Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional work Australia

Options
  • 19-02-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi ive done some research on different places to do my regional work when i get to OZ, does anyone have any suggestions where to go where it was normal hourse, alrite pay and places to stay, I foun kununnura backpackers, Anyone know anything about this, or hostels that you stay in while doing regional work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Expect normal hours in regional work to be at least 8 hours, probably 10 hours and possibly 12 hours on some days. 10 hours would be a safe bet.

If you are working rural, on a property, 10km, 20km or 50km from the nearest town there may not be much to do after work finishes.
    It makes more sense financially to do 10 hour days while working rural. If your getting about $20 an hour, thats an extra $40 a day, which is an extra $200 a week if you are only working 5 days Mon-Fri. The weekends count towards your 88 days even if you don't work them as far as I know. If you have to work weekends you might get a better hourly rate, it depends who you are working for.

Australia generally pays penalty rates for most jobs for working outside your normal 38 hour week (penalty rates are overtime etc..), I'm not sure about rural work on farms though. It's better to be making money on the weekends than sitting around doing nothing. Also if you are on a farm property don't expect it to stop working just because its the weekend. It'll be hard work but you'll make some good money in 12 weeks you'll be there. If you do 10 hour days for 6 days a week (which is reasonable) that'll be AU$1200 gross. As a non Australian your tax is slightly higher (or used to be) compared to Australians. On average it works out to be about 27% I think, or at least it did for me. So you should be getting approx AU$900 a week after tax if you are doing those sort of hours.

I work in the oil/gas industry in rural QLD for 3 weeks at a time and get 1 week off. My days are 12 hours for the entire 3 weeks with no days off.

A friend of mine worked in/near a town called St. George a few years ago not too far away from where I'm working for his rural work. He was getting $19 per hour and more driving tractors than fruit picking.

If you base yourself in Brisbane (I'm sure its similar in other big cities too), there are companies that look for backpackers to do rural work and have buses organised to bring you out to the where the work is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Hi ive done some research on different places to do my regional work when i get to OZ, does anyone have any suggestions where to go where it was normal hourse, alrite pay and places to stay, I foun kununnura backpackers, Anyone know anything about this, or hostels that you stay in while doing regional work?
    In April the cotton ginning season starts in nsw. I worked in a place near morre it's the closest town 90mins away ; ) . The cotton gin was called collymongle.company is called Queensland cotton. There is serious money to be made there but work is intense . 12 hour days 10 days on 2 off. There are plenty of other cotton gins around moree too. You have to Do a medical and join some union t work there. I stayed 3 months made at least 25000 dollars. Worked a bank Holliday and was getting 64 dollars an hour for 12 hour shift. There is nothing t do when finished work that's d only thing . Only drink or go fishing. Plus no phone signal have t drive 30 mins t make a phone call and need an aerial for internet. Plus you must have a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

In April the cotton ginning season starts in nsw. I worked in a place near morre it's the closest town 90mins away ; ) . The cotton gin was called collymongle.company is called Queensland cotton. There is serious money to be made there but work is intense . 12 hour days 10 days on 2 off. There are plenty of other cotton gins around moree too. You have to Do a medical and join some union t work there. I stayed 3 months made at least 25000 dollars. Worked a bank Holliday and was getting 64 dollars an hour for 12 hour shift. There is nothing t do when finished work that's d only thing . Only drink or go fishing. Plus no phone signal have t drive 30 mins t make a phone call and need an aerial for internet. Plus you must have a car.

Ya id rather go somewhere near a town and with other backpackers, and i just want to do the regional work and then move in somewhere depending if i like it id stay, would ye recomend anywhere or any lart of OZ i dont know would i do fruit picking or tree anti g or whAt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Ya id rather go somewhere near a town and with other backpackers, and i just want to do the regional work and then move in somewhere depending if i like it id stay, would ye recomend anywhere or any lart of OZ i dont know would i do fruit picking or tree anti g or whAt

Innishfail in Queensland there is a few hostels there help sort you out with work. It's fairly hot up there ; )Pickin bananas all day in a field. It's hard work. Have t watch out for d spiders and snakes around d banana plants. Mildura is another spot hostels help u get work too. Orange pickin mainly there. There is a place outside Melbourne called Lilly dale could try there for farm work . Are u in oz at the moment or heading over soon ?

Innishfail in Queensland there is a few hostels there help sort you out with work. It's fairly hot up there ; )Pickin bananas all day in a field. It's hard work. Have t watch out for d spiders and snakes around d banana plants. Mildura is another spot hostels help u get work too. Orange pickin mainly there. There is a place outside Melbourne called Lilly dale could try there for farm work . Are u in oz at the moment or heading over soon ?

Ah cool thanks, ill give them a look up, i dont mind the heat at all. Im heading over on my own unfortunatelly there hope to go in may or before it before june nyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Ah cool thanks, ill give them a look up, i dont mind the heat at all. Im heading over on my own unfortunatelly there hope to go in may or before it before june nyway

The heat will definitely be a shock to you when you arrive. When its really hot the wind is warm, the air is warm and if its humid its stifling. It'll take a week or two to adapt to it.

If you're out in the sun all day you will probably be drinking 6-10L of water a day just to stay hydrated. Wear a big floppy hat and despite what you might think, wear loose fitting cotton long sleeve shirts. It might be a bit more uncomfortable than a short sleeve t shirt but you will avoid getting burnt. It only takes about 15 minutes over here before you start to burn.

pete4130 wrote: »
    The heat will definitely be a shock to you when you arrive. When its really hot the wind is warm, the air is warm and if its humid its stifling. It'll take a week or two to adapt to it.

If you're out in the sun all day you will probably be drinking 6-10L of water a day just to stay hydrated. Wear a big floppy hat and despite what you might think, wear loose fitting cotton long sleeve shirts. It might be a bit more uncomfortable than a short sleeve t shirt but you will avoid getting burnt. It only takes about 15 minutes over here before you start to burn.

Ok cool thanks for the heads up,nothing worse than working when burnt

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭corkgirl88

I worked on a farm in tully in Queensland. There is a hostel in the town and they will organise the work for you if you stay with them.

If you google the town the name of the hostel is easy to find. The manager is Paula and also an Irish girl works in reception there. They should be able to tell you iv there is work at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I just drove from cairns down to bundaberg looking for regional, Tully should have work, i reckon corkgirl is talking about banana barracks, they seem nice enough she said ring again in a week, the town is the most depressing place I have ever seen though, Ayr looks nice they again said work should be starting in a few weeks, nice people in the hostels aswell telling you the waiting times, only $150 pp for a double room in Ayr backpackers,
    Bowen was a ghost town, we checked one hostel it was Sunday so it was closed then left!, in bundaberg now which is way bigger than I thought but have decided not to bother doing regional work now!

Is this a legit websote or company, was thinking going through them to get regional work http://2ndyearvisajobs.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Check out agworkforce for regional work..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Is this a legit websote or company, was thinking going through them to get regional work http://2ndyearvisajobs.com/

Could be wrong but when my girlfriend was looking for regional work I'm pretty sure they were a load of bollox. Pretty sure she kept a wide berth of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Im in Kununurra myself working for a sandalwood company on their nursery, living in a house myself but everyone ive met is living in Backpackers, their are 3 in town I think with Kununurra Backpackers being the busiest. Wages up here seem to be better then other parts of Oz, however, since you are in the middle of nowhere everything seems to be a bit pricey as well, register with the Job Shop on their website and like them on Facebook, seems to be a load of new regional work starting in March, the Mango farms started hiring this week ive heard so it's best to get over here soon if I were you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 izzypopple

Legit company, but they look for a $100 fee for sending you off to working hostel (which you could find yourself without them) the work will get from them is fruit picking which from my opinion and from my own experience is the worse form of regional work you can do. Slave labour, long hours, working conditions are awful and pay is shocking.

Try get into the packing sheds or onto dairy farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Anybody with a trade or handy with tools/labouring should get away from the slave labour of fruit picking etc.... I've spent the last 6 months 7hrs from Adelaide on the coast doing construction work for 30bucks an hour and rented a room in a house for 100bucks a week and enjoyed every bit of it, granted im a spark but my girlfriend did oyster farming and grain processing and made decent money with super and all, met another Irish guy here last week only 20 moved down to work on a farm with very little experience and he has a ute 28bucks an hour and accomadation all included, I'm in Port Lincoln and there isn't many backpackers around here so not as likely to get taken advantage of and I can safely say I'm the only irish guy down here in a town of 15000 people bar that new guy an hour away. I'd rather eat my own a*se then pick fruit for months and live in a shed, each to their own.

Alot of mixed veiws, well i hope t be over end of may, and go to brisbane so will base my work around there or id go to queensland, i wouldnt mind fruit picking if it was 6 to 8 hours and goodish pay, but id rather a easier job, i have no real farm experience

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Alot of mixed veiws, well i hope t be over end of may, and go to brisbane so will base my work around there or id go to queensland, i wouldnt mind fruit picking if it was 6 to 8 hours and goodish pay, but id rather a easier job, i have no real farm experience

Brisbane is in Queensland...maybe have a look at a map before you head off. Without any farm ecperience or construction experience you may have to settle for fruit picking or some other low paid back breaking job. Jobs working 6 to 8 hours with goodish pay don't exist in this line of work. Be prepared to work hard or you find yourself using your return flight before you intended to. Some people coming over seem to think that Australia is the land of milk and honey...its not. You get out of it what you put in.

well i meant ill go to Brisbane first and then go to another part of queensland like cairns or townsville.i didnt explain very well. But ya i dont mind working hard, as long as i can pay my rent every week with the money i earn.I just want to get the regional done and out of the way. I dont plan on booking a return flight, i will have enough funds to get me home, and i also think ill stay for 2 years depending how the first year goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maevie88

Also wondering if this is a legit website..
    Anybody know for sure? Heading to Australia next week and my partner and I have both registered with them and paid €70 each to do so and since registering I haven't received any emails from the woman we had been emailing, I've sent her several emails in the last week but no reply, a bit worried now.. just hoping it's not a total scam..:/

Advertisement