Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggested partitions/OS on new Windows PC build

Options
  • 19-02-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭

I will have a 250GB SSD and a 2TB HDD.

The machine will be used for Web dev, Media server and Gaming (in that priority).

I have the opportunity to install either Windows 7 64-bit and/or Windows 8. I'm not used to Windows 8 and not terribly keen on the interface, but I'm sure I felt like that about Windows 7 initially. In reality I'd prefer Windows 7, unless Windows 8 is likely to become a requirement for software in a few years?
    If so, I could setup the partitions so that I have one for Windows 7 and one for Windows 8. Or would VMWare be a better solution?

Also should I create a ghost image of the freshly-installed system to have as a backup? Suggestions on software to use?

Thanks

(Note to Mod, I posted this in Building and Upgrading, but it's probably better suited here so you can remove other post if you need)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Windows 7 Ultimate if you can manage it would give you the best of everything. Windows 8 isn't too bad once you install Classic Shell to return the Start Button to the bottom left of the screen, then it becomes quite usable with some nice explorer features that make life easier.

You could install Windows 8 to a VHD stored on the 2TB drive so you can play with it to see if you like it, if you don't then just delete the VHD - no messing with partitions. You can even dual boot if you want with the VHD - Virtual Hard Disk.

As for ghost images - simply create an image of the boot drive once everything is installed and all drivers are stable and working properly. Again, apply this image to a VHD so you can boot from it in an emergency. Imagex is a simple command line tool that's free though there are other 3rd party apps that will do it with a nice GUI if you prefer.

Virtual machines via VMware would work but of no use for gaming as they don't access the video card fully.

Ken

Advertisement