Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salthill Incident

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Laviski wrote: »
    and that is a matter for the gardai if the allegations are true.
    naming him is one thing but posting his location and where he drinks is just not on. even before if any prosecutions can come before the courts. He's being treated like a pedophile. Like i said you don't know the circumstances.

I agree completely that publicly stating where he drinks etc. is out of order. There's no need for that really. But I do believe he was right to be named and his picture shared. Do you really think Griffin's would risk libel, data protection breaches etc. if they were not absolutely sure? I don't believe they're that stupid. I'd believe a reputable Galway institution who's argument was backed up by other businesses before I'd believe this man.

As for the highlighted part, I don't understand. He's being treated as a criminal, which he is. Scam artist, paedophile, murderer, rapist, whatever. I'd want them all named and shamed to make the general public, and in this case businesses aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

just roll out the pitch forks and torches already....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Griffins releasing his information is no different to say the person or people who released the anglo tapes. There was no cry against those whistleblowers so why the outrage against griffins.

If you deem griffins to be in the wrong, then you should also protest against the anglo whistleblowers for releasing information into the public which could prejudice an investigation and likewise for the Gardai whistleblowers who released information about the the penalty points corruption which also could prejudice an investigation

Laviski, can i ask your opinion of the anglo and gardai whistleblowers? Were they right or wrong in your opinion? In case you argue they are unrelated topics, at a superficial level that is true but beneath the surface the principals are the very same and this discussion is essentially one based on principal as we are essentially discussing crime and the morality of publically revealing crime and criminals locally.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

antoobrien wrote: »
    Slander & defamation - wasn't there a complaint made to the the gardaí over this? If so and it's false it's wasting garda time and making false statements. Slander & defamation would be the least of their worries.

Data protection - don't make me laugh, there is no right to privacy for things that occur in public.
    Naomi Campbell and the Royals from Monaco may disagree. If we're talking about information that may have been obtained unlawfully, we're into Anne Herrity territory.
    antoobrien wrote: »
    If a person was to take their clothes off and run down shop street in the nip, they'd have no right not to be identified and couldn't exactly complain about the publication of any pictures/videos. So if the business wants to know who one is after one enters their premises, then the business has every right to find out the person is regardless of whether is taking the tip/charity jar or leaving a €50 note in it.
    Depends on how the data is collected, it's intended uses, the level of notice given to the subjects and that's before we get into the issues of publication, moderation (the Betfair defence) and speculation as to the intent of the publication.

There's an exam question in this for any law lecturer who's setting a paper soon.

Protip: Slander hasn't been "a thing" since the enactment of the Defamation Act (2009). Also libel. And the test isn't truth, it's whether the statement "tends to injure a person's reputation in the eyes of reasonable members of society". Truth is a defence, a good one but not unassailable.

Now resume your barstool lawyerin', **** be complex yo...

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Norma_Desmond

If you were the one named by the bakery as being the scam artist doing an illegal act (which by the way I don't think they were wrong to do, can't let someone get away with stealing!) sure you would be annoyed but would you stand on a roof top threating to set yourself on fire or would you try and prove your innocence?
    IMO his acts were the desperate acts of somebody who knew they were caught and were going to be punished for a crime, not the actions of an innocent person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok, since this thread now has taken over from the other one as to speculation and general not-so-niceness I am closing it before it goes too far.
    There two sides to every story and we will probably hear more about it in the papers and pubs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement