Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Encryption

Options
  • 18-02-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Have WPA-PSK setup on my eircom router . Have two laptops in the house . When I check the network properties on the laptops , one shows as connected with WPA , the other shows connected as WPA2 .
    How can it be possible that their properties are different even though the initial encryption on the router is WPA-PSK ??? I know WPA and WPA2 are very similar but why don't they have the same properties . The laptop with the WPA2 wouldn't initially connect to the router so I had to delete the network that was on it , reset the router and then put it the key that worked on no bother on the other laptop .
    Both are connecting fine but just a little puzzled why each laptop has a different encryption setting on it .
    Cheers for any responses !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Are you sure it's not set to WPA and WPA2 so devices use either?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

Are you sure it's not set to WPA and WPA2 so devices use either?

Here's a snap shot of router configuration .
    I'm just confused why they connect differently , does it depend on the wifi card in each laptop ??

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Here's a snap shot of router configuration .
    I'm just confused why they connect differently , does it depend on the wifi card in each laptop ??

Most routers allow WPA and WPA2 to run in parallel, it's a fallback for older devices that don't support WPA2. It's usually less of an issue now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The important thing to look out for on your router or AP is 'CCMP' or 'AES'. This is the actual encryption protocol/algorithm that you want to use (versus TKIP/RC4). Whether you use WPA or WPA2 is largely irrelevant as long as it supports CCMP (older implementations of WPA didn't).

Most routers allow WPA and WPA2 to run in parallel, it's a fallback for older devices that don't support WPA2. It's usually less of an issue now though.

So the wifi card in each laptop determined how it wanted to connect ?

• Advertisement

Lennyzip wrote: »
    So the wifi card in each laptop determined how it wanted to connect ?

In effect yes.

In effect yes.

Cheers :-) , this had been wrecking my head all evening !

Advertisement