Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray cat moved in, what to do?

• 19-02-2014 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭

About a month ago a cat started running through our place, onto the back lawn on into the field behind us. Didn't take much notice.
    Last week it started to stay around the yard, so just being kind I gave it some food and water. Now she has adopted us as her new family.
    She is very friendly, very tame and playful, looked in good condition and very eager to come into the house. Not happening on my watch.

Thing is I am not a cat lover but don't mind if it stays in the garage, she is very clean and goes up the field to toilet. I live in a very rural area, asked neighbours if anyone is missing a cat, seemingly no one!

So what do I do with it now, she can stay but what does she need, doses of some sort, flea & tick repellents etc. I haven't a clue.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

For most of her needs, you are doing just great already. Well done for offering her shelter, food and water. However there is one rather important thing you can do, which is get her neutered :) It's absolutely brilliant that she is tame and friendly, as this means you can just pop her in a carrier - you should be able to borrow one from your local vet clinic if you don't own one - bring her in for the neuter, and if you could allow her in the house for just a day or so afterwards, that would be extra helpful, as it isn't too nice recovering from an anaesthetic and spay in the great outdoors. She should adjust to that very well, if she is as friendly as you say.

A vaccination course would also be a very good idea: this would need 2 vet visits, as it needs an initial jab and a booster. All of this would leave you with the lovely cat you have hanging about now, remaining healthy, and not inundating you with kittens, who would all need these treatments in the future, most likely in addition to a lot of work put in to make sure they ended up tame and easy to treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

ferretone wrote: »
    For most of her needs, you are doing just great already. Well done for offering her shelter, food and water. However there is one rather important thing you can do, which is get her neutered :) It's absolutely brilliant that she is tame and friendly, as this means you can just pop her in a carrier - you should be able to borrow one from your local vet clinic if you don't own one - bring her in for the neuter, and if you could allow her in the house for just a day or so afterwards, that would be extra helpful, as it isn't too nice recovering from an anaesthetic and spay in the great outdoors. She should adjust to that very well, if she is as friendly as you say.

A vaccination course would also be a very good idea: this would need 2 vet visits, as it needs an initial jab and a booster. All of this would leave you with the lovely cat you have hanging about now, remaining healthy, and not inundating you with kittens, who would all need these treatments in the future, most likely in addition to a lot of work put in to make sure they ended up tame and easy to treat!

Thanks very much, I checked and she is a she, so that was one of my thoughts, to get her neutered. Will make appointment with vet. The thoughts of fleas or worms freak me out so I really need to get that sorted, but she seems very clean and just so friendly.

Job for today so to get onto vet, thank you again!!

Just an update, took it to vet to get checked out. Was told she was already neutered, got her wormed and the flea oil for her. Kids finally decided on a name for her “Daisy" as she was playing with them on the lawn the other day.

Guess what happened today, I was at a neighbours house about a mile away, saw a cat the exact same as Daisy, mentioned that I had a stray cat wander in and she tells me she has been missing a cat for the past month. So I took her home today, actually miss the little thing around the place now.

Ah well she is home safe and was well minded...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

Just an update, took it to vet to get checked out. Was told she was already neutered, got her wormed and the flea oil for her. Kids finally decided on a name for her “Daisy" as she was playing with them on the lawn the other day.

Guess what happened today, I was at a neighbours house about a mile away, saw a cat the exact same as Daisy, mentioned that I had a stray cat wander in and she tells me she has been missing a cat for the past month. So I took her home today, actually miss the little thing around the place now.

Ah well she is home safe and was well minded...........

well done you I love happy endings :D

cats are infectious they grow on you they each have their own little personalities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

OP, well done for taking such good temporary care of her, and I too love the happy ending :D
    Now that you have discovered that you miss Daisy, and your children enjoyed having a cat, maybe you can consider going to your local rescue and rehoming a cat?!? Think of all the positives - no mice/rats! your children having a lovely time with a pet! Giving an animal a happy life! Win win!

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    OP, well done for taking such good temporary care of her, and I too love the happy ending :D
    Now that you have discovered that you miss Daisy, and your children enjoyed having a cat, maybe you can consider going to your local rescue and rehoming a cat?!? Think of all the positives - no mice/rats! your children having a lovely time with a pet! Giving an animal a happy life! Win win!

I was waiting to see how long it would take for such a post to appear :D:D

brilliant suggestion now you have the bug

I wasn't a big cat fan until our fella arrived in the engine of my wifes car 4 years ago as I type he has his arse stuck im my face looking for attention

I am thinking of getting one now as she was no bother to mind. Spoke with neighbour at school this morning and she said “sprinkle" (real name) was unsettled last night. She left her out this morning and she disappeared but came back after an hour.

Will give it a week and see if she appears here again, neighbour said I can have her if she returns.

My husband is delighted as he is a cat person and I am a dog person, but I do miss her......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I used to HATE cats. No real reason. I just thought they were sly and I hated being near them. Fast forward x number of years and we have adopted 4 cats (1 is still a kitten). Have 2 dogs also (and a Goldfish). Cats really do have their own personalities. Nothing nicer now then lying on the sofa and having one of the cats asleep on my chest purring away. So relaxing

gazzer wrote: »
    I used to HATE cats. No real reason. I just thought they were sly and I hated being near them. Fast forward x number of years and we have adopted 4 cats (1 is still a kitten). Have 2 dogs also (and a Goldfish). Cats really do have their own personalities. Nothing nicer now then lying on the sofa and having one of the cats asleep on my chest purring away. So relaxing

this statement could be a load of ould tripe but I seem to remember reading something about stroking a cat has been shown to lower blood pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I would not be surprised if she comes back to you again.

My mam has a cat that goes missing for months. We reckon it has a second home that it alternates between :)

The first time he went missing we were all worried. He was gone about a month. One day he jumped up on the window to be let in, and he was a fat monster. Like he was trapped in a cat food factory and had to eat his way out :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Thats great OP! If your ex-Daisy doesnt come back and you get to keep her, then rush straight out and rescue a poor homeless cat - think how GOOD you will feel - lovely cat of your own again AND one that you have rescued = Brownie-points big time :D

Looks like daisy is coming back to me. Met neighbours out on sat night and they said she hasn't settled at all, seems very scared of their little dog and nit happy. They said I can have her if I want.
    Going to leave it till next Saturday and see if she has settled any bit better, if not i will bring her back. Can't believe I'm excited about having her back!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Looks like daisy is coming back to me. Met neighbours out on sat night and they said she hasn't settled at all, seems very scared of their little dog and nit happy. They said I can have her if I want.
    Going to leave it till next Saturday and see if she has settled any bit better, if not i will bring her back. Can't believe I'm excited about having her back!!!
    It's true, cats really do choose their person:)

Well it looks as though daisy has gone AWOL, she only stayed with her owners for a few days. She was gone by the weekend.

I have waited a few weeks now and she hadn't appeared either to me or her own home. Really hope she has found a new home as I would hate to think that she has been killed by either animal of car.

Thought she might have appeared by now. Think I will be visiting the local rescue home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well it looks as though daisy has gone AWOL, she only stayed with her owners for a few days. She was gone by the weekend.

I have waited a few weeks now and she hadn't appeared either to me or her own home. Really hope she has found a new home as I would hate to think that she has been killed by either animal of car.

Thought she might have appeared by now. Think I will be visiting the local rescue home.

good for you! so much need...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madra_alainn

Aww hopefully Daisy will turn up soon. My partner was the same, he used to hate cats, til one strayed in and made great friends with the dog. Now he does be talking to the cat in a weird baby voice, spoiling her rotten with treats......the poor aul dog doesn't get a look in anymore! ;-)

must be the time of year...my feral is awol at present. his bed awaits him.

once fed a very wild feral for months, then he vanished in spring to return in late autumn. clearly went self catering.

beween lack of money, problems catching him and now broken bones he is still entire.

he is an extra to my other two free range rescues.

the boyo is back. a wee bit dirty and battered looking.and thinner but affectionate and very hungry.

he seems to have a big territory to patrol and defend. saw off one contender in fine style. wild country up here.

so he has had a huge feed and will sleep long now.

Advertisement