Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix / Linux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

The package netflix-desktop is another option that works fine - also fewer steps than in that one above

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

As both options above require Wine apparently, I would prefer to run a locked down Win install in a VM and keep my Linux install free of that Wine quasi-Win stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of Wine either - although I do like Netflix!

Out of curiosity does anyone know how Netflix works on Android? Surely it's not a Wine configuration there :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Grudaire wrote: »
    Out of curiosity does anyone know how Netflix works on Android? Surely it's not a Wine configuration there :P

There is a native android app, and it runs just fine.

Surely that is Java/HTML 5 based? I would have assumed that it wouldn't be much work for them to port it to linux?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

With an x86 port of Android becoming available, maybe Android in a VM will work, in place of Win in a VM ..... will be interesting to watch ......

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭human 19

Have it working on Arch thanks to their wiki

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pipelight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

J_A_F_A wrote: »

will this also work for SkyGo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Grudaire wrote: »
    The package netflix-desktop is another option that works fine - also fewer steps than in that one above

netflix-desktop installed/worked without any trouble for me; but the performance is pretty bad on my PC :( It's not unwatchable, but it's a bit choppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

UCDVet wrote: »
    netflix-desktop installed/worked without any trouble for me; but the performance is pretty bad on my PC :( It's not unwatchable, but it's a bit choppy.

What's the spec on your box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Official desktop support imminent, as Netflix move from silverlight to html5
    We new it was coming, but it's official now :-)
    http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/19/6552939/desktop-linux-is-finally-getting-netflix-support
    Netflix will play with Chrome stable in 14.02 if NSS version 3.16.2 or
    greater is installed. If this version is generally installed across
    14.02, Netflix would be able to make a change so users would no longer
    have to hack their User-Agent to play.

What is the process of getting a new NSS version into the update
    stream? Or can somebody please provide me with the right contact?

Thanks!

-Paul from Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I had netflix-desktop working on Mint 16 up to a point, but somewhere along the way it stopped working, possibly due to not liking my graphics card/driver.
    I set about fixing it a couple of weeks ago and discovered the Chrome option. NSS3 threw a couple of errors on install, but it still works with a change of user-agent string. It's a far superior option compared to netflix-desktop so far.

Advertisement