Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaver / Picatinny... Confused!

Options
  • 19-02-2014 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to but a rail for my remmy 700. I'm interested in the Warne M673. It's listed as Picatinny but the Burris Rings I'm looking at say Weaver.

Now I believe the systems are largely interchangeable and the difference has something to do with the groove spacings.... basically, can someone please clear this up before I but anything. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There is little difference between them. The main one would be the slot width and spacing. On a picatinny they are even, wide, and regular. On a Weaver they are uneven, narrower, and can vary from numerous slots to only 4.

The Picatinny allows for a greater range of movement of the rings. The Weaver, depending on make/brand, may not, and as such you may have trouble with eye relief/scope position. Rings designed for a Weaver will fit into a picatinny, and to the most part vice versa.

I've used both rails, but prefer picatinny, and have never had an issue with interchanging rings from one to another.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Other than a wider range of movement, is there any other advantage to a rail over the windage adjustable dovetail I already have. It's a pure hunting rifle. Is there an element of tactical & fashion that's making them popular?

Robotack wrote: »
    ....... windage adjustable dovetail.......

I'm sorry, but the brain has not woken up yet. Windage adjustable dovetail? The dovetal on your rifle is adjustable for windage? Or the rail you have on the dovetail is windage adjustable?

There is nothing tacticool about picatinny rails. They are a simple, yet highly functional piece of gear.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Here are my bases
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-tu-two-piece-bases.html
    The front ring twists in, the rear is held by windage adjustabe screws. Burris call them Trumount adjustable I think.

Arrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhh. Fecking internet keeps dropping out. Lets try this again.

That system you have is redundant. A good quality rail will be perfectly straight and when mounted directly to the receiver/action will reduce the scope height, provide more range in scope adjustments, and be more secure than using two separate systems to attach the rings/scope.

You don't need "gimmicks" like a wind adjustable rail. If you need the sort of adjustment that a windage rail provides then you need to look at the quality of the action holes, scope, etc. IOW when the scope is mechanically centred you should use a small amount of windage to get zero.

• Advertisement

... I'm buying the picatinny rail aren't I! ;)

Oh, you said it would reduce the scope height... Does it stand to reason that since I have high rings at present, medium might do with the rail?

... I'm buying the picatinny rail aren't I! ;)
    I don't know what you're doing but you asked:
    Other than a wider range of movement, is there any other advantage to a rail over the windage adjustable dovetail I already have.
    Hence the reasons i gave:
    Cass wrote:
    ...... will reduce the scope height, provide more range in scope adjustments, and be more secure ........
    Oh, you said it would reduce the scope height... Does it stand to reason that since I have high rings at present, medium might do with the rail?
    No. Maybe. Perhaps. Depends.

You have high rings and it leaves the scope a set height off the barrel. Depending on the height of the rail (on it's own) compared to the mounting system, rail & rings you currently have the high rings direct onto a rail will naturally sit lower. You need to work out the difference in height of both set ups and see if a change of rings is needed, wanted or necessary.

changing to medium rings as well as removing the mounting system may drop the scope too much and end up not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I'm looking to but a rail for my remmy 700. I'm interested in the Warne M673. It's listed as Picatinny but the Burris Rings I'm looking at say Weaver.

Now I believe the systems are largely interchangeable and the difference has something to do with the groove spacings.... basically, can someone please clear this up before I but anything. Thanks!
    picatinny rings will fit weaver and picatinny rails but weaver rings usually wont fit a picatinny rail.
    I have a set of burris signature weaver rings and there is no way they will go onto my picatinny rail.
    They fit my weaver bases though.
    This is my experience with both types but I have heard the opposite also.
    Its better to be safe and match your rings with your bases.

Zeissman most of the googling I've done says it should work the other way around. ie: Weaver rings should fit picatinny bases but not always visa versa. Interesting though as I'd planned to put signature rings onto a warne picatinny rail...

Can you even buy one piece weaver rails? When I google Weaver Rail I just get a pile of hit for Picatinny Rails.

• Advertisement

I have a two piece picatinny rail with Burris Signature Zee rings on the Remmy. Works perfectly. The two piece came with the rifle and i've no reason to change.

Cass do you mind me asking where you bought your rings? I have never found anywhere here with selection.

The states.

To be more precise they came over with the rifle. The rilfe (5R Mil-Spec) is apparently not allowed to be exported. however it can be brought out by the owner which in this case was the case. The rings came with her.

The Zee Signature allow for moa inserts into the rings. 0, 10, 20. If needed.

And are you using Medium or High with the sidewinder in the pic?

High. 1".

Advertisement