Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revisiting N.W.A.

• 19-02-2014 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

To just look back on the album "Straight Outta Compton", it's crazy to think that the group got away with it. Almost everything on the album is socially unacceptable today, and considering that the album was released in '88 makes it even more astonishing. This paved the way for artists like Eminem to follow, and almost single handedly formed the "gangster rap" genre. It's crazy however to think that all the recognition goes to Ice Cube simply as he went solo. Not nearly enough credit was given to the group, especially DJ Yella and MC Ren. Ren wrote most of the songs with Ice Cube, and DJ Yella produced more beats then Dre. Looking back overall however their music still gives me a thrill and a large adreniline rush, and it's a shame that the group could't have stayed together for longer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

I prefer niggaz4life over str8 outta, but no doubt they were well ahead of their time never forget the first time I heard it real l.a gangsta rap,timeless!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Odd that Eazy-E isnt mentioned in the OP. He was the one that 'got' the group together, was the one that 'got' them studio time, 'got' them radio play, 'got' them a label.

And the reason I have the word got in quotes above is because this was not gotten by normal conventrional means. Mostly with threats and brandishing weapons.

E is alos the one that got Cube to write the gangster lyrics.....and get him to forget about academics. And he also got them tied into dreadful contracts.

If you look/listen to Dre pre N.W.A., you see something completely different and Dre had pretty much an over-night make-over.

Cube enjoyed the success, but after some time, he realised he could do everything by himself except the production which is why he distanced himself from the group.

The problem with the likes of Ren and Yella is that they didn't have enough direction have the group disbanded. Ren has released some excellent material, but he went waaaay to dark on some tracks.

Love thier albums and I still get excited listening to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Great albums, my first foray into rap music actually, for whatever reason NWA caught my attention first, probably the name stood out along with songs like **** the Police, Straight Outta Compton, Dope Man etc

Im gonna listen to some of their stuff now in fact!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Straight Outta Compton was one of the first tapes I ever bought. That's right, cassette tape!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

NWA Legacy vol 1 was the first hip hop album I ever owned, odd album to start with but it was handed down to me, got me into ice cube mostly to be honest, never took to Dre or Eazy, whereas Cube has been my favourite rapper since I heard it was a good day when I was 7 :D

• Advertisement

Just going to leave this Ice Cube track here.....I'm gonna bet that there are some people that have never heard this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

fiachr_a wrote: »

Myself and a mate used to be in stitches laughing about that track :)

Is that not just an Arabian Prince song?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Just going to leave this Ice Cube track here.....I'm gonna bet that there are some people that have never heard this.

Love that song :) Wonderfully bitter!

Am I to assume you wouldnt have liked any NWA stuff though?

Edit: Just thinking about it, no way that song would be accepted today with the racist/anti semetic tones it

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Love that song :) Wonderfully bitter!

Am I to assume you wouldnt have liked any NWA stuff though?

Edit: Just thinking about it, no way that song would be accepted today with the racist/anti semetic tones it

Growing up I was a massive NWA fan, love their albums. Its only in recent years that I've seen how the group got together and the inner troubles. I guess it's helped e understand their music, but there is a small bitter taste. Bit still love listening to them

The manufactured part?

I think I get where you are coming from, but they made some great music that I still listen to today :) so fond memories overall

Not really the manufactured part, more how they just bullied everyone around them and the stories of how Eazy apparently had people at gunpoint to do things for him. Then locking the artists into a terrible deal as well is not so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I bought Straight Outta Compton on vinyl from the Sound Cellar in January 1989.
    25 years later it's still my favourite ever hip hop LP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Quality....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The problem with the likes of Ren and Yella is that they didn't have enough direction have the group disbanded. Ren has released some excellent material, but he went waaaay to dark on some tracks.
    On this, I remember the first time I heard "Hello" and thought that Ren curses on pretty much every line while Cube and Dre can get their point across without it.

Advertisement