Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill Incident

Options
  • 18-02-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

It has now been brought to an end.

Details sketchy.

Report from Galway Independent:
    An incident involving a male aged in his 40s at an apartment block in Salthill which began around 5.30pm this evening has been brought to a safe conclusion with no injuries. A media blackout on coverage had been requested by gardaí owing to the nature of the incident.

Kudos to the emergency services. Very professional and effective in their response, by all accounts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thank God it ended ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Just gonna weigh in here, and say that until the official details of what transpired are released, speculation will not be tolerated. Kthanksbye!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Gadvertiser is reporting that the Garda requested a media blackout for the duration of the incident. Someone should really tell them about Twitter...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Twitter was all over this thing, lot's of grainy photos of an apartment block in Salthill lit up and not much else.

The emergency services seemed to do a brilliant job. One tweet made me laugh:
    Presumably with all the police out at #salthill & it being Rag week Eyre Sq has become it's own independent state.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Just some clear further information from @endacunningham, Connacht Tribune journalist:
    At the request of the Gardai, we observed a media blackout on an incident involving armed Gardai and a negotiator in Salthill this evening.

At around 5.30pm, Gardai were called to an apartment block in Salthill to an incident involving a man in his 40s. #salthill

Around a dozen members of the armed Regional Response Unit and detectives were at the scene,as well as a unit of the Fire Brigade. #salthill

A negotiator spoke with the man for around four hours, before he was safely removed from the roof. He is now in custody. #salthill

We had all the details, but observed the Garda blackout request due to the nature of the incident, until it came to an end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It's been all over twitter anyway. It's hard to maintain a blackout these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Irish Independent report on incident - including link to a recent scam in the city.

Mods: Not trying to speculate here, its being reported in national media, but remove if you feel it's inappropriate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 St.Chivalry

For pictures;
    https://twitter.com/search?q=salthill&src=typd

Also, people on reddit.com/r/ireland are discussing it about the theories,etc I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭shot2go

hope he gets the help he needs.

it has been reported that it was linked to a scam in the city, i do feel it was wrong that one business named him along with his photo on facebook :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Thank goodness that guy didn't go through with hurting himself in such a violent manner.

Respect to the emergency services for their work this evening on this, getting the man off that building and into their duty of care.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 SanPatricios

What was the media blackout for? Just to prevent a bigger scene/giving him attention?

I'd say it was more to prevent any wild and unconfirmed info that could be potentially damaging to folks from getting out.

This auld internet moves awful shwift these days... With the tweeting, and the friendfacing, and whatnot. Jaysus. :pac:

I'd say it was more to prevent any wild and unconfirmed info that could be potentially damaging to folks from getting out
    Like what? Not disagreeing, just can't think of what might have been said that could be damaging. Were the papers going to pull some random name out of a hat and claim it was them up there reciting Enoch Powell's rivers of blood or something?

The potential is endless. Galway is a relatively small place. You'd be surprised at how easily a random name can be thrown around and then be recognised, and ran with.

Amazing lesson in anthropology; tough if it's a friend or a family member, though.

Maybe I'm just adorably naive but I wouldn't have thought the newspapers would go ahead and run stories with unconfirmed names etc. Even now that the blackout has been lifted they have refrained from naming anybody.

Obviously it's a different story with Twitter etc, I'm actually quite glad they can't enforce a blackout there. Although if you don't take Twitter rumours with a huge pinch of salt you're daft. Probably a rumour circulating that it was Mario Balotelli.

Like what? Not disagreeing, just can't think of what might have been said that could be damaging. Were the papers going to pull some random name out of a hat and claim it was them up there reciting Enoch Powell's rivers of blood or something?

It's perfectly conceivable person had a smart phone and was checking social media to see what was being said about them,something said in jest or innocence could push someone in a delicate state over the edge. Or maybe they'd feel there was no stepping down from it or going back if it was receiving media attention.

Also do we want to live in a world where people find out their loved ones are caught up in such things on the internet? In any circumstance names or specifics aren't generally released before family can be notified.
    God help that persons family tonight. Wouldn't be easy to see someone you love so distressed and have it happen so publicly.

Maybe I'm just adorably naive but I wouldn't have thought the newspapers would go ahead and run stories with unconfirmed names etc. Even now that the blackout has been lifted they have refrained from naming anybody.

Nah, I don't think it would be like that, with papers printing names and the like; but definitely running with vague, unconfirmed updates, which in turn could lead to wild speculation from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I happened to be walking by there yesterday evening...what is with all the rubberneckers? It was sickening to see cars pull up all over the place, drivers hop out go over gawking at the scene, you'd swear the cops were giving out free money with the urgency the rubberneckers were descending on the scene...what are they hoping to see? a shoot out? someone in pain? maybe catch a glimpse of someone in distress?

I know its the same all over the world but it still makes me sick.

/End of rant

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Sconsey wrote: »
    I happened to be walking by there yesterday evening...what is with all the rubberneckers? It was sickening to see cars pull up all over the place, drivers hop out go over gawking at the scene, you'd swear the cops were giving out free money with the urgency the rubberneckers were descending on the scene...what are they hoping to see? a shoot out? someone in pain? maybe catch a glimpse of someone in distress?

/End of rant

True. But whatever about the people who stopped to look, I thought the guy there with the large flash camera was disgusting (journalist perhaps??)
    Surprised that the gaurds didnt put a stop to him. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Shure look at all the rubberneckers here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's perfectly conceivable person had a smart phone and was checking social media to see what was being said about them,something said in jest or innocence could push someone in a delicate state over the edge. Or maybe they'd feel there was no stepping down from it or going back if it was receiving media attention.

Media in Ireland regularly run stories with lines like "... named locally as Paddy O'What'sIt" - which means that the name has not been officially released.

I was horribied when I first heard it .. what if Paddy's niece in Canada sees it on the internet first, etc.

And we have no idea why the guards asked for a media blackout: it's not inconceivable that the guiy had Facebook on his phone with him ...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 jcro

/End of rant

Over a hundred people live in that app block. They were not allowed access to their homes after returning in their cars from work. . Thus people waiting outside on the street. Thus cars on pavements!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

/End of rant

Couldn't agree more hate this kind of thing. I was as curious as anyone about what was happening but refused point blank when asked by someone to go down and have a look.
    jcro wrote: »
    Over a hundred people live in that app block. They were not allowed access to their homes after returning in their cars from work. . Thus people waiting outside on the street. Thus cars on pavements!

Yes while that is true, I would also suggest that a number of those there did not live in the immediate area and were only down for a gawk to see what was happening and get a bit of gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Why all the hate for rubbernecking? I think it's instinctive behaviour, probably related to the survival instinct.

I am curious as anyone but I don't think I have the rubber necking gene at all. If I come across something unpleasant happening, an accident, a situation like last night, even an argument on the street my instinct is to get as far away as I can as quickly as possible. I know there are lots of things I never want to be a direct witness of and I try to ensure I'm not. It's not a heartless response, it's just that I can often imagine searingly vividly what the people involved must be going through and I feel too awful for them.
    If I thought I could help I'd try my hardest to fight that instinct,I hope I'd step up, but I am afraid I hope a situation never happens where it's called for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't understand it really. If it looked like the dude was gonna jump, id be getting the hell out of there, that's the last thing I want to have burned into my memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

i wonder do the various businesses that posted images of this story all over facebook have questions to answer?

clearly this man was unwell but plastering his image all over facebook in relation to a scam may have lead to lastnites events.

im sure this post will be shot down but at the end of the day someones life was at stake if not others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

shot2go wrote: »
    hope he gets the help he needs.

it has been reported that it was linked to a scam in the city, i do feel it was wrong that one business named him along with his photo on facebook :(

Don't get that attitude at all. I think it was wrong that he stole money from honest business

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Shane St. wrote: »
    Don't get that attitude at all. I think it was wrong that he stole money from honest business

It hasn't been proven that he stole money. It hasn't been proven that he did anything. They basically decided to accuse him in public along with a photograph. That could be called defamation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Was it actually the business that named him or people in the comments?

All I saw was a cctv still of a man.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement