Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaffolding planks for a deck

Options
  • 19-02-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I am going to be building this in the coming weeks and i want to seek advice. i want to put a slight curve on each end so I was wondering what would be the best wood to face it with that i could put a curve on? please dont advise against using scaffolding planks as i ave heard all the arguments and i have made up my mind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Are they reclaimed planks you are using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

yes they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I know you don't want to hear it, but anyone who has timber decking in this country (and I have a deck I laid myself) will tell you that decking is lethal when wet or icy- and that's with proper decking that is grooved/ machined to provide a more tactile surface. Relatively smooth scaffold planking would be hazardous when wet, on a site when planks are very wet or frozen it's normal practice to turn them over to improve the grip; you can't do this when they are fixed down! Where smooth planking is used on public walkways (eg raised walkways in Glendalough and other public parklands etc) they are often covered with chicken wire to improve grip.

For the curved ends you could use rough sawn softwood (say 6x 1" or whatever suits), kerfed on the back with a handsaw or a circular saw set to 6 or 8mm cutting depth. I've done this for curved margins for raised beds etc and it works fine, but there is a bit of experimentation required to get the kerf spacing right.

Hi I wasnt planning on sanding them and to look at them they are quite rough which provides grip. I also should have mentioned that this will be 8 x 12 foot and only used for a table and chairs on sunny days halfway down the garden so it wont be underfoot very often. i am planning in putting a pergola over it after a few months but i'll start here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I like your idea and would love to see photos when you get it done. Do you mind me asking where you sourced your planks?

• Advertisement

siteserv or donoghues in lucan. 3.50 each. bargain. got 16 for less than 50 quid!

i'll take before and after pics.

Advertisement