Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forever 21 Cork??

Options
  • 19-02-2014 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Does any one of Forever 21 is confirmed to be opening in the space previously occupied by the moderne on patrick street?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Does any one of Forever 21 is confirmed to be opening in the space previously occupied by the moderne on patrick street?

Where's the Moderne gone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 misssunshine14

It was sold recently! They've kept the bridal section but have moved it around the corner to another unit..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup, The mod ren is gone:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I was never in there, but that space is fairly small looking for a forever 21?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I was never in there, but that space is fairly small looking for a forever 21?

The Moderne was huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Its gone Ohhh!! Another one bites the dust. mind you I went in there a few times recently and tis gone to pot they used to do funkish clothes back in my day

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

A retailer in town told me that 'Forever 21' was going into the space where the 'Moderne' was. It does go back a bit and I think there are either 2 or three floors. Retailer was lamenting the lost of business in their clothes store if it were to open up. Same person also mentioned 'Penneys' is expanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Looks like the timberland shop on grand parade has gone,passed last night and windows covered and notice up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

ofcork wrote: »
    Looks like the timberland shop on grand parade has gone,passed last night and windows covered and notice up.

Notice is for refurbishment, not closure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

UpCork wrote: »
    A retailer in town told me that 'Forever 21' was going into the space where the 'Moderne' was. It does go back a bit and I think there are either 2 or three floors. Retailer was lamenting the lost of business in their clothes store if it were to open up. Same person also mentioned 'Penneys' is expanding.

yeah i heard penney's are adding on the building next door, how they are going to join the two i can only guess another glass foot bridge upstairs....

but forever 21 would be major for cork, i know people who go to dublin just to shop there.

• Advertisement

hoodwinked wrote: »
    yeah i heard penney's are adding on the building next door, how they are going to join the two i can only guess another glass foot bridge upstairs....

but forever 21 would be major for cork, i know people who go to dublin just to shop there.

Anytime I'm in Dub I head straight for Forever 21 - they have fab jumpers and cardigans.

This person told me that Penney's will take over the building currently occupied by Jack Jones/VeroModa and expand that way

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭KatyBob

Whats the timeframe for all of this, roughly like? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Isn't Moderne a Cork institution? I've seen old black and white photos of Patrick Street from the 50s/60s and the Moderne is there looking pretty much the same as it does now. Perhaps it didn't move with the times?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

Still no news on this?? I for one cant see forever 21 going into the space of the Moderne... Isnt the whole front of that building listed?? Forever 21 would surely want large windows and that building is just too run down looking.

SarB89 wrote: »
    Still no news on this?? I for one cant see forever 21 going into the space of the Moderne... Isnt the whole front of that building listed?? Forever 21 would surely want large windows and that building is just too run down looking.

They do use older, historic buildings when needed.

forever21-new-york.jpg?w=361

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

evilivor wrote: »
    They do use older, historic buildings when needed.

forever21-new-york.jpg?w=361

That's in San Francisco - brings back good memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

SarB89 wrote: »

The building where Awear was would be another option too for them.
    there isn't really many "international" brands left to attract to cork city center is there sure Mango left about 5 years ago. one shop im surprised that is still open is French Connection, I rarely hear of anyone saying they bought something from there

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

Well that building looks amazing now to be fair... the moderne has nothing on that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope Cork gets a F 21 store

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

The building where Awear was would be another option too for them.
    there isn't really many "international" brands left to attract to cork city center is there sure Mango left about 5 years ago. one shop im surprised that is still open is French Connection, I rarely hear of anyone saying they bought something from there

Awear is very 'shallow' though. Walk in the door, stretch out your arm and you'll almost touch the back wall.

Moderne have split the business. The bridal section is now on French Church St and the other clothing is in a much smaller shop on one of the side streets to Patrick St. Can't recall which one but I passed it the other day. Presumably, the massive rental prices on Patrick St strike again. The Body Shop fecked off to Oliver Plunkett Street instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's where Tubes was on Cook street, spotted it yesterday myself. Looks like they're focusing on cheap clothes for teens, rather than having clothes for older women also.

Awear is very 'shallow' though. Walk in the door, stretch out your arm and you'll almost touch the back wall.

Moderne have split the business. The bridal section is now on French Church St and the other clothing is in a much smaller shop on one of the side streets to Patrick St. Can't recall which one but I passed it the other day. Presumably, the massive rental prices on Patrick St strike again. The Body Shop fecked off to Oliver Plunkett Street instead.

I believe the Moderne people actually owned the building which was sold as they downsized the business so rent wouldn't be a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Faith wrote: »
    It's where Tubes was on Cook street, spotted it yesterday myself. Looks like they're focusing on cheap clothes for teens, rather than having clothes for older women also.

Ah did you not see the quality shoe selection to the back of the store?! You haven't lived!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I thought the Moderne was really scruffy looking. Apart from the bridal section, the clothes in there were crap - really cheap and nasty looking. There seemed to be no flow to the shop at all. I think I went in there twice. And left fairly quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I thought the Moderne was really scruffy looking. Apart from the bridal section, the clothes in there were crap - really cheap and nasty looking. There seemed to be no flow to the shop at all. I think I went in there twice. And left fairly quickly!

At least there was somewhere to shop (albeit scruffy). Just drove down Patrick Street today and a shop on the right-hand side (Italian outfitters beside McDonalds) -closed, and just as you turn left onto Grand Parade, a lovely old building next to Lloyds Pharmacy closed also.

It's all very bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think Forever 21 seems to be just a rumour as a replacement for the Moderne.

According to the article below, Superdry (will most likely take the front) and Nando's will take (the back of) the former Moderne unit.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/new-lease-of-life-for-academy-street-270959.html

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

The Moderne Building is almost finished refurbishment and will be handed over to Superdry at the end of next week for fitting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

Go to Dublin to shop?

Go online instead. Much easier and if you need to exchange you can just send it back instead of having to go all the way back to Dublin.

http://www.forever21.com/EU/Product/Main.aspx?br=f21&lang=en-US

Anyone know what is going into the building where Wallis used to be next to Porters on Patrick Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

UpCork wrote: »
    Anyone know what is going into the building where Wallis used to be next to Porters on Patrick Street?

Holland and Barrett apparently.

Advertisement