Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ginger Beer with DME?

Options
  • 18-02-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First time posting in here. I've a bit of experience with home brewing (beer, cider, mead etc) and recently got 3kg of light DME. I've looked for recipes online but they mostly seem to have sugar with a big of DME for good luck Does anyone recommend a full DME ginger beer, and if so what recipe would you recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

3kg Light DME
    1kg ginger (€4 in Asia Garden supermarket)
    2 tsp dried powdered ginger
    2 lemons
    2 limes
    1 tsp cream tartar
    2tsp yeast nutrient
    1 packet beer yeast (any clean ale yeast would do)

Chop the ginger, lemons and limes and boil them for 30 mins along with the DME and sugar then put everything into the FV topped up to 22 litres with cold water. Use muslin bags for the ginger and fruit so it'll be easier to clean up.

You could add hops too but I prefer to just let the ginger shine through. Oranges would work too if you wanted that flavour in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Hi all,

First time posting in here. I've a bit of experience with home brewing (beer, cider, mead etc) and recently got 3kg of light DME. I've looked for recipes online but they mostly seem to have sugar with a big of DME for good luck Does anyone recommend a full DME ginger beer, and if so what recipe would you recommend?

Full DME ginger beers are great. Prefer them to table sugar based ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Ok, so I've had this recipe in primary since 27/02, OG 1.050, FG 1.020, coming out at around 4.2% depending on a few things. The target FG was 1.012 (or 5.1%) so I'll give it a few more days in primary. Have to admit that it doesn't taste very gingery at all even with 1kg of the stuff. I'll definitely have to backsweeten it as well - it's obviously not very sweet as all the sugars have been replaced by alcohol.

Any suggestions on what to backsweeten it with and opinions on whether it'll get more gingery if I leave it longer in primary?

(20 liter batch btw)

Weird it's not very gingery, mines came out burning the throat off some people. You could draw off a sample and add small amounts of dried ginger until you are happy with it and then scale it up for the entire batch. Or you could buy more root ginger and make a ginger tea by boiling it again and then straining that into the fermenter. A pinch of cayenne pepper might bring out a little more burn and increase the perceived "gingeryness" as well.

You can back sweeten with Splenda if need be.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Weird it's not very gingery, mines came out burning the throat off some people. You could draw off a sample and add small amounts of dried ginger until you are happy with it and then scale it up for the entire batch. Or you could buy more root ginger and make a ginger tea by boiling it again and then straining that into the fermenter. A pinch of cayenne pepper might bring out a little more burn and increase the perceived "gingeryness" as well.

You can back sweeten with Splenda if need be.

Good idea making 'ginger tea', that should do the trick. With regards to Splenda, I've never backsweetened with an artificial sweetener before, does it have any adverse effects on the overall taste? Never been a fan of artificial sweeteners.

• Advertisement

I've never used it myself tbh but you can find plenty of info about using it online.

I sweetened my ginger beer by making up a sugar syrup and adding that to the glass when serving.

I've never used it myself tbh but you can find plenty of info about using it online.

I sweetened my ginger beer by making up a sugar syrup and adding that to the glass when serving.

Yeah I've been investigating it online, seems like it's a bit inconsistent. It seems like the sugar syrup solution is the best in terms of taste (if not convenience).

Yeah I've been investigating it online, seems like it's a bit inconsistent. It seems like the sugar syrup solution is the best in terms of taste (if not convenience).

If you're only drinking it at home the sugar syrup method is great, just make a full bottle and store it in the fridge for serving.

Can be a bit more awkward if you're planning on sharing the beer with friends etc.

If you're only drinking it at home the sugar syrup method is great, just make a full bottle and store it in the fridge for serving.

Can be a bit more awkward if you're planning on sharing the beer with friends etc.

Nah, no-one drinks my homebrew except me and my girlfriend, so that's that sorted. Thanks!

Advertisement