Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It is ok to put a 5month old kitten in a cattery?

• 18-02-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Would very much appreciate any advice about whether going on holiday and leaving a 5month old kitten at a recommended local cattery would be unfair and cruel on such a young wee thing? Due to external reasons this is the only time we can go on holiday, but are debating not going if this would upset our wee cat. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭NickyL

I think if the cattery is a well-run place and the cats get lots of attention then it's ok - just leave lots of toys with her to keep her occupied.
    Also double check with the cattery before booking your holiday as some have minimum age requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Duvs82

Thanks for your advice! I'm just worried that the cat will become stressed at a young age with being moved out of his home. Will maybe contact the cattery and ask them a few qus like you suggested. My friend offered to take the car to theirs for two weeks, but again just worried about being in a new environment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Depends on the cattery, we left kittens with ours a couple of times, clearly they were well looked after and played with as the people running it could tell us the kittens quirks and what they liked and disliked. (They have a recliner chair and tv in the cattery, I think someone spends some time in there for cuddles)
    If you have someone that you trust to take her, it might be a better option, would she get more attention, playtime etc?

Hi there, he may get more attention at my friends house, but I still worry whether it may stress the cat out with a new environment etc. glad to hear good reports if other kittens in a cattery. How old were your kittens at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Is he vaccinated? Most catterys won't take unvaccinated cats.

• Advertisement

Hi, yes he will be fully vaccinated, dewormed, registered and insured :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I've left kittens aged between 5months and a year into a cattery, but if I had someone I could trust to take one ( and if I only had one) I would. He may be unsure of the new environment, but they get over that quick with someone to play and cuddle and feed them. You could always bring him to visit your friend for a couple of hours, to see how he gets on.
    One tip if you do leave him with a friend, get them to keep him confined to one room with his litter tray for the first night, them open the door and let him explore, but let him sleep in that room (with a hiding place is good), it will help him settle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

mymo wrote: »
    I've left kittens aged between 5months and a year into a cattery, but if I had someone I could trust to take one ( and if I only had one) I would. He may be unsure of the new environment, but they get over that quick with someone to play and cuddle and feed them. You could always bring him to visit your friend for a couple of hours, to see how he gets on.
    One tip if you do leave him with a friend, get them to keep him confined to one room with his litter tray for the first night, them open the door and let him explore, but let him sleep in that room (with a hiding place is good), it will help him settle.
    That is VERY cat dependent; our first two we tried this but one of the two (sisters) wanted to explore and was howling at the door directly demanding to be let out (and we gave in after 5 min as it's done for kitties comfort and we had no other animals to worry about in terms of introduction). Her sister on the other hand did not leave the room until a week later and then only to go hide in the next room over behind another piece of furniture (I'm sure she was out at night but we did not see her).

I agree with the general concept and I've used it with every cat we introduce but don't force the cat to stay in if they want to go explore (only ensure the doors are never closed so they can't retreat back to their safe place though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 donnalflynn

Hi just seen your post. We run a cattery and from our point of view usually the kittens are fine when placed in the care of a cattery. Once it is vaccinated there shouldn't be a problem they settle in well and love the play and attention. Its usually safer aswell as they have no opportunity to run off. Hope it works out

Thank you very much for replying! Great to hear that there are potential options for our cat. We have a reputable cattery near us so will explore that option further too. Many thanks again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement