Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use same auctioneer as neighbour, good idea or bad idea?

Options
  • 19-02-2014 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, We're considering selling our house. It's a 3 bed semi and we have 3 kids + me and wife so we're a bit cramped and want to move to a bigger house. A house a few doors up is also for sale so I'm debating whether to use the auctioneer they are using. Would this work well or is there a disadvantage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

When we bought our house, three houses were for sale in the same area all with the same estate agent. We arranged a viewing and got to see all of them on the same morning. We were initially more interested in one of the other houses when we arranged the viewing and actually only wanted to view that one, so if the one we ended up buying had been listed with another EA, we may not even have bothered viewing it. We liked that one better in the end though so I'm so glad we got to see it as well! So I think it's a good idea anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,853 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If your house is identical and not lower priced, the fact that (as mentioned above) the EA will likely show both houses at the same time to as many vieers as they can could stand against you. If its larger/better nick/cheaper, I don't see a downside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I suppose I'm a bit worried about pissing off my neighbour too. She's a nice old lady :D

Our houses are comparable, we have a side entrance and kitchen extension, she seems to have the house done up nicer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

omahaid wrote: »
    I suppose I'm a bit worried about pissing off my neighbour too.

Well you're planning on moving so why would you really care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

No guarantee that we can move, not sure how easy it is to sell these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

omahaid wrote: »
    I suppose I'm a bit worried about pissing off my neighbour too. She's a nice old lady :D

Our houses are comparable, we have a side entrance and kitchen extension, she seems to have the house done up nicer.
    If you are in an area where properties are selling, and if the EA provides a good service, then I see an advantage in having both properties on the same list: the core benefit is increased footfall.

It would be nice if your neighbour were happy with the idea. Why not have a word with her?

Advertisement