Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

sopretty wrote: »
    Well why is it live?

No idea...was just trying to save you the bother of trying to translate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Happyman42 wrote: »
    No idea...was just trying to save you the bother of trying to translate it :)

Lol. The poor brain is so exhausted trying to comprehend radar, satellite and navigational instruments in aviation these past few weeks, that a wee bit of translation would be music to the soul!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Lol. The poor brain is so exhausted trying to comprehend radar, satellite and navigational instruments in aviation these past few weeks, that a wee bit of translation would be music to the soul!

Main page here! It is working:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

This will see the end of Shatter and possibly this fake government....

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-03-29-22.16.21-e1396131592978.jpg

Shatter just couldn't help himself, his FFailesque arrogance will see him off....

And there's martin callinan ( civilian now!) Showing himself to be a hypocrite.

Complains about whistleblowers breaching data protection ( which I don't agree with either!) And doesn't like gardai leaking things to the media, and yet here he is, having breached data protection himself months ago ( telling shatter about Mick Wallace ) now he is leaking little stories to the press.

And people laugh at gardai being demoralised, is it any wonder when the head of the gardai acts like this?
    The sooner politics is taken away from the police the better.
    I think I'm even more disillusioned than the public at this stage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

bubblypop wrote: »

Complains about whistleblowers breaching data protection ( which I don't agree with either!) And doesn't like gardai leaking things to the media, and yet here he is, having breached data protection himself months ago ( telling shatter about Mick Wallace ) now he is leaking little stories to the press.

And people laugh at gardai being demoralised, is it any wonder when the head of the gardai acts like this?

Callinan is showing his true FF colours now. A political appointee by Dermot Ahern. Not to be trusted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

you're not alone :eek:

raymon wrote: »
    Callinan is showing his true FF colours now. A political appointee by Dermot Ahern. Not to be trusted.

Callinan was a bitch to his political masters, be they FFail or FG (not that there's any difference).

FG, under Kenny's instruction, shafted him.

Well maybe now that the public understand just how much politics is involved in the policing of the country, we might get some change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Callinan is dead right, he was shafted, why should he sit back and listen to the lies they are spouting to save their own necks. I've no doubt he could bring down this government and I hope he does. I think there might even be a backlash from senior officers who won't like the way he was treated. The government have opened a hornets nest. They won't survive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

Well maybe now that the public understand just how much politics is involved in the policing of the country, we might get some change.

I hope you're right but I'm not confident we will get the change that's needed.

fr3d12 wrote: »
    I hope you're right but I'm not confident we will get the change that's needed.

No, me either I'm afraid.
    Nothing ever changes in this country, different governments come and go but realistically they are all the same.
    Jobs for the boys

No, me either I'm afraid.
    Nothing ever changes in this country, different governments come and go but realistically they are all the same.
    Jobs for the boys

That's about the size of it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

Or this, from 2001... Commissioner Pat Byrne interviewed by The Independent, one year before the Morris Tribunal was created.
    "The perception of what went on in Donegal is, I think, more serious than the actuality of what happened. But at the same time it doesn't mean that I'm happy. I'm not at all happy.

I made a decision to transfer senior officers some of them very close friends of mine. I didn't do that lightly, I did that because I thought it was in the interest of the public, and the community up there in terms of its relationship with the gardaí.

And I didn't reach any conclusions in relation to the guilt or innocence of anybody. I didn't point the finger in anyway, which I couldn't and wouldn't."

And on the the purchase of his Ashbourne home from convicted killer Christy "Bud" Dwyer...
    ...But there was another surprise awaiting him, three newspapers phoned wanting to know about the purchase of his family home in Ashbourne, Co Meath in 1994, the previous owner had been a convicted killer Christy "Bud" Dwyer. The controversy certainly irked Byrne at the time."I didn't comment one way or another, I said if people wanted to talk to me they can talk to my solicitor." For once PR Pat was lost for words...

The coincidence that the story broke at the same time as Blue Flu did not go over the wily Commissioners head. At the time it was said he suspected criminals leaked the story, but I suggested it could have been members in his own force, a notion he does not discount.

"Well I think somebody slipped something along. But it wasn't even a secret, journalists had known about it. Anyway, there was enough written about it. I never said anything about it because I didn't want to give it any oxygen. It was much ado about nothing. I had absolutely no problems with it," he concludes.

...A better-paid police force, yes, a PR-friendly police force, definitely. But more accountable? Time will tell. In the meantime remember what the man said much ado about nothing.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/garda-commissioner-talks-about-forces-black-sheep-26249916.html

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2001/05/23/00009.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Like the other contributors, I'm not hopeful.

Interesting article from Bruce Arnold in the Independent, today.

It concerned the famous case when Michael Noonan as the new Minister for Justice in 1983 disclosed the 'bugging' of both BA and Geraldine Kennedy's phones.

The gist of his piece was that when the objective of discrediting FF had been accomplished, then nothing much happened after that and promised government reforms disappeared like snow on a summer's day...

• Advertisement

Gergiev wrote: »
    Like the other contributors, I'm not hopeful.

Interesting article from Bruce Arnold in the Independent, today.

It concerned the famous case when Michael Noonan as the new Minister for Justice in 1983 disclosed the 'bugging' of both BA and Geraldine Kennedy's phones.

The gist of his piece was that when the objective of discrediting FF had been accomplished, then nothing much happened after that and promised government reforms disappeared like snow on a summer's day...

Yes indeed , seems to be a common thread running though a lot of this.

In 2008 under Fianna Fails Dermot Ahern the bugging equipment was upgraded to a brand new digital system capable of storing terabytes of covert conversations.

I still havent seen a statement from him on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Anyone know about how the Assistant Commissioner and Deputy
    Commissioner levels are going to deal with this? Will there be a rumble in the command structure of AGS...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The papers say there are NO Deputy Commissioners around, positions vacant for some time past, and I don't know if the Govt policy of NOT filling some posts applies here. The Acting-Comm has "invited" all the Asst Comm's, Chief Supers and Supers to a meeting at Templemore this week about the controversy. I'd like to be there to see whether there will be mention of some more early retirements.

Meantime there's this from the Data Protection Comm in reference to the Wallace Dail leak by Mr Shatter: If found guilty of an offence under data protection law, Mr Shatter could face a €3,000 fine on summary conviction or €100,000 on conviction on indictment. Mr Wallace was unavailable yesterday, but he has described Mr Shatter's disclosure as "bizarre, politically motivated and a personal attack" which, he said, was a serious abuse of the minister's power and privilege.

I assume Alan will fight the case to avoid summary conviction, by way of another barrister and a solicitor, and try to avoid a full "indictment" court case which he might be obliged or forced to attend in person. I also assume such a case would be strung out 'til an "unbiased" hearing could be held for a judgement. I don't know what effect a conviction would have on his cabinet position.

One thing that may come out of this is that there yet may be the first full-time female Garda Commissioner, breaking the way for a similar appointment some time in the future in the other body in Alan Shatter's cabinet portfolio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

aloyisious wrote: »

Meantime there's this from the Data Protection Comm in reference to the Wallace Dail leak by Mr Shatter: If found guilty of an offence under data protection law, Mr Shatter could face a €3,000 fine on summary conviction or €100,000 on conviction on indictment. Mr Wallace was unavailable yesterday, but he has described Mr Shatter's disclosure as "bizarre, politically motivated and a personal attack" which, he said, was a serious abuse of the minister's power and privilege.

I assume Alan will fight the case to avoid summary conviction, by way of another barrister and a solicitor, and try to avoid a full "indictment" court case which he might be obliged or forced to attend in person. I also assume such a case would be strung out 'til an "unbiased" hearing could be held for a judgement. I don't know what effect a conviction would have on his cabinet position.

One thing that may come out of this is that there yet may be the first full-time female Garda Commissioner, breaking the way for a similar appointment some time in the future in the other body in Alan Shatter's cabinet portfolio.

Indo article is here

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shatter-could-face-fine-over-wallace-prime-time-leak-30138670.html

Interesting quote from the article

"We have received a complaint and in accordance with the obligations of the Data Protection Act we have been trying to achieve an amicable resolution of the complaint. If such an amicable resolution is not possible then I am obliged, under the Data Protection Act, to make a decision as to whether or not the Minister for Justice has broken the law," he said.

Can anyone tell me what the hell a amicable solution means, surely it's simply case of did he or didn't break the law

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Callinan is dead right, he was shafted, why should he sit back and listen to the lies they are spouting to save their own necks. I've no doubt he could bring down this government and I hope he does. I think there might even be a backlash from senior officers who won't like the way he was treated. The government have opened a hornets nest. They won't survive

I actually want this FG sham government to stay in place for another year or so.
    I want the people of Ireland to see how absolutely corrupt and incompetent this shower really are.
    Then we can send them back to their default position on the opposition benches, with the FFailures, for the next 20 years.

• Advertisement

rodento wrote: »
    Indo article is here

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shatter-could-face-fine-over-wallace-prime-time-leak-30138670.html

Interesting quote from the article

"We have received a complaint and in accordance with the obligations of the Data Protection Act we have been trying to achieve an amicable resolution of the complaint. If such an amicable resolution is not possible then I am obliged, under the Data Protection Act, to make a decision as to whether or not the Minister for Justice has broken the law," he said.

Can anyone tell me what the hell a amicable solution means, surely it's simply case of did he or didn't break the law

Amicable solution means trying to get Wallace to withdraw his complaint or admit he was aware Shatter was going to say what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭JRant

fr3d12 wrote: »
    Amicable solution means trying to get Wallace to withdraw his complaint or admit he was aware Shatter was going to say what he said.

Or also known as brushing it under the carpet.

Surely Shatter will not last the week at this rate. He's embroiled on all sides with controversy and everytime they think they've weathered one storm a bigger one comes along.

If he had any respect for the office he's sitting in he would have resigned weeks ago. The same goes for Enda who should have sacked him weeks ago if he refused to go. Both men putting personal and party loyalty above the good of the country.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

JRant wrote: »
    If he had any respect for the office he's sitting in he would have resigned weeks ago. The same goes for Enda who should have sacked him weeks ago if he refused to go. Both men putting personal and party loyalty above the good of the country.

"I'm Enda, and I'm the leader of this government, and I am putting my foot down, no more talking about this bleedin incident, ye hear me now lads, just stop talking about it!"

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    I actually want this FG sham government to stay in place for another year or so.
    I want the people of Ireland to see how absolutely corrupt and incompetent this shower really are.
    Then we can send them back to their default position on the opposition benches, with the FFailures, for the next 20 years.

Who would be your government of choice then.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

A bit of an overreaction perhaps? There are quite a few things that this government has done. Stableized the economy, got back our sovereignty, complied with the Troika and it's exit, aka helped save the economy/nation. This current thing with Shatter/Callinan and An Garda is as a result of something that was in place for years and linked to previous government. So FF may find egg on its face over this, more than the current government?

History dictates that it will be FG or FF or an amalgam of either with others, do who then without these would make up a government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    A bit of an overreaction perhaps? There are quite a few things that this government has done. Stableized the economy, got back our sovereignty, complied with the Troika and it's exit, aka helped save the economy/nation. This current thing with Shatter/Callinan and An Garda is as a result of something that was in place for years and linked to previous government. So FF may find egg on its face over this, more than the current government?

History dictates that it will be FG or FF or an amalgam of either with others, do who then without these would make up a government?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

rodento wrote: »

As Mr Hawkes explained, he is required when he receives a complaint to try to negotiate an amicable resolution between the parties, under the terms of the Data Protection Acts.

It doesn't mean there hasn't been a crime committed, just that it's not necessarily in the public interest that a prosecution be taken every time, say, he gets a complaint about spam text messages or emails.

In this case, I don't suppose such a resolution between Wallace and Shatter will be achievable. That means he will then go on to make a formal determination as to whether the law was broken by Shatter's revelation of confidential information about Wallace. If he finds that it was, he may or may not bring a prosecution against Shatter. (He's a prosecuting authority in his own right for offences under the Data Protection Acts - he doesn't have to refer this decision to the DPP.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just a reminder about what Shatter had to say about Willie O'Dea disclosing confidential information furnished to him by Gardai in his position of Minister of Defense -
    “What Minister O’Dea admitted yesterday is that he willingly and publicly discussed, for his own electoral gain, confidential information furnished to him by a member of An Garda Síochána. Such conduct is entirely unacceptable by any minister in any Government. Such conduct by a Minister for Defence, part of whose constitutional duty is to secure the security of the State, renders the Minster unfit for Cabinet office.

“No member of the gardaí, nor any member of the Defence Forces, can now in any way be assured that confidential information furnished to this minister will not be misused and be made public. The Ministers position is no longer defensible, and it is a sad reflection on the judgment of both the Taoiseach and the Green members of Government, that he remains in Cabinet"

Just a reminder about what Shatter had to say about Willie O'Dea disclosing confidential information furnished to him by Gardai in his position of Minister of Defense -

Maybe that's what one tends to say while in opposition...........

• Advertisement

Who would be your government of choice then.?

I'll be voting SF.

SF majority government maybe with the FFailures as our mudguard.

FG are not fit to hold office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

After reading this, I have to Wish our New Garda Commissioner O Sullivan the Best in her new position. Have been doing my research on her & no doubts she will be well able to bring about necessary changes if needs be.
    The Sunday Independent has also learned that interim Garda Commissioner Noirin O'Sullivan is to hold crisis summit talks at the Garda College in Templemore on Tuesday to debate the ongoing controversies.

I wonder though why the Garda College as oppose to Garda HQ for this - could be dynamics; could be location, middle-ground for those travelling; just has me wondering why Tipperary instead of Dublin - more secure perhaps?!
    Anywhoo, Crisis Summit Talks are long overdue for An Garda Síochána - lets hope they don't fall at this hurdle now! This is one massive chance to bring about renewed, fresh, optimistic much-needed PR for the force.

As for now Retired Commissioner Callinan - the work that he done to date in his career being over-shadowed by this furore is un-acceptable. Will anything ever be done about that, to reverse that I wonder?!

What is actually to emerge remains only days away now,
    Busy times ahead for the Garda PR-machine,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Maybe that's what one tends to say while in opposition...........

So you're saying it's ok to be a hypocrite in politics, because that's what everyone does?

So you're saying it's ok to be a hypocrite in politics, because that's what everyone does?

Turn on your sarcasm detector:)

Eh, no.

I was paraphrasing plump bunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,182 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

kerry4sam wrote: »
    After reading this, I have to Wish our New Garda Commissioner O Sullivan the Best in her new position. Have been doing my research on her & no doubts she will be well able to bring about necessary changes if needs be.

I wonder though why the Garda College as oppose to Garda HQ for this - could be dynamics; could be location, middle-ground for those travelling; just has me wondering why Tipperary instead of Dublin - more secure perhaps?!
    Anywhoo, Crisis Summit Talks are long overdue for An Garda Síochána - lets hope they don't fall at this hurdle now! This is one massive chance to bring about renewed, fresh, optimistic much-needed PR for the force.

As for now Retired Commissioner Callinan - the work that he done to date in his career being over-shadowed by this furore is un-acceptable. Will anything ever be done about that, to reverse that I wonder?!

kerry4sam

I was wondering about the way she arranged for the meeting, she's "invited" the others to it. I suppose that she is NOT assured the job is her's permanently and she is not going to ride rough-shod over them as she may well have to return to the stalls from the rostrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 tiredofthis

Sunday Indo reported today that Chief Superintendent Kevin Donohoe (head of Special Branch) has taken early retirement. One line in a major story on Callinan.

Does not seem to attract a lot of media interest.

I'll be voting SF.

Thanks Ned for disclosing your government preference.

You better watch your back - if you intend going into govt with FF !!

(and you may want to purchase a few calculators for the finance side of SF)

I'll be voting SF.

You have clarified who, other than FG and FF you would want as a Government. It's just not going to happen, ie a SF majority government, I may as well break the news to you now. SF May well get a share but will not be the main party.

• Advertisement

You have clarified who, other than FG and FF you would want as a Government. It's just not going to happen, ie a SF majority government, I may as well break the news to you now. SF May well get a share but will not be the main party.

It won't happen in the immediate future, I know that.

Eventually though, people will see beyond the FFail/FG axis of collusion that has continually screwed up this country.

Thanks Ned for disclosing your government preference.

You better watch your back - if you intend going into govt with FF !!

(and you may want to purchase a few calculators for the finance side of SF)

I've no problem disclosing my political allegiance.

I'm proud of the fact that I've seen through the lies and corruption of successive FFail/FG governments.

SF have a past history, I know all about that too.

I've no problem disclosing my political allegiance.

I'm proud of the fact that I've seen through the lies and corruption of successive FFail/FG governments.

SF have a past history, I know all about that too.

Me neither - I am very upfront about my politics

I do concede that Sinn Fein are improving and are making Fianna Fail look like whinging attention seekers. Well done Mary-lou.

However the "past" you speak of is not in the past.
    Didnt Sinn Fein organise a homecoming bash for John Downey a couple of weeks ago and abandon the plans when the media found out ?

Anyway - I dont want to get in the way of the good old Alan Shatter witch hunt.

Ready with the pitchforks everyone !! Lets pin something else that Fianna Fail did many years ago on Alan Shatter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g

I wouldn't be so sure.

I wouldn't be so sure.

I am sure. The reasons being that SF have history. There are a lot of skeletons in the cupboard. The public at large would not vote en masse for such a party, where it puts it's faith in the country going forward, the economy and this party to do the job. SF is still blinkered by many things and has a long way to go to prove it is up to the job of government.

I am sure. The reasons being that SF have history. There are a lot of skeletons in the cupboard. The public at large would not vote en masse for such a party, where it puts it's faith in the country going forward, the economy and this party to do the job. SF is still blinkered by many things and has a long way to go to prove it is up to the job of government.

Like FF and FG you mean? :pac:

• Advertisement

kerry4sam wrote: »

kerry4sam

Because a spring clean is always good at the end of term;)

I'll just leave this here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

The ST reports that it was John Wilson's brother Diarmuid Wilson, the FF Seanad Whip, who was with the whistleblower during his meeting with Judge X, who tried to get him to drop his allegations against a senior garda who wiped the penalty points of Judge Mary Devins (who is married to former FF TD Jimmy Devins)

Ah, if only we knew who Judge X was, we could check whether he has FF ties;)

Fascinated to see what way Diarmuid Wilson goes in the his-word-against-mine showdown --- blood thicker than water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The ST reports that it was John Wilson's brother Diarmuid Wilson, the FF Seanad Whip, who was with the whistleblower during his meeting with Judge X, who tried to get him to drop his allegations against a senior garda who wiped the penalty points of Judge Mary Devins (who is married to former FF TD Jimmy Devins)

Fascinated to see what way Diarmuid Wilson goes in the his-word-against-mine showdown --- blood thicker than water?

If it's the judge I'm thinking off...ties and cravats! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I think that the article in the ST mentioned the Judge saying to John Wilson that the senior Garda who the complaint was made against was a good FF'er. Seems safe to assume that the Judge perceived this to be a circle w@nk between FF'ers.

Going slightly off topic, I was listening to an RTE radio 1 interview during the week with a woman who was telling her story about being institutionally abused in the Magdelene laundries. I'm not aware of the full facts, as I only caught some of the broadcast. But the thing that caught my ear was the reaction of the RTE interviewer when she spoke about how she was beaten by the police in Coolock Garda station and physically thrown out of the station when she was enquring about her son. The interviewer went into panic mode and tried to distance RTE from her claims - cutting her off and saying that these were just allegations etc. Yet, he was quite happy to let her tell her story about the abuse she received by members of the church. Now, I have no doubt that she was telling the truth in all aspects of her story, but the reaction of the RTE interviewer was very interesting. The Gardai cannot be impugned. Gene Kerrigan hits this nail on the head in his latest opinion piece in the Indo. (The Indo seem to have realised the damage that was done by publishing the Paul Williams' nonsense articles).

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/gene-kerrigan/were-paying-price-of-blind-eye-politics-30138573.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement