Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise from birds

Options
  • 19-02-2014 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭

It's around this time of year when the birds are getting up earlier and making a racket outside our bedroom window waking us up (mostly waking the OH).

We're living in a basement flat which is at ground level at the back where the bedroom is. We don't have access to the back garden beyond a view from the window, it belongs to the house next door.

I'm looking for a non obtrusive method of discouraging birds directly around the back window. There's a few bushes and small trees around where I think they're perched but I can never see them when I look out the window.

Is there any noise devoices like the rodent repellers or something like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Get a cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

djimi wrote: »
    Get a cat?

No pets allowed.

More info: it's a listed building with single pane sash windows. Is there a way of increasing the soundproofing without doing anything major like getting double glazing.

The OH had moderate success with earplugs and white noise last summer when it was a problem but it wasn't always effective. Any other distraction measures we could try?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Hanging CDs from the trees might work, birds don't like shiny objects and they will find another area to mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

you can get curtains with sound proofing in the lining
    not sure on effectiveness or cost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Was looking at something like this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007RM67ME?ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links
    But it seems to have mixed reviews

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ear plugs. Very effective for airborne noise like birdsong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Shot gun , maybe slightly noisyer than the birds :)
    Wouldn't think there's much you can do ,CDs ,sonic bird scarers ect will only do so much ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

get a plastic hawk or similar and leave it sitting on your fence

Advertisement