Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc. Mathematical Modelling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Have you studied maths at all beyond school level? Tbh I'd say it would be very difficult if you've no background in Maths beyond the leaving cert. If you've no maths background then I'm not sure you'd be admitted to the course in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JW92

Oh no, I have an arts degree in maths (as in it's not a pure maths degree). It's just that for this type of masters, would that be enough? Need I study something else first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

JW92 wrote: »
    Oh no, I have an arts degree in maths (as in it's not a pure maths degree). It's just that for this type of masters, would that be enough? Need I study something else first?

:o

Managed to not see the bit where you said "I have a 2.1 degree in which I studied maths as an Arts subject".

Sorry.

In that case what I'd do is find out who in charge of that program and contact them to discuss it. You'd be able to find out if they will be covering topics you haven't touched before. I did an MSc with a strong mathematical content, and when we got onto things like calculus we skipped all the basics on the assumption you knew them already.

No problem! I will do just that.

Indeed. I imagine I would have to do lots of revision and try to catch up. Thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

JW92 wrote: »
    I imagine I would have to do lots of revision and try to catch up.

That's the key point. You get out what you put in.

Even if you're well behind the rest of the class at the start, with the right work ethic you can get top marks by the end.

Unfortunately the right work ethic usually means a lotta work and study, but it'll be worth it when you get your results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

You could look to see if UL or UCC have a hdip in maths, to bridge the gap between an undergrad course (with some maths content) and a masters. A hdip would bring you up to the level of knowledge required to do the masters. Best thing to do would be to contact the head of school and go in for a chat laying your cards on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Judochop

Any updates on the course? I have a similar background myself and am thinking of the same course. Btw, what are the job prospects

I met the Course Director and he was really helpful. He introduced me to some of the current students as well so they could give me an insight to what the course is like. I researched some other courses and ended up taking the Computer Science route (I felt it suited me better). But I got a great impression from the MSc. in Mathematical Modelling and I think the job prospects were good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Judochop

Thanks for that. How is the course going for you? Was it also with UCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Resurrecting this thread again. Wondering @judochop if you did the masters as like you where I'm thinking of doing it. Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement