Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DDoyle

Options
  • 19-02-2014 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I just received an email from a darraghdoyle@gmail.... The name rang a bell so I googled it. Sure enough he works or worked for boards.ie. The email is an invitation to join a site called ''about.me''. Is this spam? Was my email obtained through boards.ie?

Thanks
    Rich
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

About.me spammed Darraghs account. He was pretty angry about the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Darragh Doyle used to work for Boards as a community manager. However he left the position in July 2011 and while he still has a personal account, he has not been involved with boards in an official capacity since that date.

As regards where he got your e-mail address, I'm afraid I can't say, but I do know that it wasn't from here. I can only speculate that you must have signed up to something else using that e-mail address. Boards takes data protection very seriously and would not make posters' e-mail addresses available to any third party without a court order. I also know that Darragh takes data protection very seriously and he would not compromise either himself or Boards by misusing e-mail addresses that he would have had access to while employed by the site.

Edit: Just seen Pappa Dolla's post. That explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

About.me spammed Darraghs account. He was pretty angry about the whole thing.

Grand. Thank you

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭darraghdoyle

Hello,

I just received an email from a darraghdoyle@gmail.... The name rang a bell so I googled it. Sure enough he works or worked for boards.ie. The email is an invitation to join a site called ''about.me''. Is this spam? Was my email obtained through boards.ie?

Thanks
    Rich

I am so sorry.

As others have said, no, your email address was not obtained via Boards.ie. Not knowing who you are I couldn't tell you how we might have interacted.

A week ago about.me launched a new invitation feature on their site, which I've been a member of for quite a while. I connected my account but without authorisation, about.me's system sent over 8,000 emails (!) to people in my name - without my permission or any prior notification.

I have been in touch with them to report this - I assume it's a bug of some sort - but was horrified that they sent another email last night, again, without my knowledge or permission.

I would just delete my account but I need to make sure that they have no email addresses relating to mine in their system and that they won't do this again.

I apologise profusely and can assure you I'm doing all I can to ensure they have no further access to my emails.

Thanks (and thanks Pappa Dolla / Niamh / Zaph)

Darragh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I didn't get one from you the first time it happened and I felt sad and rejected Darragh. However, I did get one last night and I then knew that you did love me after all :D

About.Me has now become the new LinkedIn of spamming your contacts it seems, poor form, I hope it gets sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I am so sorry.

As others have said, no, your email address was not obtained via Boards.ie. Not knowing who you are I couldn't tell you how we might have interacted.

A week ago about.me launched a new invitation feature on their site, which I've been a member of for quite a while. I connected my account but without authorisation, about.me's system sent over 8,000 emails (!) to people in my name - without my permission or any prior notification.

I have been in touch with them to report this - I assume it's a bug of some sort - but was horrified that they sent another email last night, again, without my knowledge or permission.

I would just delete my account but I need to make sure that they have no email addresses relating to mine in their system and that they won't do this again.

I apologise profusely and can assure you I'm doing all I can to ensure they have no further access to my emails.

Thanks (and thanks Pappa Dolla / Niamh / Zaph)

Darragh

There is a slight chance you contacted me during the time boards was hacked. I remember having to change my user name or something like that. Anyway no harm done and all well.
    Thanks for the reply Darragh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

That would all have been from our work (i.e. @boards.ie) email addresses though and Darragh's Boards account was deactivated some time ago and I can't imagine he was using that to sign up for about.me anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

fyi, Darragh connected with me via LinkedIn - I just assumed that this about.me whats-it was some how due to that, rather than due to boards.ie.

Advertisement