Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance not accepted & moving advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No not 100 different properties. We lived in a house in lucan. the front garden was full of rats. so i dug the whole garden 30 ton of it and relawned it and put nice fancy flower beds in it, same as the house, we redecorated the whole house because full of mould, in total we put 6 grand within 2 years into the house. The referances are from people in the are that say we improved the house and the area because me and my wife use to clean the estate up. I helped out some elderly people by doing all types of things for them.
    And they already have rent allowance refusal being illegal in the 1st stage of getting passed in the Dail and Im aware that even if they made it legal that landlords will just up the price and we are looking for 1 2 and 3 bedroom houses.

There planning to scrap the rent supplement and give it to councils to run a new programme any way ,
    Also consider most rents have already cliamed past the maximum limits already set for rent supplement Already changing laws for a stupidly flawed system won't solve a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jester_Himself

They are also bringing it in to were all landlords have to have a licence to rentand if they dont have one then they cant let out their house.. I am aware that there are a lot of scum out there that just destroy properties. My mother is a landlord and a brutal one and she says she doesnt care who moves in as long as she gets rent and 4 years later she has only recieved 1 years rent because every tenant that lived there never paid rent and damaged the house and now she wont repair anything (And the reason i wont live there is because its not a nice area, we lived there once and had gangs of 20 outside every weekend always fighting and destroying the property. me and my wife and daughter had an evacuation plan because they even tried to break in a few times. In 6 months since we have been homeless we have had only 4 viewings. And we are not scroungers, i am on disability for bipolar,tourettes and bad nerves so im not good around people other than wife and daughter and some family members.. We could claim an extra 300 euro a week but i dont want to. i was given a bus pass and i still pay the fair because the way i see it is im given that money to get me around amongst other things so why have a pass (some people need the pass, but i dont) The point is i am not a scounge, My wife doesnt claim lone parents and we dont work into the hand and it just seems like those who do scrounge get a hell of a lot more respect....My cousin for example has 2 kids with one girl and one kid with another. They are claiming lone parents, he works 30 hours week and claims the dole, he is an alcoholic and a coke head and yet everyone in the family has a lot of respect for him weras i am the way i am because of my family and even 32 years later i still have no respect even though im probably one of the nicest people on the planet..i also do raffles for charities and get the prizes and tickets out of my money, I go to bakeries and buy so many muffins and hand them out all because i like to see people happy, A smile in the day is remembered for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

we are on the housing list the last 6 years. We can avail of RAS/ASH but nowhere will accept rent allowance even though we have referances from 100 houses in the last area we lived. perfect referances.I also read on the news today that the refusal of rent allowance will be made illegal

RAS is not Rent Allowance.

RAS would enable you to find a suitable property and the Council would pay the rent directly to the Landlord. You then pay 10% of your income to the Council.
    It will mean you will be removed from the Housing List but look at the positives; you'd have a long-term home, security and the opportunity to return to the workplace.

It has more pros than cons over Rent Allowance.

Yeah we have a letter that says we can have it, still no properties want it. when we get a place it will be heaven. my daughter keeps crying foro jacob the dog so im taking him out of the kennels tomorrow and just going to park the car in my fathers house and ill sleep with him in there, silly i know but it means we are half back together and she will be happy... so will we.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You are not acting responsibly by underclaiming €300 a week whilst your wife and child are homeless, or by wasting €6000 improving a rented house, or paying bus fares and buying muffins for strangers.

I think Gatling's suggestion of asking for a Social Worker to be assigned to your wife is a good one. As a family, you need support now, both before and after the baby is born.

• Advertisement

I save few euro a week and every 2 months i get a deal from a local baker and i do it that way. And we are afraid if we go to a social worker then the way our look is going our daughter will be taken of us. We are good parents but a series of unfortunate events took place. I do appreciate all responses to this

I save few euro a week and every 2 months i get a deal from a local baker and i do it that way. And we are afraid if we go to a social worker then the way our look is going our daughter will be taken of us. We are good parents but a series of unfortunate events took place. I do appreciate all responses to this

A social worker will help you and your family ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

because we have 2 kids.. well a 3 year old girl and one on the way.. the baby that due in may is a boy
    Still should be able to get by with two bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

No Pants wrote: »
    Still should be able to get by with two bedrooms.

I dont think he has a preference for 3 bedrooms, its the council who decide that. If you have 2 children they will only offer you a 3 bed. If you go into a 2 bed its deemed as over crowding for rent allowance & RAS as far as i know.
    I have 2 kids & would have no issue living in a 2 bed property but my rent allowance would be cut off & council have only approved me for a 3 bed house for social housing (still on list)

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    I dont think he has a preference for 3 bedrooms, its the council who decide that. If you have 2 children they will only offer you a 3 bed. If you go into a 2 bed its deemed as over crowding for rent allowance & RAS as far as i know.
    I have 2 kids & would have no issue living in a 2 bed property but my rent allowance would be cut off & council have only approved me for a 3 bed house for social housing (still on list)

Boy and a girl means they have to have separate rooms ,

We've two girls and have been repeatedly told we will only ever be offered two bed apartments,

Personally I find that unfair some people choosing to have more kids to guarantee 3 beds and a garden ,

Punish those in need ,reward those who make if a lifestyle choice to get a house and garden

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Gatling wrote: »
    Boy and a girl means they have to have separate rooms

Why?

Aren't these young children?

There's no reason why boys and girls can't share when they're young.

Why?

Its how they decided it was to be ,

Why?

Of course not, and its a common misconception that you are automatically offered a bedroom for each gender, I think there is a cut off point in the criteria (aged 10, I think, but stand to be corrected).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why?

Ya, but council tenancies are for life: young children become teens very quickly, not worth putting people in a house that will be inadequate in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why?

Because when they're given the house, they're expected to stay there. Weirdly enough, young kids don't stay young kids forever :P

the_syco wrote: »
    Because when they're given the house, they're expected to stay there. Weirdly enough, young kids don't stay young kids forever :P

No thats true ,

But they then grow up and move out leaving 1/2 having a 3-4 bed house to themselves,
    Which adds to the housing stock shortage ,

I think they should rework the system so that when your youngest child reaches a certain age and are financially able to support themselves the 3/4 bed houses should be swapped for 1-2 bed apartments

No thats true ,

But they then grow up and move out leaving 1/2 having a 3-4 bed house to themselves,

I think they should rework the system so that when your youngest child reaches a certain age and are financially able to support themselves the 3/4 bed houses should be swapped for 1-2 bed apartments

Like the spare bedroom tax in the UK?

http://www.housing.org.uk/policy/welfare-reform/bedroom-tax/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No thats true ,

I think so too.

I also think that income related rents should be applied all the way up to market rent.

But neither of these factors is law at the moment.

And that is why the council will only house families in houses that will be long-term suitable for them.

Its crazy i know. I would have no problem in 2 bedroom., we are also looking for one bedroom because you can turn the sitting room into a bedroom also. We just need to be all back together as its really frustrating now. We are good people and cant get anywhere but it seems that if you are a scumbag and cant provide references then you have the world as your oyster..
    Any landlord we see we explain our predicament and yet they say that's terrible, shocking and horrible but yet even with references from neighbors who are either gardai, Business men, solicitors and other government people they still go with the next one who are just moving because they can

Its crazy i know. I would have no problem in 2 bedroom., we are also looking for one bedroom because you can turn the sitting room into a bedroom also. We just need to be all back together as its really frustrating now. We are good people and cant get anywhere but it seems that if you are a scumbag and cant provide references then you have the world as your oyster..
    Any landlord we see we explain our predicament and yet they say that's terrible, shocking and horrible but yet even with references from neighbors who are either gardai, Business men, solicitors and other government people they still go with the next one who are just moving because they can

As much as i sympathise with your situation the issue with landlords is and its been stated on this forum many times there running a business not a charity ,
    Rent supplement has been cut 4 times in 4 years and willbe reduced regularly for the foreseeable future ,
    Now take a landlord who rents a house out to family who's sole income comes from social welfare which can be reduced with no notice ,now the house could be easily rented for say €700 pm suitable for rent allowence ,
    Now take a house on the same street rented to a family with 2 solid incomes and long term prospects and can pay €1400 pm in cash rent ,

Now if you were a landlord you gladly take a €700 hit or actually make enough money to pay your bills /mortgage /look after your family

Because if I was a landlord id put my families needs and financial security first and foremost

• Advertisement

Thats true, but if the rent is 950 which is what we are entitled to. And people who pay rent from their wages also have the risk of losing there job or just not paying it. There are a lot of bad tenants who do work for a living. I understand its a business not a charity but it can be both, They can say well these people really need a house and we need rent so lets give it to them.

Thats true, but if the rent is 950 which is what we are entitled to. And people who pay rent from their wages also have the risk of losing there job or just not paying it. There are a lot of bad tenants who do work for a living. I understand its a business not a charity but it can be both, They can say well these people really need a house and we need rent so lets give it to them.

Sorry but Landlords don't think like that and why should they?

Most Landlords rely on the rent they receive to pay their current mortgages or other things. They want the most rent they can get. Unfortunately for you, they don't think "Oh these people need a house, let's give it to them."

They're quite rightly going to lease the place to the person who can afford the rent, with no worries about allowances being reduced by the HSE.

It irritates me when Rent Allowance tenants heap the blame on the Landlord.
    I've seen it time and time again on this website "Why don't Landlords take Rent Allowance, it's not fair?"

If you don't find it fair, blame the people who came up with the RA system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Add to that the fact that the rent is not paid directly to the landlord and sometimes doesn't quite make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

The Govt has created this problem by not building enough social / council housing in the last 15+ years. Look at council tenants, they don't get the bad rap that Rent Allowance candidates do.
    IMO the Govt needs to investigate current housing needs and come up with innovative solutions. The current system is extremely flawed and unworkable with approx 2% of landlords on daft.ie accepting RA.
    It's only a matter of time before a crisis level is reached with families facing homelessness in Dublin with the way things are going. Families that slip though the net because they don't have 2k to stump up for a deposit and 1st months rent- if they can even find a property to rent in the 1st place.

zef wrote: »
    The Govt has created this problem by not building enough social / council housing in the last 15+ years. Look at council tenants, they don't get the bad rap that Rent Allowance candidates do.
    IMO the Govt needs to investigate current housing needs and come up with innovative solutions. The current system is extremely flawed and unworkable with approx 2% of landlords on daft.ie accepting RA.
    It's only a matter of time before a crisis level is reached with families facing homelessness in Dublin with the way things are going. Families that slip though the net because they don't have 2k to stump up for a deposit and 1st months rent- if they can even find a property to rent in the 1st place.

It's already at crisis point and nobody can deal /wants to deal with it ,
    For instance SDCC has over 9000+ on the current waiting lists ,this is the list were on over 7 years ,we were told by the CC to clear the current list it would take up to 40 years at the current rate of allocations ,Lucan/clondalkin would take double that to clear due to the ridiculous rate of roughly 12 allocations per year ,

Its now at the point local authorities want to hand the housing list to private housing associations/charities

It's already at crisis point and nobody can deal /wants to deal with it ,
    For instance SDCC has over 9000+
    on the current waiting lists ,this is the list were on over 7 years ,we were told by the CC to clear the current list it would take up to 40 years at the current rate of allocations ,Lucan/clondalkin would take double that to clear due to the ridiculous rate of roughly 12 allocations per year ,

Its now at the point local authorities want to hand the housing list to private housing associations/charities

It's 7500 according to the Tallaght Echo but your point is still valid.
    I heard SDCC is in talks with NAMA to release vacant properties and assign them to council housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

fussyonion wrote: »
    I heard SDCC is in talks with NAMA to release vacant properties and assign them to council housing.
    If the houses are finished, then they're probably not bought because they're not near any facilities. Although it seems a good idea, I'm worried it's a double edged knife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 rupert999

im a little off topic but what is RAS?and ASH...?taking notes here for a post i put up couple of days ago..also thanks for help GATLING on it

rupert999 wrote: »
    im a little off topic but what is RAS?and ASH...?taking notes here for a post i put up couple of days ago..also thanks for help GATLING on it

The RAS scheme is a scheme whereby you source a home suitable for your needs, i.e if you're on the Housing List for a one-bed apartment, the RAS property must also be one-bed.

You find a Landlord willing to sign up and explain that the Council will pay him/her negotiated rent in exchange for a long lease, minimum of five, up to ten.
    You would then pay the Council 10% your income.

After the five years, if the Landlord is happy to continue with you as tenants, he can renew the lease for another term.
    If he doesn't want to renew, the Council must find you a home similar to the one you were living in.

The Landlord will receive rent even if the property becomes vacant but as far as I know, it's the Council who decide who the tenants will be (if you move out).

The ASH scheme is basically the same scheme but the Landlord has a say in who rents his home.

Bear in mind, if you go on either scheme, your name is removed from the Housing List as it would be deemed you've been adequately housed.

It is beneficial for some people as it means they can return to the workplace; something Rent Allowance wouldn't allow you to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 rupert999

hope im not being nusisene again but what are their full titles? (RAS/ASH)

Advertisement