Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate agent wants copies of our passports - is this the norm?

Options
  • 19-02-2014 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

I've been renting in Ireland and abroad for over a decade and this is a new one on me. Is it common now? We have already paid the deposit and the first months rent(we moved in last night), they have the details for my bank and we supplied as requested a reference from our previous landlord and a reference from work. I've nothing to hide but I feel a bit uncomfortable giving that information to someone else to store "on file".

I'd appreciate thoughts on the matter.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

snubbleste wrote: »
    No.

So have I a right to feel uncomfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I dont even have a passport. Its not the norm, and there isnt much that they can do about it if you say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

We had to provide copies of our IDs in order to get our last apartment. The agent was going a bit OTT at the time with regards to references and all that though.

miezekatze wrote: »
    We had to provide copies of our IDs in order to get our last apartment. The agent was going a bit OTT at the time with regards to references and all that though.

Ours was a bit OTT as well. Any chance its the same agent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Have you signed the lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

syklops wrote: »
    Ours was a bit OTT as well. Any chance its the same agent?

It was Hooke & Macdonald in my case, that was about 5 years ago though.

Have you signed the lease?

Yes.

syklops wrote: »
    Yes.

Grand so, tell them to bugger off.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭clumsyklutz

The last two places I have rented I have had to give some form of photo id, didn't matter what, just had to be something with my picture on it. I would have thought it was quite normal, I don't really see what the issue is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Any official photo ID should suffice. I wouldn't give a copy of my passport, not because the agent would be untrustworthy, but once it is out there, it's out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I rent out some houses.
    If someone didn't give me a copy of photo ID (passport or driving licence) I wouldn't sign them up and would look for someone else.

I rent out some houses.
    If someone didn't give me a copy of photo ID (passport or driving licence) I wouldn't sign them up and would look for someone else.

ok. Whats the purpose of keeping it on file? Where does it get filed? Is it destroyed at the end of their tenancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I rent out some houses.
    What would be wrong with simply seeing the ID, without taking a copy?

Victor wrote: »
    What would be wrong with simply seeing the ID, without taking a copy?

I like to keep all the details in a file rather than in my memory.

Tenants are less likely to do a runner/misbehave if they think that the landlord can find them easily afterwards.

However, landlords have practically zero power to do anything even if rent is not paid. It's all a charade.

Tenants are less likely to do a runner/misbehave if they think that the landlord can find them easily afterwards.

How does having my ID or passport details enable you to find me were I to do a runner? Considering as I said, they already have a work reference from my job and a reference from my previous landlord, and they have my bank account details. What does having the passport details add to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

However, landlords have practically zero power to do anything even if rent is not paid. It's all a charade.

How are you protecting this sensitive data? Do you destroy these records once the tenant has moved on?

Would you agree to a tenant asking to keep a copy of your photo ID on file, for the same reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Do you furnish tenants with a copy of your ID?

I rent out some houses.

OP is signed up already though. I'd have serious concerns about data security.

• Advertisement

OP is signed up already though. I'd have serious concerns about data security.

As would I. Whatever about giving that sort of information to financial institutions etc, I have no assurance that my information will be stored correctly when handing it over to a private individual (be it a letting agent or a private landlord).

Rasmus wrote: »
    Do you furnish tenants with a copy of your ID?

They've never asked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

They've never asked :D

WOULD you furnish a tenant with a photocopy of your passport if asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

No way i would give anyone a copy of my drivers licence or passport without knowing what security is in place to protect MY information. will it be secured or available to other without my knowledge? Will all the copies been destroyed later. are they scanned into a pc and if so what standard of encryption and data protection will you be using etc.

I'd have no problem showing a landlord my passport etc and confirming my details, but a copy can be used in so many dodgy ways.

bumper234 wrote: »
    WOULD you furnish a tenant with a photocopy of your passport if asked?

No

No

Bit hypocritical of you then
    I rent out some houses.

Bit hypocritical of you then

If the prospective tenant doesn't like the terms then they are free to search elsewhere.

If the prospective tenant doesn't like the terms then they are free to search elsewhere.

true, you also possibly lose out on good tenants due to that attitude. Heads up....if someone is going to do a runner they usually don't care what info you have on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

No

Bit of a joke then, aren't ya?

OP: You've already moved in and signed a lease, they can't go making additional demands now, especially if they can't make assurances as to how the data will be protected. I would tell them you are not comfortable giving scans of any confidential ID, but that you'd be happy to show it to them.

• Advertisement

true, you also possibly lose out on good tenants due to that attitude. Heads up....if someone is going to do a runner they usually don't care what info you have on them.

I have never had anyone say that they would not give a copy of their ID.

Thank you for the heads up - it might come in useful some day.

Advertisement