Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Obsessed with Perfect Design

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Sparks, defo worth a read? It sounds again, exactly what I'm looking for but some reviews aren't great.

Also, I remember 'doing' this on my college placement, I think it was SCRUM Goals of the day?

But I've got a whiteboard with goals in descending order, don't laugh but the top one (ye gotta aim high) is 'good games + $$$' then goes down to today's goal. I tab it open whenever I feel 'programmer pride' starting to set in and slow me down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What I've read of it so far is pretty good Jimmy, but since it's a compilation of thirty-odd different authors rather than one guy writing for several hundred pages, let me finish it before I tell you to buy it before you buy your copy of K&R or Pragmatic :D

As to the negative reviews on Amazon, one was saying this was not for a programmer to read but for a computer engineering researcher (to me, that translates to "I have no interest in ever improving my work or my tools and this book was too long to read" and I file that review in the bin), and one was complaining that the Kindle version wasn't well formatted (but the content of the book was fine). Contrast that with the positive reviews where you have Micheal Feathers saying it's one of the more important books in the last few years. Given Feathers' books are themselves considered pretty fecking good by most professionals, that's a heck of an endorsement right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

The TOC of that book looks great; will pick it up.

Sparks K&R is which book? I missed that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Sparks K&R is which book? I missed that one

K&R is the definitive book on C (and actually really well written - if more language reference books were this good...)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There's a reason it's called The Bible.

Advertisement