Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canvassing problems

• 19-02-2014 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm unsure if this is the correct place for this or not.

Last night, while I was out of the house, there was some political party canvassing around the area.

They knocked on our door, but got no answer (my wife is 7 months pregnant and has a broken shoulder to boot, she is not very mobile, and so ignored the caller). It would have been fairly obvious that someone was home, so the canvasser outside just kept knocking, knocking, knocking until my wife was forced to get up and open the door.

This is apalling behaviour, and reflects pretty badly on the party involved. By the way, as soon as my wife heard the name of the party, the door was promptly shut in the face of the canvasser.

I'm quite upset and angry about this incident, it is tantamount to harassment.

Are there rules or anything surrounding this type of thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I bet it was Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I bet it was Fianna Fail.

you've just lost yourself a bet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Knocking on a door is not harassment, unless there was some accompanying aggressive behaviour. TBH, closing the door in someone's face is more aggressive than knocking on a door

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Strange behavior really, certainly not a way to engage with people. Most people have the cop on to realize that if someone does not want to come to the door then they do not want to come to the door. Most candidates would have told their canvassers to move on if someone does not come to the door, irrespective of whether you know someone is in or not.

It is not unusual to see people in a house that do not come to the door, even when they know there is someone there. It is their business whether they want to engage or not.

If I were you, I would ring the candidate who the canvasser was knocking on behalf of just to give them a heads up that it happened. It might be a first time candidate or the likes who is still getting used to knocking on doors.

28064212 wrote: »
    Knocking on a door is not harassment, unless there was some accompanying aggressive behaviour. TBH, closing the door in someone's face is more aggressive than knocking on a door
    Thanks you for describing a situation that did not happen, very helpful.
    Strange behavior really, certainly not a way to engage with people. Most people have the cop on to realize that if someone does not want to come to the door then they do not want to come to the door. Most candidates would have told their canvassers to move on if someone does not come to the door, irrespective of whether you know someone is in or not.

It is not unusual to see people in a house that do not come to the door, even when they know there is someone there. It is their business whether they want to engage or not.

If I were you, I would ring the candidate who the canvasser was knocking on behalf of just to give them a heads up that it happened. It might be a first time candidate or the likes who is still getting used to knocking on doors.

It's not. I don't know who the exact candidate was, as the proferred leaflet was not accepted.

• Advertisement

Thanks you for describing a situation that did not happen, very helpful.
    :confused:
    the door was promptly shut in the face of the canvasser.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

:confused:

Context mate, it was contstant knocking over a prolonged period. The person inside the house obviously didn't want to answer.

It wasn't just "knocking on a door" - but thanks for your contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

+1.

Context mate, it was contstant knocking over a prolonged period. The person inside the house obviously didn't want to answer.

It wasn't just "knocking on a door" - but thanks for your contribution.
    Were they banging on it in a threatening way? Did they refuse to leave after being asked? Prolonged knocking is not harassment. The only possible way you could argue that it was harassment is if the knocker could see the person inside and could see that they weren't going to answer, and continued knocking regardless. Unless that happened, then the knocker has no way of knowing whether, for example, the resident was in the shower, out the back, hoovering, etc. etc.

OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

fairly bad I was out canvassing last night and we deliberately skipped a few houses with elderly residents who would not be comfortable with answering the door at night.

considering you are out to get votes most canvassers strive to make a good impression

In fairness to the above, there's no way the canvasser would have known my wife is a. pregnant, b. has a broken shoulder.

however, I do think the persistent knocking until there was an answer was wrong.

In fairness to the above, there's no way the canvasser would have known my wife is a. pregnant, b. has a broken shoulder.

however, I do think the persistent knocking until there was an answer was wrong.

the generally done thing is knock once, wait and if there is no answer put a leaflet in the letter box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

So closing the hall door to your own home when someone outside has been persistently knocking on a door to your home and then when you open it you see someone you don't want to talk is aggressive?

What should they do ? Stand there and listen ?

amen wrote: »
    So closing the hall door to your own home when someone outside has been persistently knocking on a door to your home and then when you open it you see someone you don't want to talk is aggressive?
    I didn't say it was aggressive, I said it was more aggressive. It's a relative term, not an absolute one.
    amen wrote: »
    What should they do ? Stand there and listen ?
    Say "No thank you" and close the door. No need to shut it in their face

Well, that's more or less what happened.

knockknock
    ignore
    knockknockknockknockknockknockknockknockknockknock
    struggle struggle
    knockknockknockknockknockknockknockknockknockknock
    open door
    "Hello, I'm from X-Party..."
    "Nope, thanks" Close door
    *boggle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I didn't say it was aggressive, I said it was more aggressive. It's a relative term, not an absolute one.

Say "No thank you" and close the door. No need to shut it in their face

If someone undesirable is at the door how to you close said door if not "in their face"??

Do you ask them to turn around so they have the door closed on the back of their head??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I am a party canvasser of many years' experience, I can tell you that there is no way any canvasser I have workd with would behave like that.

Normal practice is to knock or ring once, wait about 30 secs, maybe have one more go and if there is still no answer, move on.

A canvasser who keeps persisting is not only annoying the occupier, he/she is also wasting time that is needed at other doors.

The most disappointing thing is that I have sent three emails to members of the party - a local councillor who I think they canvasser would have been knocking for, a TD also from the area and the party leader.

No response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The most disappointing thing is that I have sent three emails to members of the party - a local councillor who I think they canvasser would have been knocking for, a TD also from the area and the party leader.

No response.

Keep sending them emails. It is only fair after all the knocking. See how they like it :)

• Advertisement

they'll shut their inbox in my face :(

So, I had a reply from the sitting TD local to my area, apologising for any upset caused.

Less than 24 hours after I sent the email to them, which I appreciate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'd have just told them to fcuk off, which is what I'm going to say to anyone who calls to my door. I'm especially looking forward to saying it to the Labour Party candidate, seeing as I've voted for them all my life, but never ever again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

seeing as I've voted for them all my life, but never ever again.

Dare I ask why?

miju wrote: »
    Dare I ask why?

I actually thought they were a party of principles, but then this happened:

There were still a few principled members amongst them, such as Roisin Shortall, but most of them are nothing more than sleazy opportunists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I agree with Laoch na Móna

imho prolonged knocking or bell ringing is harassment.

If there is no reaction form house within 30 secs most canvassers put there canvassing card in the letter box and move on

I think canvassing is part of the democratic tradition. Unless too busy I always talk to canvassers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Were they banging on it in a threatening way? Did they refuse to leave after being asked? Prolonged knocking is not harassment. The only possible way you could argue that it was harassment is if the knocker could see the person inside and could see that they weren't going to answer, and continued knocking regardless. Unless that happened, then the knocker has no way of knowing whether, for example, the resident was in the shower, out the back, hoovering, etc. etc.
    weeks

May not be harassment, but it certainly borders on bad manners.
    Mind you, if it was a canvasser from either of the present crowd in power, from what`s been going on for the past two weeks, bad manners and contempt for the ordinary people of this country seems to be a given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

FG Then?

it was SF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

it was SF

i guessed as much, they train their candidates very well, same cannot be said for their canvassing teams, or talliesmen for that matter. Elbows out lads

Thing is, most of them won't even knock at the door. They're too embarrassed. Just take a look at this Emer Costello poster, trying to keep on to her co-opted seat in the pointless European Parliament. It doesn't even mention that she's a member of the Labour Party :D

emer-costello-logo-365x500.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Were they banging on it in a threatening way?

Where I was brought up, you knock on a front door in a calm civilised manner. Unless your house is ablaze, or someone has collapsed in your garden with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. But apart from those extenuating circumstances, 'banging' persistently on a complete stranger's front door can only be interpreted as pig ignorant aggressive behaviour in my books.

Where I was brought up, you knock on a front door in a calm civilised manner. Unless your house is ablaze, or someone has collapsed in your garden with a gunshot wound to the abdomen. But apart from those extenuating circumstances, 'banging' persistently on a complete stranger's front door can only be interpreted as pig ignorant aggressive behaviour in my books.
    :confused: The only person who mentioned "banging" was me, and that was a question. Nothing the OP has said suggests that the canvasser did anything other than knock in a calm civilised manner. The only question at hand seems to be whether "persistent" knocking, on its own, can constitute harassment

:confused: The only person who mentioned "banging" was me, and that was a question. Nothing the OP has said suggests that the canvasser did anything other than knock in a calm civilised manner. The only question at hand seems to be whether "persistent" knocking, on its own, can constitute harassment

Persistent knocking can be a lot more annoying than somebody who bangs on the door once or twice and then moves on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Knocking repeatedly on someone's door, it's not good manners.

There's nothing aggressive about closing your own front door on someone who's had the neck to try and push some unwanted propaganda on the doorstep.

I admonished some religious recruiters one morning at 9am for knocking doors and ringing bells spreading their message.

Do you really want aged or infirm people to think that there's some emergency at the front door that must be answered?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

There's nothing aggressive about closing your own front door on someone who's had the neck to try and push some unwanted propaganda on the doorstep.

I admonished some religious recruiters one morning at 9am for knocking doors and ringing bells spreading their message.

Do you really want aged or infirm people to think that there's some emergency at the front door that must be answered?

Persistent knocking can be a lot more annoying than somebody who bangs on the door once or twice and then moves on.
    Never mentioned either manners or it not being annoying. Doesn't make it "tantamount to harassment".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

:confused: The only person who mentioned "banging" was me, and that was a question.

Did I not quote you directly? O.K. I'll make it clearer for you. By asking earlier where they banging on the door in a threatening way. Why did you even ask that? Are you implying that you can actually 'bang' on someone's door in a non-threatening way? Because your question is a contradiction in terms.

The only question at hand seems to be whether "persistent" knocking, on its own, can constitute harassment

Sorry the only question at hand is the one the OP clearly asked at the end of his first post and that question was.......
    Are there rules or anything surrounding this type of thing?

6 posts in and you have made absolutely no attempt to assist the OP with his original question. Apart from a pointless and nonsensical swipe at his wife for closing the door in an ignorant pigs face.

Anyway OP, from what I know and I may be wrong. I don't think there are any specific rules governing the behaviour of political canvassers on the doorstep.

Did I not quote you directly? O.K. I'll make it clearer for you. By asking earlier where they banging on the door in a threatening way. Why did you even ask that? Are you implying that you can actually 'bang' on someone's door in a non-threatening way? Because your question is a contradiction in terms.
    What? I asked if they were banging on it, because the OP only said they knocked. If they were banging it might be construed as harassment. You yourself drew a line between "calm and civilised knocking" and "banging". Nothing the OP has said has suggested the canvasser was banging.
    Sorry the only question at hand is the one the OP clearly asked at the end of his first post and that question was.......
    Eh... the only laws regarding anything remotely in this area are laws regarding harassment, and the only thing I've tried to establish is whether there was anything the canvasser did that could be remotely construed as harassment
    6 posts in and you have made absolutely no attempt to assist the OP with his original question. Apart from a pointless and nonsensical swipe at his wife for closing the door in an ignorant pigs face.
    Which I already explained above. And thanked the OP when they clarified that they didn't just slam it in their face

Which I already explained above. And thanked the OP when they clarified that they didn't just slam it in their face

In fairness, I never said "slam", I said shut in the person's face.

Was my already annoyed wife supposed to listen carefully, politely decline and wait for the person to turn around. Or promptly shut the door. It was cold, raining and breezy, I wasn't in the house, and my wife is gestating our first child, and has a broken shoulder.

I'm glad she took the action she did, and yes, she felt harassed. Harassed by some ignorant person who just couldn't accept that someone might not want to hear their vitally important message. I don't care for your semantics, any dictionary definition of the word, or the law. My heavily pregnant and broken shouldered wife was harassed into opening the door on a dark, cold and wet night.

If you think that's ok, because you feel like arguing on the internet, then more power to you.

• Advertisement

In fairness, I never said "slam", I said shut in the person's face.

Was my already annoyed wife supposed to listen carefully, politely decline and wait for the person to turn around. Or promptly shut the door. It was cold, raining and breezy, I wasn't in the house, and my wife is gestating our first child, and has a broken shoulder.
    Again, I thanked you after you clarified. Initially it sounded like she shut the door in his face without saying anything. That would be, IMO anyway, rude. At least saying "No Thanks" first is quite different.
    I'm glad she took the action she did, and yes, she felt harassed. Harassed by some ignorant person who just couldn't accept that someone might not want to hear their vitally important message. I don't care for your semantics, any dictionary definition of the word, or the law. My heavily pregnant and broken shouldered wife was harassed into opening the door on a dark, cold and wet night.
    If it had been someone your wife wanted to see, would your wife have felt harassed? What behaviour did the canvasser exhibit that made it harassment, other than the fact that your wife didn't want to hear it, a fact which they could not have known until after the door was answered?
    If you think that's ok, because you feel like arguing on the internet, then more power to you.
    Why post if you only wanted opinions that agreed with you?

it was SF

i guess bad manners know no party boundaries. I'd be SF and no one I've canvassed with would be like that. Would you mind me asking what LEA you are in?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sinn Fein are just desperate for votes. :pac: :P

In all seriousness though, it can happen with any party and any company doing door to door sales. Inexperience usually, someone lacking in common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Never mentioned either manners or it not being annoying. Doesn't make it "tantamount to harassment".

At what stage does persistance annoyance become harassment?
    There has to be a correlation there somewhere.
    Hope so. Will help my assault case for kicking the ass of any ignorant fool that ever tries that on my front door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Prolonged knocking on a door is harassment.
    Knock once, maybe twice. If the person wants to answer the door then they will.
    Knocking repeatedly until you get an answer is the height of bad manners.
    What if it's an elderly/sick person living on their own, what if it's a parent trying to put their kids to bed.

There seems to be a growing sense of entitlement from certain types of individuals that call to houses.

Prolonged knocking on a door is harassment.
    Knock once, maybe twice. If the person wants to answer the door then they will.
    And if the person was in the bathroom, or a back room, or had headphones on, or any of a hundred other scenarios where they may not immediately hear the door? If the canvasser had been someone the resident wanted to talk to, would it still have been harassment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

And if the person was in the bathroom, or a back room, or had headphones on, or any of a hundred other scenarios where they may not immediately hear the door? If the canvasser had been someone the resident wanted to talk to, would it still have been harassment?
    In this context you leave a note. If the person at the door is important enough to the person in the house, they can get in touch with them.

Prolonged knocking by someone I don't know is only acceptable in an emergency.

So, in a further update, I had a second apologetic email from the Party and also a hand written letter from the local councillor who's team were canvassing in my area the night in question.

I'm happy enough with the outcome of my complaint, and fair play to them for thier comprehensive response.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Seriously, it's just not acceptable. I've no idea if you've ever done any canvassing but no one does this amongst the parties who actually get TDs because you're more likely to encourage someone to tactically vote against you than vote for you with this kind of behaviour. Regardless of party there will be households set dead against you who will never vote for you in the next election, you really do not want to give these people a reason to try and vote directly against you.

nesf wrote: »
    Seriously, it's just not acceptable. I've no idea if you've ever done any canvassing but no one does this amongst the parties who actually get TDs because you're more likely to encourage someone to tactically vote against you than vote for you with this kind of behaviour. Regardless of party there will be households set dead against you who will never vote for you in the next election, you really do not want to give these people a reason to try and vote directly against you.
    At no stage did I say I thought it was a good idea, only that I don't believe it constitutes harassment

• Advertisement
Advertisement