

Ditch wrote: »
    Rayban Aviators ooze cool. But, I could see their ownership being fraught with stress. What if they fall? Dare ye put them down on the bar?

That's a whole Lot of money in a pair of shades. Why I decided not to get a pair myself :(
    I thought they had a cool appeal alright, Im kinda always worried about my oakleys in the same light so would not be a new thing.

Ye've actually got me thinking now .....

It was decades back when I seriously considered a pair. Now? I could actually afford a pair. I'm also that much older, so I wouldn't look like a poseur.

In fact, with my wide brimmed hat ~ especially if I got the yellow lensed ones and carried my rifle? I could look really rugged. I could peer into the distance a lot. People'd probably think of Rod Steiger or Robert Duvall :)

Only trouble is, I now live in the middle of no where. I don't see another living soul for days. When I do, it's usually just Pat. And he'd just shake his head.

I go into town once a week. Fiona, in the creamery, might realise I'm wearing genuine RBA's. Though, if I marched in there with my rifle? She might not hang around too long to check out my shades.

Same on main street. Standing at the cross roads, rifle hanging from my hand. Peering. I'd probably appear quite enigmatic. Till they cut me down in a hail of high velocity rounds.

Naah, Don't know about you, Astonaidan. Think I'll be giving the Aviators a miss though :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would anyone have any general recommendations for someone who knows next to nothing about dress sense and wants to look smarter? I think I'm reaching an age where I don't think wearing heavy metal T-shirts is still acceptable. I wandered around a few local shops and everything seems to be really expensive. I don't really know much about labels either so if anyone has any tips that'd be great.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Would anyone have any general recommendations for someone who knows next to nothing about dress sense and wants to look smarter? I think I'm reaching an age where I don't think wearing heavy metal T-shirts is still acceptable. I wandered around a few local shops and everything seems to be really expensive. I don't really know much about labels either so if anyone has any tips that'd be great.
    I tend to visit the likes of GQ and Esquire for ideas. I'm not as adventurous as what you'll see on those sites but I do like to dress properly and make an effort.

Ditch wrote: »
    Ye've actually got me thinking now .....

It was decades back when I seriously considered a pair. Now? I could actually afford a pair. I'm also that much older, so I wouldn't look like a poseur.

In fact, with my wide brimmed hat ~ especially if I got the yellow lensed ones and carried my rifle? I could look really rugged. I could peer into the distance a lot. People'd probably think of Rod Steiger or Robert Duvall :)

Only trouble is, I now live in the middle of no where. I don't see another living soul for days. When I do, it's usually just Pat. And he'd just shake his head.

I go into town once a week. Fiona, in the creamery, might realise I'm wearing genuine RBA's. Though, if I marched in there with my rifle? She might not hang around too long to check out my shades.

Same on main street. Standing at the cross roads, rifle hanging from my hand. Peering. I'd probably appear quite enigmatic. Till they cut me down in a hail of high velocity rounds.

Naah, Don't know about you, Astonaidan. Think I'll be giving the Aviators a miss though :(
    Haha I was thinking more Tom Cruise Top Gun

• Advertisement

astonaidan wrote: »
    Haha I was thinking more Tom Cruise Top Gun

:eek: Whipper snapper! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I tend to visit the likes of GQ and Esquire for ideas. I'm not as adventurous as what you'll see on those sites but I do like to dress properly and make an effort.

Might be worth a look, ta. There's not much point in spending money if what I buy doesn't work together.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Why not ask a sales consultant in a store like Arnotts or Debenhams or even the high street chains such as Next, Burtons, Zara or River Island for recommendations or tips on what to match or colour co-ordinate or even have them pick out a few suggested items. They'll most likely be delighted to get a request that is different from "do you have this in a 32 waist?" I was in Jack'n'Jones in Liffey Valley recently and this really helpful and friendly sales guy helped me pick out a shirt and jeans I'd never have picked from the rack myself. When I tried them on, I thought they looked great and have gotten a lot of compliments at work and out when I wore them last Friday. Best time to get someone is on a quiet week day when they will not be rushed off their feet.

If you are someone who is unfamiliar with fashion, I'd be wary of immediately spending lots of money on GQ or Esquire type attire that could be hit and miss unless you are comfortable or familiar with the type of clothes, colours and styles that work for you, you like and make you feel good. Then, when you become more familiar, you can start being a little adventurous and pay a little more depending on your budget.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

From what I saw of GQ etc, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. Men's clothing is IMO being feminized by the fashion industry and it must be stopped - what I mean by this is excessively tight clothes, features like darts on the back of shirts, coats/jackets too short, hideous colours like pink etc.

Men have got to stand up to this nonsense and rebuff this attack on our identity. Avoid slim fit shirts - to play it safe, go for regular/classic fit. Avoid like the plague slim trousers/jeans - believe me, they do not look good - in fact, slim trousers/jeans make the legs of most men appear short and well as fat - again to play it safe, go for regular fit and leave enough length at the bottom for a single break. Avoid coats/jackets that have the main hem finishing at the mid rump - this makes men look fat IMO - coats in general should finish well below the rump.

Have to go now - might be back later...

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

awec wrote: »
    Like if I stand outside for 2 hours in pissing rain I'd like to still be dry underneath.

As long as ye realise ye legs are going to be absolutely f**king saturated? The water pissing off ye jacket will soak them. Ye'll be wet, cold and miserable in no time.

For over a decade now I've owned and worn what ever's now become This. And it looks as good as it ever has, today. More to the point? I've probably slung it through the washing machine Twice, in that time!

This jacket never feels cold, in the cold. Or hot and heavy, in the hot. I find it's just like a force field around my core. No element can get within an inch of my skin when I have my double Ventile jacket on.

I don't feel out of place wearing it Anywhere either. Field or arriving at an office. It fits in.

And that's just a totally honest review from a guy who lusted after a double Ventile jacket for thirty years or more. And has never been disappointed in over ten years of owning one :)

But, ye legs ....? Dunno. I wear wax proofed leggins. Rain slips off my jacket. Down them. Off my waterproof boots ..... I'm storm proof.

Look after ye legs, my friend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Middle Man wrote: »
    From what I saw of GQ etc, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. Men's clothing is IMO being feminized by the fashion industry and it must be stopped - what I mean by this is excessively tight clothes, features like darts on the back of shirts, coats/jackets too short, hideous colours like pink etc.

Men have got to stand up to this nonsense and rebuff this attack on our identity. Avoid slim fit shirts - to play it safe, go for regular/classic fit. Avoid like the plague slim trousers/jeans - believe me, they do not look good - in fact, slim trousers/jeans make the legs of most men appear short and well as fat - again to play it safe, go for regular fit and leave enough length at the bottom for a single break. Avoid coats/jackets that have the main hem finishing at the mid rump - this makes men look fat IMO - coats in general should finish well below the rump.

What have I just read !?!?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm after a new coat. Want it to be waterproof (i.e. a raincoat).

Want a decent one so don't mind spending money on it. Like if I stand outside for 2 hours in pissing rain I'd like to still be dry underneath.

Also must look decent too.

Any suggestions? I had been looking at a Stutterheim but I'm undecided! :)

Edit to add:

Slim / fitted is best. I don't want to be wearing a parachute! :D
    I got a padded jacked in H&M two years ago and it's one of the best jackets I've ever had. Incredibly warm and the material on the outside seems to allow rain to roll off it rather than sticking to it.

I've never had to wear it in terrible rain for a prolonged period but it's the warmest thing I own, would wear it to matches if the stands are going to be cold, camping etc.

Just checked the site there and there's padded jackets there that look the same so maybe worth a look - Jacket 1, Jacket 2

So basically, if such clothes actually look good on many men, it is still an attack on their identiy? One would need to be very insecure about their identity in the first place if something as inoffensive as a slim fit shirt is viewed as a threat!

Your points are somewhat valid if someone does not have a suitable body shape for such clothes (and I'm guessing that you are projecting some issues here - hence your OTT reaction) but that is more to do with choosing and wearing clothes that actually suit your build and personality rather than a threat on masculinity. On many guys, slim fit shirts are the best fit for them (same with slimmer cut trousers etc, or more vibrant colours to suit their personality/complexion etc and what they are comfortable wearing etc ). And yes you are correct, they may look awful or inappropriate on not so slim or insecure guys but this is where some fashion sense comes into play rather than a call for boycotting clothes that some particular individuals dislike.

I acknowledge that the fashion industry is schewed towards the slim and can alienate those who are not so slim but viewing it as an attack on masculinity is ridiculous!

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    So basically, if such clothes actually look good on many men, it is still an attack on their identiy? One would need to be very insecure about their identity in the first place if something as inoffensive as a slim fit shirt is viewed as a threat!

Your points are somewhat valid if someone does not have a suitable body shape for such clothes (and I'm guessing that you are projecting some issues here - hence your OTT reaction) but that is more to do with choosing and wearing clothes that actually suit your build and personality rather than a threat on masculinity. On many guys, slim fit shirts are the best fit for them (same with slimmer cut trousers etc, or more vibrant colours to suit their personality/complexion etc and what they are comfortable wearing etc ). And yes you are correct, they may look awful or inappropriate on not so slim or insecure guys but this is where some fashion sense comes into play rather than a call for boycotting clothes that some particular individuals dislike.

I acknowledge that the fashion industry is schewed towards the slim and can alienate those who are not so slim but viewing it as an attack on masculinity is ridiculous!

OK, that's fair enough - I actually have no problem with you viewpoint - you seem to believe in choice and that's cool.

My problem is that when so called fashion experts like GQ start ridiculing looser fit clothes on men, they are decreeing that men in general should wear tighter clothes whether they like it or not - this is supposed to be a free world and IMO sheep mentality in terms of fashion clearly belongs in the 20th century - we are supposed to be a modern tolerant society that accepts others for who they are as long as they do no harm. On this point, I am totally fed up of certain women passing remarks on how men present themselves in public - it is absolutely none of their business - some women have taken too much liberty in their attitudes towards men and that's IMO giving rise among other things to increased masculinity among certain males. Mind you, I've no interest in the alpha male either - that's just another type of asshole. However, men like myself believe that equality is equality and that it is time that certain women started behaving like adults rather than spoiled children throwing tantrums when men don't always do what they want.

On a side note, I don't like tattoos, but yet I don't bang on about them here - that's because they are not being forced on me - it's a choice. However, that does not seem to be case with mens fashion and I will admit to my tendency to become entrenched, but dogmatic interests such as GQ gives rise to entrenchment amid those who have preferences to the contrary. However, my message to the likes of GQ is: I will continue to exercise my civil rights (freedom of expression) and wear loose clothes - that's my choice and I'm entitled to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

This reads like a satirical piece from GQ!!! Wear baggy shirts and bootcut jeans if you want matey!

And shops will continue to sell what men want to buy - which is more fitted clothing.

They're not forcing anything on anyone, they just want to stock clothes that will sell. It all depends on the target market of the shop - if you want loose fitting clothes you're probably going to have to go to a shop that caters for older men. High street brands and shops/designers that want to cater to the younger, "trendier" man aren't going to be interested in stocking baggy clothes (or at least not a lot of it).

I always shop in mainstream stores - even if I've to make do with plainer clothes. I've no interest in small fashion shops really - I want clothes that are comfortable and look well - I just don't like tight clothes on men and that's it - that's my choice. Technology is what I'm more interested in anyway - even if I'm an Android fan with my Galaxy phone, I'm still very interested in the upcoming iPhone 6 - there's also supposed to be an iPad Air 2 coming out this week...

franglan wrote: »
    This reads like a satirical piece from GQ!!! Wear baggy shirts and bootcut jeans if you want matey!

GQ is a fashion comedy IMO!

Neat fitting clothes are one thing - GQ is another.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I tried on a slim fit polo shirt yesterday in my size (XL) and felt like it was a medium. Don't get the appeal at all.

Yes, that's your choice. Nothing is being forced on you though and there's no attack on the identity of men (whatever that is).

Shops react to the market. Not the other way around.

..and that means certain women minding their own business and stop passing remarks on men in the street - were they never thought to have any respect towards other people???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I sort of get Middle Man is saying if you ignore the 'attack on masculinity' thing. I don't think anybody can deny there has been a move towards what would be considered typically feminine style in mens high street fashion (if thats positive/negative/completely neutral is a different argument).
    I saw this in Penneys a while back (in the mens section :eek: )
    fkmlhw.jpg
    And shops will continue to sell what men want to buy - which is more fitted clothing.

They're not forcing anything on anyone, they just want to stock clothes that will sell. It all depends on the target market of the shop - if you want loose fitting clothes you're probably going to have to go to a shop that caters for older men. High street brands and shops/designers that want to cater to the younger, "trendier" man aren't going to be interested in stocking baggy clothes (or at least not a lot of it).

In relation to the Skinny thing, I think he has a point too, it seems to look pretty awful on an awful lot of people, is the current trend actually going to make most people look good, I don;t think so and I'm not arguing this from perspective ongarboy mentions
    So basically, if such clothes actually look good on many men

Your points are somewhat valid if someone does not have a suitable body shape for such clothes (and I'm guessing that you are projecting some issues here - hence your OTT reaction) but that is more to do with choosing and wearing clothes that actually suit your build and personality

I've a BMI of 21.47 and fairly tall, before I lost a couple of kilo's a while back I don't think I could really pull of any slim/skinny clothing and still don't have much (apart from penneys slim non-v neck t-shirts for e2.50 which I am buying tons of). At that weight I have a lower BMI than 90% of the 30-45 age group, if I bump myself down to the 17-29 bracket I'm still skinnier than 77% of men.
    The current trend does not suit to majority of people.

In relation to masculinity question, masculinity is often associated with what are traditionaly viewed as masculine pursuits (or simply manly men doing manly things :p )
    I had a pair of levi's that I didn't like, so after years in the bottom drawer I decided to retire them to on-site work wore them for a week straight really hard wearing and comfy in a job that will destroy clothes fast, you can do the same with combats etc skinny jeans not so much :cool:

fkmlhw.jpg

:eek: is right!

Sleeveless tops are one thing, but that rubbish is another.

I also need to make the point that I'm in no way fat - some posters here seem to think I'm fat just because I made it apparent that I'm not a size 0 male. Then, if a man is not size 0, many in society seem to think body building is the way to go - what a load of crap! Why do people always have to be extreme.

On the subject of fashion, I happen to be a male with very broad shoulders and a medium build (absolutely nothing wrong with that) - in fact, my front profile is very blocky and fairly loose clothes (never said anything about baggy clothes) are what's best suited for me. I have reasonably long arms but they are far apart so my sleeves need to be very long (contrary to advice from the likes of GQ) to get the proportions right - the same goes for my trousers - they need to be long and wide. As some people quite rightly pointed out, it does depend on shape - but as what I've described above, weight is not the only factor that defines shape.

On a general note, mens fashion in its current form is IMO a regimented relic from the past that is practically targeted at males of a very particular age and lifestyle (basically elitist). Fashion for the 21st century must become inclusive, diverse, practical, tolerant and relevant - otherwise, the so called fashion experts will just be ignored by many older men including those of middle age. Also, the fashion industry needs to get used to the fact that the basic purpose of clothing is to cover and make comfortable and that will always be the overriding factor in the end.

Loose Clothing Rules OK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it's the fashion industry that decides what's 'in' this is what shops stock, people want to buy it because it's 'in'.

did shops start stocking chinos, floral pattern wife beaters & shorts, etc. because irish men wanted to buy them or did men start wearing them because they were in stock/in fashion? :pac:

wearing fitted clothing is grand if you're in OK shape after that & you can quickly look like the equivalent of the overweight girl in the tight leggings & muffin top, wearing them because they're 'in'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

So where do ye shop for normal/loose fit clothes? A lot of high street retails (J&J, RI, TM, GAP, H&M) seem to have drifted towards slim/skinny fits. Not just the clothes labelled skinny/slim!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

the so called fashion experts will just be ignored by many older men including those of middle age. Also, the fashion industry needs to get used to the fact that the basic purpose of clothing is to cover and make comfortable and that will always be the overriding factor in the end.
    It already is really and always has been. People tend to settle on a style as they get older and cease following the trends. I have pretty much been wearing the same style of clothes for 10-15 years and could not give a toss what anyone else thinks about it. That said I wouldn't dream of going into Topman or jack n Jones as I know the clothes in there are not for me.

Anyway on an unrelated topic - Ties, how long do you wear them? I tend to let mine reach just the top of my belt but it seems too long when sitting down. Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Anyway on an unrelated topic - Ties, how long do you wear them? I tend to let mine reach just the top of my belt but it seems too long when sitting down. Thoughts?

Normal advice is the top of the waistband of your trousers. Shorter makes you look fat or oversized; longer makes you look like a kid in his dad's suit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Tie should just touch the top of the waistband of your trousers.

Should be able to see your belt buckle when you're standing.
    234 wrote: »
    Normal advice is the top of the waistband of your trousers. Shorter makes you look fat or oversized; longer makes you look like a kid in his dad's suit.

Grand thanks, that's what I thought. First time I wore a tie on a daily basis since school ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Tie should just touch the top of the waistband of your trousers.

Should be able to see your belt buckle when you're standing.

And not many people know this.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it's the fashion industry that decides what's 'in' this is what shops stock, people want to buy it because it's 'in'.

did shops start stocking chinos, floral pattern wife beaters & shorts, etc. because irish men wanted to buy them or did men start wearing them because they were in stock/in fashion? :pac:

wearing fitted clothing is grand if you're in OK shape after that & you can quickly look like the equivalent of the overweight girl in the tight leggings & muffin top, wearing them because they're 'in'

Indeed - what you said is much closer to the truth IMO!

We as men should seriously learn to complain about what's available for us in the shops - frequently, the choice available is a disgrace. For example, it's very difficult to get boot cut trousers and in some cases, even ordinary wide legged ones - the types that best suit my shape - putting slim trousers on solid build men like myself is like trying to run narrow gauge trains on broad gauge tracks - it kind of doesn't work! :rolleyes:

I for one will start asking in store for wide legged or boot cut trousers and if they say they're not available, I'll just say: Is that the best you can do? I'll just have to go elsewhere - even online! If enough men do this, then the shops might start to get the message out of fear of financially losing out - given that men make up 50% of the market. In short, the language that shops understand is money and who is it that has the dosh that keeps their sales going - yep, Us! :cool:

Let's vote with our €€€€€s!!!

So where do ye shop for normal/loose fit clothes? A lot of high street retails (J&J, RI, TM, GAP, H&M) seem to have drifted towards slim/skinny fits. Not just the clothes labelled skinny/slim!

+1

IMO you said it mate - Normal is right! ;)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It already is really and always has been. People tend to settle on a style as they get older and cease following the trends. I have pretty much been wearing the same style of clothes for 10-15 years and could not give a toss what anyone else thinks about it. That said I wouldn't dream of going into Topman or jack n Jones as I know the clothes in there are not for me.

...well absolutely :) - but as long as what you want is still easily available on the high street and of course, the shopping centres...

• Advertisement

Best straight leg jeans on the market (imo) are levi 506 and 504.
    Yes levi's :D

Hardly anyone wants to wear bootcut trousers because they are very out of date. Straight jeans aren't that hard to find.

M+S do loads of "daddy jeans" - have you looked in there?

Who decides that bootcut is out of date??? O'Grady says... :rolleyes:

Sorry mate - I just don't happen to be the kind of man that likes to be told what to do! Again, we are all different shapes and sizes and have different preferences - and yes, I do see plenty of men in wide leg trousers - even boot cut. Following the fashion like sheep is old school and is IMO a money making racket anyway. This notion of 'The Fashion' clearly belongs in the 20th century. We are now supposed to be a modern diverse and tolerant society.

This is 2014 FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Once you move beyond the high street chains that will always cater to changing trends (RI, Top Man, Zara, etc) there is still plenty out there. Personally, I'm quite happy that more places offer slim fitting clothes now as they fit me far better, however, there are still plenty of places that do regular and looser clothes.

If you do want to keep up with certain trends then you will have to accept their changing interpretations of how clothes should fit. But if you are looking for things that are relatively constant: shirts, jeans, chinos, jumpers, jackets, etc. there are still loads of places that sell then in the normal variety of fits; you just might have to expand your horizons a little.

Wandering in Penny's, or any high street fashion outlet will always involve accepting the current trends as they interpret them.

234 wrote: »
    Once you move beyond the high street chains that will always cater to changing trends (RI, Top Man, Zara, etc) there is still plenty out there. Personally, I'm quite happy that more places offer slim fitting clothes now as they fit me far better, however, there are still plenty of places that do regular and looser clothes.

If you do want to keep up with certain trends then you will have to accept their changing interpretations of how clothes should fit. But if you are looking for things that are relatively constant: shirts, jeans, chinos, jumpers, jackets, etc. there are still loads of places that sell then in the normal variety of fits; you just might have to expand your horizons a little.

Wandering in Penny's, or any high street fashion outlet will always involve accepting the current trends as they interpret them.

I'll probably just start shopping around - even online...

Middle Man, I heartlily agree with Awec. You can get wide legged or boot cut trousers and jeans and loose fit shirts etc in every single menswear store outside of the youth oriented high street chains. Every department store, independent menswear store and even plenty of the chains themselves do such attire so you do not have a lack of choice (and of course infinite choice online).

If certain stores do not stock what you want, just go to the ones that do. Your argument is like going to an Indian restaurant and giving out because they don't serve Italian food.

You go on about not wanting to be dictated by current fashion yet you seem to want to dictate what others wear. I don't understand this hang up you have about fashion, no one is forcing anyone to wear anything yet going by your earlier language you talk about it almost like an infringement on your civil rights.

Middle Man, I heartlily agree with Awec. You can get wide legged or boot cut trousers and jeans and loose fit shirts etc in every single menswear store outside of the youth oriented high street chains. Every department store, independent menswear store and even plenty of the chains themselves do such attire so you do not have a lack of choice (and of course infinite choice online).

If certain stores do not stock what you want, just go to the ones that do. Your argument is like going to an Indian restaurant and giving out because they don't serve Italian food.

You go on about not wanting to be dictated by current fashion yet you seem to want to dictate what others wear. I don't understand this hang up you have about fashion, no one is forcing anyone to wear anything yet going by your earlier language you talk about it almost like an infringement on your civil rights.

Well I could argue that if GQ and their ilk were food 'experts' and had the same attitude towards people's preferences regarding food, then perhaps they would be ridiculing anyone who goes into Italian restaurants (because it's not so cool) and dictating that everyone should be eating Indian food whether we like it or not. Their aim would probably be to put Italian food out of business in that scenario and perhaps Italian food would start becoming scarce in the supermarkets etc as certain people would decree it's uncool.

Actually, when one looks at it this way, there's a word for that IMO:

Bullying!

To be honest, it sounds like you're more annoyed that other men aren't wearing the sort of clothes you want to be wearing.

We are a modern and tolerant society. You can get the clothes you want if you go looking for them, you're just going to have to accept that it's more difficult because what you want is different to what a lot of places are selling right now.

But they are certainly out there - as I said have you looked in M+S? You will certainly get what you want online though, asos for example stock all sorts, shapes and sizes of jeans. :)

This will be my last reply here as my chess club championship has commenced and hence, I'll be pretty occupied with that.

Now, I'm not annoyed at men simply choosing to wear tighter clothes - I'm annoyed because it seems that some men are wearing tight clothes because they are told to by the likes of GQ etc and the shops are following suit. Also, it seems that traditionally, Irish men allowed women to have a lot of influence on how men presented themselves which now IMO, plays straight into the ultra feminist ideology. In certain shops, I have actually seen women picking out mens clothes :eek: - it's either that the man is a lazy good for nothing or the women is a domineering bitch - either way it's sicking to look at :mad:.

As a man, I will simply not take any of that BS! I will decide how I present myself and yes, I really detest GQ - so much that I have this simple equation:

GQ = What not to do!

Men, please use your own judgement and decide what style you want - after all, it's what YOU want - not what others want. If you need advice from anyone, make very clear the style you want first and only then ask how to go about it - never give other people power - you should always be in the driving seat - it's your body after all! On another note, if anyone tells you how to present yourself, tell them to F*** Off - it's none of their business.

Best of Luck Guys!

On another note, if anyone tells you how to present yourself, tell them to F*** Off - it's none of their business.

Best of Luck Guys!

You can't see the irony in this sentence, can you? This is exactly what what you are doing to everyone here!!! :rolleyes:

Btw, you seem to be very knowledgeable of GQ - what a fashionista!!

I hope your chess opponent isn't wearing skinny jeans or you'll ask the game to be called off due to bullying, civil rights infringements, dictatorship and threat to masculinity...!!

• Advertisement

Middle Man has a point, to a degree, because lets be honest Irish people are sheep, I see it every day.

I see clowns wearing clothes that look atrocious on them. Why are they wearing them? Probably because their mates are or because they seen it in GQ :P (does anyone actually read GQ though :D)

Wear what you want to wear. Simples :)

Advertisement