Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas boiler off!

• 19-02-2014 1:03pm

I have a gas boiler for heating and water has turned off and won't come back on.
    Boiler was working ok but I turned off a number of radiators (3 out of 7 in the house) a couple of days ago - turned out at both ends of the radiators (2 nozzles) - must have something to do with that. I noticed that the pressure indicator on the boiler dropped down as a result.
    on the boiler I can only see gas usage / heat intensity dial and the on/off and clock time switch separate to boiler. The pilot light is out. Can't see a pilot light reset swith.
    Any ideas on how to restart this so I don't freeze!

Comments

glasso wrote: »
    I have a gas boiler for heating and water has turned off and won't come back on.
    Boiler was working ok but I turned off a number of radiators (3 out of 7 in the house) a couple of days ago - turned out at both ends of the radiators (2 nozzles) - must have something to do with that. I noticed that the pressure indicator on the boiler dropped down as a result.
    on the boiler I can only see gas usage / heat intensity dial and the on/off and clock time switch separate to boiler. The pilot light is out. Can't see a pilot light reset swith.
    Any ideas on how to restart this so I don't freeze!

I know that the water system in the house is a system that needs pressure to operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

More info needed make and model of boiler or even a pic of boiler

Robbie.G wrote: »
    More info needed make and model of boiler or even a pic of boiler

thanks for reply. not at home but can post pic and/or try to get model number this eve...

It's a mynute 14e. The pressure is down at 0 bar. When I switch the timer switch to on I just hear a click inside the boiler a second later but nothing happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

It's a mynute 14e. The pressure is down at 0 bar. When I switch the timer switch to on I just hear a click inside the boiler a second later but nothing happens.

You need to bring the water pressure up to about 1 bar and it will come on then . Filling valve should be in the hotpress . Of you post a couple of pics of the hotpress we should be able to instruct you

• Advertisement

attached valve pic - should I turn clockwise or anti-clockwise...? and by much? thanks.

two other pics of valves/knobs in press... one near pressure valve (only seems to turn a tiny bit either way). other two together, don't really seem to turn...

or do I have to go up to the water tank in attic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

The valve in the first pic should be open fully.There is a black knob under the pressure gauge make sure this is open also.
    The gauge is a auto fill valve with could be possibly jammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

attached valve pic - should I turn clockwise or anti-clockwise...? and by much? thanks.

Before you touch valve the red expansion pressure vessel has to be checked that it has 1 bar of air pressure with a car foot pump before filling system with water by turning the black knob on the pressure valve anti clockwise like a tap.
    Failure to check expansion vessel could result in major damage to heating + boiler. Its your safety system.

If in dought call a regestered gas engineer, legaly they are the only people who can open a gas boiler as some boilers have the red pressure vessel internaly.

there's another value / safety on top of the boiler also.

so I should turn the black valve on near the pressure iindicator anti-clockwise and then the red knob (one on it's own) anti-clockwise also/

• Advertisement

there's another value / safety on top of the boiler also.

so I should turn the black valve on near the pressure iindicator anti-clockwise and then the red knob (one on it's own) anti-clockwise also/

I did this and no effect... maybe will have to get in a plumber/engineer?

I did this and no effect... maybe will have to get in a plumber/engineer?

Although could do without the cost.. any other ideas...?

scudo2 wrote: »
    Before you touch valve the red expansion pressure vessel has to be checked that it has 1 bar of air pressure with a car foot pump before filling system with water by turning the black knob on the pressure valve anti clockwise like a tap.
    Failure to check expansion vessel could result in major damage to heating + boiler. Its your safety system.

If in dought call a regestered gas engineer, legaly they are the only people who can open a gas boiler as some boilers have the red pressure vessel internaly.

Red knob is the safety valve that should NEVER NEVER be touched or twisted. 80% chance it will leak afterwards and will need replacing.

+ pressure vessel advice ???

Please do not take offense, but you asked for professional advice, something we can help with, but sometimes it's better to bite the bullet and call somebody, it's cheaper in the long run.

scudo2 wrote: »
    Red knob is the safety valve that should NEVER NEVER be touched or twisted. 80% chance it will leak afterwards and will need replacing.

+ pressure vessel advice ???

Please do not take offense, but you asked for professional advice, something we can help with, but sometimes it's better to bite the bullet and call somebody, it's cheaper in the long run.

fair enough. just curious why it went wonky. not sure why turning off some rads had this effect - can't be a coincidence. must have changed the pressure somehow... I assume that it's still safe to use the immersion so that showers are possible!? the electric blanket will be in operation tonight..

Immersion is ok but remove electric blanket from the dog house when/if your let back in. !!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

What COULD have happened is this.....

One or some of the rads that were on may have had some air trapped in them, maybe the expansion vessel in your boiler is down on charge or flat, and the rads were acting as expansion for the system, tuning them off at both side would have then caused you boiler to dump water at the safety valve the next time it was used, leaving you with zero pressure after it cooled down.....but that's just a guess

Would suggest get a full boiler and system check to be sure.

thanks for help. wasn't forcing valve knob enough anti-clockwise. opened it and let water in and sorted. cheers... some heat again...!

Advertisement