Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a writing form of articulate?

Options
  • 19-02-2014 2:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭

To articulate your thoughts is to express your thoughts in speech.

Is there a writing form of this, like: "to literate your thoughts in text/writing" or something?

Can "literate" be used as a verb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I think that you have answered your question in the words in which you framed it: to express your thoughts in writing. Or simply write.

The adjective is more tricky, because the adjective articulate denotes a good quality of speaking. For writing, I'd often use lucid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Epistolize your thoughts, possibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I don't see why the word "articulate" cannot be used for writing; one can speak articulately while slurring words; they would not be enunciating correctly, but that wouldn't detract from what they were saying, much the same way as bad handwriting doesn't take away from the ideas being expressed by a writer.

As mentioned already, elucidate would do if you're really pushed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

How about "enumerate"? It can just mean to list out, but it can also (at least to me) have connotations of an ordered, cogent/structured sequence.

• Advertisement

I always thought enumerate was just a fancy word for "count"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

That is one of its meanings, for sure, but it can also be used when listing out a series of things (usually in the context of giving an opinion or a series of arguments for or against something).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

It's not a synonym for articulate though.

Advertisement