Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance not accepted & moving advice

Options
  • 19-02-2014 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

My contract is up in July. We are renting a house (cork) thats been up for sale 18 months but there has been a v big jump in viewings so its likely to sell by time our contract is up. My husband lost his job so we have been on rent allowance. I have been looking on daft & in my town there are about 10 places to let in any given time. None of them take rent allowance & at the moment there is a 1 bed granny flat for 700 euro (our max limit is 725 set by cwo). We have excellent references & have always paid our rent by direct debit regardless of when we get rent allowance but this doesnt seem to be taken into consideration. Our LL had to sign one form for the cwo & that was it. I am trying to prepare for the summer when we will most likely have to move. We have 2 small children (1 in school).
    What happens if when the time comes we cannot find a place taking RA? Is it the RA thats not accepted or is it also those who are unemployed not accepted? We are on the co council waiting list for social housing 4 years but I cannot find any information on waiting times in my town.
    I'm very stressed thinking of where are we going to live. If it comes to it we would rent using the unemployment benefit money but would LL accept that? We'd have about 150 euro left for the 4 of us to live on (2 kids have dairy & wheat allergies so myself & hubby prob have to survive on 20c noodles!). At the moment we dont have any money we can even put to one side but our car is worth about 1k so we could sell it & save the 20 euro petrol & hope we dont need to leave the town for anything. My husband is applying for work but having no luck unfortunately, any of the jobsbridge ones he's applied for are filled already when he rings, so disheartening.
    Ive tried ringing the council & leaving messages for someone to ring me so I can try & get info but no luck so far. Would appreciate any advice (if any)
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, if it comes to it, approach VdP for help with food. You may not want to, but if you aren't eating at least moderately well you will get sick and that will make things far worse.

Some LL's will accept RA but advertise that they won't - try selling yourself to them first and then asking about it later.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

OP my heart goes out you. I felt so sad reading your story.
    I was in a similar situation and I know how frustrating it is to find a place that accepts Rent Allowance.

Have you discussed the possibility of going on the RAS scheme with the Council?
    It's not for everyone but it might be a solution to your problems and you'd have a long-term secure home, be able to work without worrying about losing your home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

the landlord should not be showing it while you are living there

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

if you dont leave he has to go to court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

you're giving the OP advice that isnt going to help their situation, the house is being sold, which the landlord can do. Its halfway down on the terminating a tenancy section.
    Also suggesting they allow things go to court to be evicted wont help either.
    I sympathise with them, but your limited advice doesnt really help them , only prolongs their difficult situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

fussyonion wrote: »
    OP my heart goes out you. I felt so sad reading your story.
    I was in a similar situation and I know how frustrating it is to find a place that accepts Rent Allowance.

Have you discussed the possibility of going on the RAS scheme with the Council?
    It's not for everyone but it might be a solution to your problems and you'd have a long-term secure home, be able to work without worrying about losing your home.

Thanks for kind words. Regarding RAS would I have to find a property in my area or would the council?
    If no LL in my area even accept rent allowance I would be surprised if there was LL on the RAS scheme.
    There's about 13000 people living in my town & at the moment 11 properties to let. No shortage of renters so no need for LL to go on RAS. Average rent in area is 850/900 a month for 2/3 bed house, 1 bed apt is about 700. We were already renting this house when we had to go on RA so LL v kindly accepted it as he knew us well at that stage & knows we are reliable. He has offered to ring future LL & agents when we have to really start finding a new place to live so we appreciate that

• Advertisement

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    Thanks for kind words. Regarding RAS would I have to find a property in my area or would the council?
    If no LL in my area even accept rent allowance I would be surprised if there was LL on the RAS scheme.
    There's about 13000 people living in my town & at the moment 11 properties to let. No shortage of renters so no need for LL to go on RAS. Average rent in area is 850/900 a month for 2/3 bed house, 1 bed apt is about 700. We were already renting this house when we had to go on RA so LL v kindly accepted it as he knew us well at that stage & knows we are reliable. He has offered to ring future LL & agents when we have to really start finding a new place to live so we appreciate that

You would firstly tell the Council you are interested in the RAS scheme and once they agree (which they usually do no problem), you then go and look for a property of your choice, suitable for your needs.

You ask the LL if he wants to do the scheme; if he agrees, you pass his details onto the Council. Council will then call him and explain the scheme.
    If everyone agrees, you'd be in a long lease, minimum of 5 years and the Council pay the LL the rent directly, every month, with you paying 10% of your income to the Council.

The RAS scheme can be a good thing for LL's who want a long-term tenant and guaranteed rent every month, and it's peace of mind and security for the tenant, having a home for a guaranteed time.

You can also return to employment on this scheme, too.

You would firstly tell the Council you are interested in the RAS scheme and once they agree (which they usually do no problem), you then go and look for a property of your choice, suitable for your needs.

You ask the LL if he wants to do the scheme; if he agrees, you pass his details onto the Council. Council will then call him and explain the scheme.
    If everyone agrees, you'd be in a long lease, minimum of 5 years and the Council pay the LL the rent directly, every month, with you paying 10% of your income to the Council.

The RAS scheme can be a good thing for LL's who want a long-term tenant and guaranteed rent every month, and it's peace of mind and security for the tenant, having a home for a guaranteed time.

You can also return to employment on this scheme, too.

our monthly income on sw is about 1400 per month so if rent is 900 we'd pay 140 euro & council would pay 760? Seems v high amount for council to pay. So would it be me contacting LL or the council?

Also, I managed to speak to someone today who said the number for my area waiting is in the thousands. The whole number for county cork is 4500 waiting so I'm shocked that thousands of those have put my town as the first option. It doesnt make sense. Would it be worth my while going to my local td? How can they help?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Also, I managed to speak to someone today who said the number for my area waiting is in the thousands. The whole number for county cork is 4500 waiting so I'm shocked that thousands of those have put my town as the first option. It doesnt make sense. Would it be worth my while going to my local td? How can they help?

Sorry to hear about your current housing situation as it stands theres roughly 100,000 country wide waiting on housing lists the average wait is around 7/8 years at the moment ,a lot of councils are looking to have private housing association's to take over the majority of social housing lists in the future
    You could try your local TD's but your not guaranteed anything from them either ,
    You may have to cast your net further afield while searching for a house on RA or other

Gatling wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your current housing situation as it stands theres roughly 100,000 country wide waiting on housing lists the average wait is around 7/8 years at the moment ,a lot of councils are looking to have private housing association's to take over the majority of social housing lists in the future
    You could try your local TD's but your not guaranteed anything from them either ,
    You may have to cast your net further afield while searching for a house on RA or other
    How do mean mean cast your net further a field? Move to another town is it?
    The next town to ours is douglas (we live in carrigaline) where rent is much higher than where we are. We would then have to drive to this town everyday for my sons school (he goes to an Educate Together school due to our religious beliefs) so would cost a fortune on petrol

• Advertisement

How do mean mean cast your net further a field? Move to another town is it

It may be an idea

I know it sounds ridiculous and harsh but it might be worth thinking about ,

Were in the same situation our landlord isn't renewing our lease which is up in June as he's moving back in were gone from sticking with Dublin searches to looking as far as Kildare and further due to cheaper rents ,

It may be an idea

I know it sounds ridiculous and harsh but it might be worth thinking about ,

Were in the same situation our landlord isn't renewing our lease which is up in June as he's moving back in were gone from sticking with Dublin searches to looking as far as Kildare and further due to cheaper rents ,

I cant see any benefit to us moving towns because the one we live in hasnt the highest level of rents for a start.
    My son goes to school here & there are only 4 of these schools in cork plus he is waiting a psychological assessment so moving would have a massive negative impact on him. He's already moved 6 times in 5 years due to us renting. He asks us why we have no home etc.

Has anyone any experience of cluid or respond housing?
    They have houses in carrigaline. Do they operate the same way as a council house in that you can stay for life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

How do mean mean cast your net further a field? Move to another town is it?
    The next town to ours is douglas (we live in carrigaline) where rent is much higher than where we are. We would then have to drive to this town everyday for my sons school (he goes to an Educate Together school due to our religious beliefs) so would cost a fortune on petrol

I dont understand this? isnt educate together multi or non denominational?
    If I recal correctly, I was told they teach about different beliefs but I believe any additional religious teachings or ceremonys have to be catered for by the family? and why would going to any school affect anyones educational beliefs, I attended national school a long time ago, there were a few non RC students and as I recal, they simply didnt attend the set religious curriculum.

I can see your situation is difficult and why you would want to keep your child in the same school, and that commuting is a needles expense and time consuming. But if rents are cheaper in an area with limited vacant lettings and there is a large waiting list, then getting a property in that area seems like it could be very difficult. It does look like the best option would be to look elsewhere.
    I'd recommend contacting elected representatives, so in the least they are made aware how pressing the situation is, but I cant see how they can make a house or housing available? if a list exists, it suggests jumping others in it.

I think it is completely unfair and its hardly mentioned about waiting lists on housing, but the costs for landlords are increasing, many with limited means themselves, and up till recently the RA was being pushed to be continually reduced, and no credible alternative (thousands long waiting lists for years suggest not)provided by the govt or local authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Ok, but can your husband get a job elsewhere and commute, I understand not wanting to move the kids, but looking at your situation something will have to give.

cerastes wrote: »
    I dont understand this? isnt educate together multi or non denominational?
    If I recal correctly, I was told they teach about different beliefs but I believe any additional religious teachings or ceremonys have to be catered for by the family? and why would going to any school affect anyones educational beliefs, I attended national school a long time ago, there were a few non RC students and as I recal, they simply didnt attend the set religious curriculum.

I can see your situation is difficult and why you would want to keep your child in the same school, and that commuting is a needles expense and time consuming. But if rents are cheaper in an area with limited vacant lettings and there is a large waiting list, then getting a property in that area seems like it could be very difficult. It does look like the best option would be to look elsewhere.
    I'd recommend contacting elected representatives, so in the least they are made aware how pressing the situation is, but I cant see how they can make a house or housing available? if a list exists, it suggests jumping others in it.

I think it is completely unfair and its hardly mentioned about waiting lists on housing, but the costs for landlords are increasing, many with limited means themselves, and up till recently the RA was being pushed to be continually reduced, and no credible alternative (thousands long waiting lists for years suggest not)provided by the govt or local authorities.

I shouldve probably said non religious beliefs regarding my sons ET school. We would be classed as humanist & the ethos of educate together is everyone is equal & included. If my son attended a catholic school he would have to leave class for morning prayer, lunch prayer & end of day prayer. This would have a very negative impact on him especially the type of child he is (extremely sensitive & waiting to be assessed by psychologist for possible depression) so it was either an educate together school or homeschool.

The Spider wrote: »
    Ok, but can your husband get a job elsewhere and commute, I understand not wanting to move the kids, but looking at your situation something will have to give.

My husband lost his job. He is not having any luck even with jobsbridge! He has been applying for jobs in other countries, hates being out of work. Its not good for him mentally either as he doesnt want to be setting a bad example to our children. In an ideal world he would get a job & we could buy our own home eventually. Cluid seem to have a good set up where you can rent for life so I'm going to ring the council again tomorrow & ask about putting us forward if something comes up

Cluid seem to have a good set up where you can rent for life so I'm going to ring the council again tomorrow & ask about putting us forward if something comes up

Its basically you will have to tick a box on your housing application,
    But they cluid and other housing association pick who they want from the housing list ,basically its a lottery as like the rest of the housing list ,
    Its the same as a council house / apartment depending on housing stock and circumstances ,
    Your housed for life just with rent and charges associated depending on where your housed,
    Some estates you will have rent as standard then your bin charges again standard stuff and in some cases monthly maintenance fees for upkeep of communal areas

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jester_Himself

Myself and my wife are homeless. i sleep on a duvet in a utility room in my fathers house and my 7 month pregnant wife is sharing a single bed with our 3 year old daughter in her mothers. My assistance dog is in a kennels and has to be retrained,He has licked his 3 paws down to the bone (nearly to the bone). i am on disability allowance as i suffer bipolar and tourettes and because we are scattered in 3 places it costs a lot more. Nowhere accepts rent allowance and when they do they dont pick us. we are ideal tenants and have many referances. we were forced to move from last house as landlord sold house because he didnt want to replace our daughters mattress. It was covered in mould and as where her clothes. The window in her room was falling out of the frame. He has been in papers before for being a slum lord but still goes renting many properties. We the ideal tenant are being punished because of greed. We have been homeless the last 6 months and its near impossible to look on the brightside.Nobody cares, people will say such a shame but no one cares.
    I am taking jacob (dog) out of kennels today as its hard for me but my daughter wakes up crying looking for him wondering why he isnt there. And because i have nowhere to put him i will be sleeping in a park because that way we are havlf back together again.

Myself and my wife are homeless. i sleep on a duvet in a utility room in my fathers house and my 7 month pregnant wife is sharing a single bed with our 3 year old daughter in her mothers. My assistance dog is in a kennels and has to be retrained,He has licked his 3 paws down to the bone (nearly to the bone). i am on disability allowance as i suffer bipolar and tourettes and because we are scattered in 3 places it costs a lot more. Nowhere accepts rent allowance and when they do they dont pick us. we are ideal tenants and have many referances. we were forced to move from last house as landlord sold house because he didnt want to replace our daughters mattress. It was covered in mould and as where her clothes. The window in her room was falling out of the frame. He has been in papers before for being a slum lord but still goes renting many properties. We the ideal tenant are being punished because of greed. We have been homeless the last 6 months and its near impossible to look on the brightside.Nobody cares, people will say such a shame but no one cares.
    I am taking jacob (dog) out of kennels today as its hard for me but my daughter wakes up crying looking for him wondering why he isnt there. And because i have nowhere to put him i will be sleeping in a park because that way we are havlf back together again.

Have you contacted the Council regarding your position on the Housing List?
    Do they know you're effectively homeless?

Sharing a bed with a three-year-old is not right for your pregnant wife and what's going to happen when the baby is born?

You need to contact the Council and explain your situation.
    Unfortunately, Rent Allowance does get a bad name but it is a bad set-up for everyone involved; nobody gains from it.

Can you discuss the RAS/ASH scheme with the Council?
    More and more people are being offered it as an alternative to lengthy waiting times for a Council home.

Have been to the council and with no surprise there is an actual waiting list to be homeless. 2 years we would have to wait to be put into a shelter.. We were offered a place in a drugs unit in some hospital. TDs said they would help and to no avail. Cant apply for a 3 bedroom counsil house as baby isnt born yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Have you considered moving to a different area where there is more available property?

Have been to the council and with no surprise there is an actual waiting list to be homeless. 2 years we would have to wait to be put into a shelter.. We were offered a place in a drugs unit in some hospital. TDs said they would help and to no avail. Cant apply for a 3 bedroom counsil house as baby isnt born yet

Yes but has the RAS scheme being offered?
    Are you aware of it?

Yes but has the RAS scheme being offered?
    Are you aware of it?

You have to ask to go on to the scheme after 18 months on the list ,

Op are you currently on the housing list ??

Have you tried you local homeless unit for advice they may be able to help ,
    Because your not technically homeless ie you have somewhere to a stay as do your family they might not prioritise you,

Also ask about emergency accommodation ,

And on your wife's next hospital appointment ask to speak to a social worker they may also be able to help ,

Dont make your self homeless seriously I've been there and it's not worth on you or your family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Cant apply for a 3 bedroom counsil house as baby isnt born yet
    Why do you need a three bedroom house?

I have tried everything and been everywhere. including RAS

I have tried everything and been everywhere. including RAS

And what happened with RAS?

because we have 2 kids.. well a 3 year old girl and one on the way.. the baby that due in may is a boy

we are on the housing list the last 6 years. We can avail of RAS/ASH but nowhere will accept rent allowance even though we have referances from 100 houses in the last area we lived. perfect referances.I also read on the news today that the refusal of rent allowance will be made illegal

we are on the housing list the last 6 years. We can avail of RAS/ASH but nowhere will accept rent allowance even though we have referances from 100 houses in the last area we lived. perfect referances.I also read on the news today that the refusal of rent allowance will be made illegal

100 references from people or have you actually lived in 100 different properties,

Highly doubt they will make refusing rent supplement illegal it wouldn't make a difference all it would mean landlords would keep the rents above rent supplement rates ,

Why don't you's go for a 2 bed till you actually need a 3 bed in a few years

• Advertisement

100 references from people or have you actually lived in 100 different properties,

Highly doubt they will make refusing rent supplement illegal it wouldn't make a difference all it would mean landlords would keep the rents above rent supplement rates ,

Why don't you's go for a 2 bed till you actually need a 3 bed in a few years

No not 100 different properties. We lived in a house in lucan. the front garden was full of rats. so i dug the whole garden 30 ton of it and relawned it and put nice fancy flower beds in it, same as the house, we redecorated the whole house because full of mould, in total we put 6 grand within 2 years into the house. The referances are from people in the are that say we improved the house and the area because me and my wife use to clean the estate up. I helped out some elderly people by doing all types of things for them.
    And they already have rent allowance refusal being illegal in the 1st stage of getting passed in the Dail and Im aware that even if they made it legal that landlords will just up the price and we are looking for 1 2 and 3 bedroom houses.

Advertisement