Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unrooted NookHD+ VPN question

Options
  • 19-02-2014 10:42am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi

I bought a Nook HD recently and love it. There's 2 things I'd like to do but haven't been able to so far so hopefully there's some genius on Boards with advice.

The first thing is I'd like to use an IP/VPN unblocker - to watch the BBC iPlayer on it occasionally and use the B&N bookstore. On my laptop I use the Hola extension on Chrome - and it works really well as it allows me to set my location to the UK for the iPlayer or the US for the Bookstore and it's free.
    I downloaded the Hola app from Google Play and it looks like it's working but when I try the Bookstore or the iPlayer it doesn't work. I'm not sure whether this would only work on a rooted device but I don't want to root it - combination of liking the UI as it is and not having the tech skills.

Secondly Flash would be handy. There is a B&N flash app plugin that's available free but has to be "purchased" through the book store and for that I have to be in the US - failing as I can't mask the IP. I downloaded Puffin Browser app but it only gives 15 days of Flash. It's not essential but would be handy.

The Hola App works for giving me access to teh US Netflix as you open the app and open NEtflix from within but there isn't a similar link for the iPlayer.

For anyone thinking of buying a Nook or Kindle, one really nifty thing I can do on the Nook HD is borrow ePub Library books from the Dun Laoghaire Library straight from my Nook HD by downloading the Overdrive App and having entering my Adobe login details. It's really handy and free. As far as I know, Kindles don't do library borrowing.

Thanks for reading.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

teecee74 wrote: »
    Hi

I bought a Nook HD recently and love it. There's 2 things I'd like to do but haven't been able to so far so hopefully there's some genius on Boards with advice.

The first thing is I'd like to use an IP/VPN unblocker - to watch the BBC iPlayer on it occasionally and use the B&N bookstore. On my laptop I use the Hola extension on Chrome - and it works really well as it allows me to set my location to the UK for the iPlayer or the US for the Bookstore and it's free.
    I downloaded the Hola app from Google Play and it looks like it's working but when I try the Bookstore or the iPlayer it doesn't work. I'm not sure whether this would only work on a rooted device but I don't want to root it - combination of liking the UI as it is and not having the tech skills.

Secondly Flash would be handy. There is a B&N flash app plugin that's available free but has to be "purchased" through the book store and for that I have to be in the US - failing as I can't mask the IP. I downloaded Puffin Browser app but it only gives 15 days of Flash. It's not essential but would be handy.

The Hola App works for giving me access to teh US Netflix as you open the app and open NEtflix from within but there isn't a similar link for the iPlayer.

For anyone thinking of buying a Nook or Kindle, one really nifty thing I can do on the Nook HD is borrow ePub Library books from the Dun Laoghaire Library straight from my Nook HD by downloading the Overdrive App and having entering my Adobe login details. It's really handy and free. As far as I know, Kindles don't do library borrowing.

Thanks for reading.:)

I have both the HD & HD+ & love them!!

Brilliant tablets & sooooo cheap!

You should be able to buy the B&N flash app from the book store on your laptop using chrome & Hola.

As for rooting, it's so easy I managed it no problem!!

I followed a very straight forward guide & used a Youtube video to support me through the process.

I'm not techie at all but love a challenge!

I found it really quite simple to do. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭teecee74

Thanks Keredern, I'll give it a go although I didn't think I could buy an app on my laptop. I'll check out the rooting too.

teecee74 wrote: »
    Thanks Keredern, I'll give it a go although I didn't think I could buy an app on my laptop. I'll check out the rooting too.

You should be able to buy anything from the Nook store on your laptop.

I buy all my content this way & it is then downloaded to my device.

Please let me know how you get on!

Good luck. :)

Advertisement