Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bank charges

Options
  • 19-02-2014 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I've bee surprised to discover that BoI has introduced a charge called " account maintenance" fee.

I've read in some other post that apparently it was widely advertised by BoI. I missed it but I would like to ask for a reference on BoI website to information on all BoI charges. I'm not able to find it.

Regards,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The BOI fees are in about a year - I left the BOI a year ago (after being with them for 25 years) over this matter

Move to PTSB for no fees (if you pay in 1500€ per month to your account)

Simples

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

PTSB are a business like all banks and they are out to make money. Their lending rates are draconian to make up for the lack of charges. Go overdrawn and you'll know all about it too 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Ally Dick wrote: »
    PTSB are a business like all banks and they are out to make money. Their lending rates are draconian to make up for the lack of charges. Go overdrawn and you'll know all about it too 
    Overdrafts free with BOI these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi martag, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to Boards.ie

You can view information on the Quarterly Maintenance Fee and other Personal Current Account fees and charges here

We're online from 8am - 5pm Mon - Fri so please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. 

Thanks

Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sean

dobsdave wrote: »
    Ally Dick wrote: »
    Hi dobsdave,

You'll find all you need to know about an Overdraft with Bank of Ireland here.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks

Seán

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

dobsdave wrote: »

Not free but cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fpryan

Hi martag, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to Boards.ie

You can view information on the Quarterly Maintenance Fee and other Personal Current Account fees and charges here

We're online from 8am - 5pm Mon - Fri so please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. 

Thanks

Billy
    Hi BOI

Background: I went from Free Banking to a set fee of €11.40 to a "fee per transaction".

The first bill was for over €30, I made it my mission to bring my fees in under the €11.40.

I was surprised to see that my next bill was for circa €19. I would have succeeded only that I got charged for when someone lodges to my account. Something that was out of my control.

Background to this, is that I collect money for a lotto syndicate and often I don't see some people for months, so it's easier for them to lodge money, but I am now incurring a cost of 20 cents. I have since resolved this issue by telling them "Cash Only". I still don't think it's fair that I should incur a cost that I have no real say in.

Can I give you a hypothetical situation. I qualify for free banking. I owe a friend €100, I have a falling out with this friend, I know my friends account number, so I add them as a payee (of which they have no say in) I then lodge 1 cent transaction, ten thousand times. That friend then incurs a cost of €2000 in fees. Not really fair, all he did was take a bite out of my Yorkie.

I just want to get across the point, that when I do something, I know I'm doing it, I know the cost, so thats fair. But for all I know, while I'm typing this, somebody somewhere could be lodging money to my account, and I just spent €0.20 and I don't even know it.

It's such a pity, I remember once using banking 365 to lodge €0.80 to a friends account for a packet of crisps, not anymore.

A safer cashless society has taken a big hit with these charges, back to big wallets full of cash, more muggings and pickpockets.

Shame, just a shame.  

Advertisement