Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Threes!

Options
  • 19-02-2014 1:57am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So I was sitting there, browsing the App Store and recalled hearing about this game Threes! that seemed to be garnering some high praise from certain reliable publications. They said something about it being addictive. Can't say the concept of the counting in multiples of threes on a four by four grid filled me with great confidence, but hey it was less than two euro. Let's give it a go, I said, confident it would be another Drop 7 (a game I admire more than I actually enjoy playing).

I can confidently state, after losing two hours straight to the damn thing, that is among the most addictive, artfully minimalistic puzzle games I've ever played. This is borderline Tetris territory - an incredibly easy to understand premise, but realised with depth, skill and slick design. It also features the most perfect soundtrack I could imagine (shoo in for 2014's best soundtrack, and it's only February).

Anyway, wholehearted recommendation here: this is a joyous game that's brilliantly, disgustingly infectious - and not in the semi-ironic and semi-accidental Flappy Bird way, but a genuine masterclass in simple and elegant design. Download it, but just be prepared to lose quite a few hours.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I'm an addict too. Fun puzzler

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Got it last night. Spent ages looking forward on the play store. (IOS only for now). But suffice to say I was still playing it two hours later. Incredibly addictive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Out on Android today, apparently! Prepare to lose a few dozen hours ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There are lots of clones (including two others called Threes! which are free). Here is the official one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=vo.threes.exclaim

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Played it on my friends iphone. Really like it.

Im considering not buying i in case I play it too much!

Edit: actually, if you want to try out the concept someone has made web version: http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/

• Advertisement

Grabbed it for my phone this morning (an 18 month old phone and running perfectly, despite the comments saying that it crashes all the time). It's taking all my willpower not to pick up my phone for 'one more game'. What an utterly charming and addictive game.

This is a great read - all of the emails between developers Asher and Greg from the start of Threes! development to a short time before release.

http://asherv.com/threes/threemails/

Even if you skim through it, it gives you an idea of how much work goes into the development of a game (and how frustrated they were that there were multiple clones a week or two later, many of them for free).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

192 is shamefully the best I have managed. Distinct lack of strategy doesn't help.

S'up, hi guys etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've made it to 768 once, has been a challenge to repeat though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,676 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Managed to get 7140 which involved getting two 192's and combining to get 384 and that adds a killer multiplier at the end which gave me 7140 top score! Beat that :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Haven't played it in a while now but below is my best, all because of the 384. Came close to dying so many times on that run. Had a look at the top scores in the world and they're hitting over a 100k. :eek:

Bi91J5UIcAA5SQL.jpg

27y3dl4.jpg

I saw someone playing 2048 when I was getting off the bus yesterday. I wanted to tap them on the shoulder and tell them they were playing the wrong damn game!

Advertisement